NDSEG Fall 2014

gellert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!  Is anyone applying to NDSEG with chemistry?  My advisor wants me to apply.  Any helpful websites or sample essays you guys have found?  

Blah, has anyone had success submitting their GRE scores?  I had mine sent Oct 31, and they still show as "incomplete".  I'm wondering if I did something wrong, but I'm fairly sure I gave them the right registration number and gave ETS the correct code....

Never mind, I figured it out.  I had to call ETS to get the registration number for my general scores.  The registration number listed online was from the most recent test, which was actually a subject test.  Hopefully anyone else having this issue will find this useful.

Would mentoring a college student for a summer research experience program fall under teamwork or leadership?

Also, should work experiences in general (industry internships, instructional lab assistant gigs) go under teamwork?

Edited by ashikunta

How is everyone else including work experiences, like internships?

all of my internships were research internships, so they went into "research experience"

if they were not research oriented, then maybe they should go in group/leadership experience.

Uhh, I like only just now sent my GRE scores, am I screwed?

I sent mine in the day after you, and my scores were delivered on Dec 3. I'd say you're probably fine.

I recently submitted a first-author article but I haven't heard back from the journal yet. Is there a way I can include this in the Publications section if it's not published or accepted?

Just make sure to clarify that it is a submitted paper. I have one paper that is being written now, and I included it as "in preparation" - this is common practice afaik

So the application requires a reference/supervisor for all the work/research/leadership experiences. Does anyone know if they actually contact these references? Some of these experiences are from several years ago and I don't know even know if that reference is still there, or if they would remember me. Also, for experiences in student-run organizations, does anyone have any advice on what to put down for the "supervisor"? 

So the application requires a reference/supervisor for all the work/research/leadership experiences. Does anyone know if they actually contact these references? Some of these experiences are from several years ago and I don't know even know if that reference is still there, or if they would remember me. Also, for experiences in student-run organizations, does anyone have any advice on what to put down for the "supervisor"? 

From what I've heard (and read), the answer is no.  Could you imagine contacting every person that is listed on these applications?  It would just be impossible!

As for student-run organizations, you still typically need a faculty sponsor (at least we did at my school).  So I listed their name. 

Question: I'm an author on a paper that is currently under review. Is it appropriate to list this under "publications"? If yes, how would I list it? If no, where would be a good place to mention it?

Did anyone else get a confusing e-mail saying the GRE registration number they provided was linked to a subject test? I've never even taken a subject test, and have only taken the general GRE once. Obviously I've emailed the NDSEG folks, but I'm wondering if it was a mass email error.

Did anyone else get a confusing e-mail saying the GRE registration number they provided was linked to a subject test? I've never even taken a subject test, and have only taken the general GRE once. Obviously I've emailed the NDSEG folks, but I'm wondering if it was a mass email error.

I did.  I have also never taken a subject test and only took the GRE once. I contacted ETS and they said that my registration number was correct.  I emailed the NDSEG people and they told me that the problem is that I changed my name since I took the test.  I went back in and changed my name for my GRE scores and that fixed it.  

I did. I have also never taken a subject test and only took the GRE once. I contacted ETS and they said that my registration number was correct. I emailed the NDSEG people and they told me that the problem is that I changed my name since I took the test. I went back in and changed my name for my GRE scores and that fixed it.

Thanks for providing your experience! I just checked to make sure my name was correct and the same. Hmm, must be something else.

I received that email as well. After calling ETS and emailing NDSEG, I received the following response: "It appears you received yesterday’s notice in error. We apologize for any confusion caused and can confirm that your general GRE test scores have been successfully received and attached to you application."

Well that was a lot of unnecessary frustration...anyways, time to buckle down and finish some last 400 character responses!