Great fit. Wants subject test. Too late?

kaswing

I'm planning to apply to 10-12 schools in several departments: I want to study Human- Computer Interaction, and that can be in psych, cog sci, computer science-- all over the place. I'm focusing on psychology, I/O psych, and cognitive science programs, since I don't have a background in CS. 

One of the psych programs I'm planning to apply to "desires, but doesn't require" the subject test. I haven't taken it or studied for it yet, and I don't have a psych degree. The advantage of this school is that they study HCI in many labs in several departments, and their areas of specification leave plenty of room for me to pursue my secondary interests. It is one of my favorite schools, but it is only one of many, and the time I'd spend on the subject test is time I wouldn't spend in the lab making progress on a potential conference paper-- my first.

Is it worth it to start studying for the test? Is it too late? If I don't take it, and I don't have the background, am I wasting an application fee? 

To answer this specific question, you might want to get a sense of my other qualifications, I have a BS in Business, Marketing, and an MBA with 3.4 and 3.6 GPAs respectively. (I realize the MBA won't be of much use anywhere except the I/O programs-- the school in question does have an I/O track.) I have worked with a psychiatry lab in decision-making (one of my secondary interests) for over a year and a human-computer interaction lab since February, where I now have a paid position. By the time I apply, I may have a working or perhaps conference paper if all goes as planned, but not a publication. My general tests scores were 170V/161Q and something reasonable on the AWA, but I forget specifically what it was. 

More generally, there are some things that not all schools require but one or two do: subject tests, writing samples, etc. I'd hate to not apply because of something so minor, but if I don't have it, I don't really want to invest the time in doing it (and doing it well) for one school when I could be in the lab! How do you make these decisions? 

Hi kaswing!

I would definitely call the department if you haven't already and ask if the subject test is actually an important part of the application. One of the schools that I cam applying to "recommends" the test on the website but the graduate advisor encouraged me not to take it because the department doesn't even look at the scores.

However, since you were not a psychology major it might actually be beneficial for you to take the test. By receiving a good score on the subject test, you will show that you have the necessary foundational skills in psychology that aren't necessarily represented in your coursework. It's definitely not too late to take the test. I think there is a date in October to take it, which will give you plenty of time before applications close! 

Is it worth it to start studying for the test? Is it too late? If I don't take it, and I don't have the background, am I wasting an application fee? 

as a non-psychology major talking to another i would strongly suggest you take the test. if you had a more 'traditional' background (i.e. major/honours in psych) you could probably skip it but i've found psych programs tend to be very, very picky with the people they let in and the moment you deviate from the standard candidate, it raises a red flag (unless you deviate in a REALLY good way).

years after i applied to my MA program my thesis advisor told me that i was sort of on the chopping block during the application process because of not having a psych BA or BSc but that my stellar score on the subject GRE (because i studied like CRAZY for it) was what saved me... and it sort of makes sense. as i assume it happens in most grad psych programs, you don't just only take courses directly related to your field. you'll have to get a few credits from maybe a social or personality psych course or a biopsych course and if you don't have degree in psych, it begs the question of whether you can handle these courses or not (which i'm sure you can, but admission committees don't know that). at this point, the only solid proof you can provide that you're well-versed in the major areas of psych would be the subject GRE. 

Edited by spunky

I have tossed out all the schools that have abnormal requirements like this. There are already enough hoops to jump through and I think its silly to act like they need that test to differentiate you from other applicants. I'm fine with writing samples since we all have them already from undergrad or other grad programs. But I am not going to take an additional test for a single school.

You might have enough time to study, but I've heard the test is actually pretty difficult. I've heard that even psychology majors can struggle a bit. Either way good luck! I'm applying to an array of programs this year. I'm hopeful, but more or less full of anxiety.

You could always study a bit, take it, and if you don't do well just don't send in the score *shrugs*.  In lieu of the score (if it's recommend, but not a requirement), make sure you use your personal statement to really emphasize the ways you've prepared yourself to enter the psychology field (keeping up with relevant journals, reading textbooks, research experience if you have any, etc).

You might have enough time to study, but I've heard the test is actually pretty difficult. I've heard that even psychology majors can struggle a bit. 

it's tricky, more than anything. and the tricky part stems from the fact that you're expected to be able to both recognize  and apply psychological theories and concepts more than memorizing facts about them. i only remember one or two questions related to my field (so in the methods/statistics section of the exam) but i remember going "oh boy. this is one of those questions where unless you really understand this stuff you're just gonna fall for the tricks".