Johns Hopkins MS-Computer Science through EP division.

UCLAColumbiaUNC

Does anyone have any opinion about this part-time MSCS program in Johns Hopkins' Whiting School of Engineering? even though this is a part-time program, the course list and degree requirement look challenging as well.

It's designed for working professionals, which many top-ranked CS schools have similar "professional programs".... I am just wondering if it's worth the expensive tuition.

I am thinking about UIUC's MCS (inside UIUC College of Computing) and JHU's MSCS (inside JHU Engineering for Professional division, not the regular CS department)....

• 1 month later...

Hey UCLAColumbiaUNC, have you decided which one to attend? I applied to both (and Gatech's OMSCS as well) and am waiting for decisions.

UIUC ranks #5 in CS, Gatech top 10, JHU #20-30 (however, JHU overall is the most prestigious brandname among the 3). I feel UIUC is really strong (same courses, same profs, same students etc.) and it's my first choice. JHU however offers more depth (UIUC requires 4 courses in 4 areas before specialization), and I feel you can really push yourself to get a great CS grad education. What JHU lacks is student-student interaction and alumni network (CS-wise). Gatech is weakest (only plus is it's 7k for the degree) because they are still converting courses to online format and it's been running for 1 year only (UIUC 10+ years, and it's the same courses as regular school anyway, JHU 20+ years). Who knows if few years from now Gatech kills the OMSCS program?

• 1 month later...

I am waiting for UIUC's decision, and I believe they render spring 2015 decision around Nov. 15th. If UIUC accepts me, then it's UIUC. I applied and was offered admission few years ago (couldn't attend because of personal reason), and I am hopeful that I will be admitted this time too.

JHU professional program should give you a decision pretty quickly. I got one in two days after submitting all required documents.

One problem I have with GaTech's online program is that you get a "conditional offer" before you take the first class, and then you get an "official offer" after you complete two classes with satisfactory grade. I don't like spending money on classes without knowing 100% for sure that I am in the program officially. Another thing is that they offer a lot of "conditional admission" to a lot of applicants, so that might hurt the reputation a bit if they accept too many students.

Edited by UCLAColumbiaUNC

• 2 weeks later...

Recently learned that UIUC online MCS is very limited in term of # of courses you can take. They don't offer independent study to online students (IMO independent study courses are even more appropriate for online) to cover more areas. So you have pretty much 20 courses you can take, cover quite a few areas but offer no depth (database/data mining seems to have the most courses, AI has only 2). This upsets me greatly considering same tuition for online students, I feel like I'd be just paying for the brand name... On-campus version is still great though.

I think the limitation on the course offering is pretty much the same anywhere at any school if you want to go with the online option. It takes a lot of resources to run the classes online, and it is not feasible to run all classes online if not all classes have high demand.

If you want to have the best selection of classes, then you should pursue the degree on campus in person, but you would give up the salary earning (and possible tuition reimbursement) from your current job if you don't live near campus.

It's no brainer. I would rather keep my current salary earning (and possible benefit of tuition reimbursement) by going the online route than giving up the salary and benefit just to have more selection of classes.