NDSEG Fall 2014

gellert

Got it! Does anyone know how to tell which defense office/agency sponsors you?

I think eventually they will put up a 2015 awardees list on the site, like they have for 2012-14 currently. This has the sponsoring office listed for each person. But from what I can tell currently, no they haven't said which agency is sponsoring. 

Got it! Does anyone know how to tell which defense office/agency sponsors you?

I think you can figure it out based on your discipline. Look at the previous years.

I'm doing Computational Sciences/CS/CE, so I know my sponsor is likely the AFOSR. I even said that in my statement of goals that they should fund me.

I think you can figure it out based on your discipline. Look at the previous years.

I'm doing Computational Sciences/CS/CE, so I know my sponsor is likely the AFOSR. I even said that in my statement of goals that they should fund me.

Of course, could be ARO, but I don't think so! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The number people "getting off the waitlist" this year makes me think that maybe it really wasn't a waitlist and actually was just that one or more branches hadn't decided on all the awardees yet. Especially because all four people who have posted on the results search, myself included, applied for basic science and not engineering, while most of the people who got April 1st acceptances were in some sort of engineering discipline. Idk I've just never seen this many people all get off the "waitlist" before.

I targeted my proposal directly to the Army Research Office and the Office of Naval Research, so maybe one of them just sent their choices out around the 13th. Most of the people who posted about getting an award on 4/1 said they had written to the Air Force. I'm leaning pretty hard towards a branch by branch roll out of winners with the given info, but that's just my theory!

The number people "getting off the waitlist" this year makes me think that maybe it really wasn't a waitlist and actually was just that one or more branches hadn't decided on all the awardees yet. Especially because all four people who have posted on the results search, myself included, applied for basic science and not engineering, while most of the people who got April 1st acceptances were in some sort of engineering discipline. Idk I've just never seen this many people all get off the "waitlist" before.

You're very eager to apply logic to the NDSEG decisions! I got my acceptance on 4/7 and am in an engineering discipline. 

For now let us rejoice, and when they release the funding agencies we can resume determining NDSEG's logic of awarding fellowships.

I only recently finished the hoopla involved in the NDSEG application process.

Protip: your department should have an accountant or at least SOMEONE at your university can notarize your proof of identity. Failing that, go to your bank. But that first part shouldn't fail.

Haha moochie the sample size each year is relatively small and the results page is based entirely on voluntary posting of peoples results. So its hard to compare year to year what's the normal for people getting off the waitlist. I personally didn't apply to a specific branch, and my field (chemistry) gets funding from all branches.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people are still reporting getting the award, so i'm guessing they're not at a final list yet. Maybe after then they'll post it? Or maybe in September?

• 4 weeks later...

The list is up: https://ndseg.asee.org/ndseg_fellows/2015_awardees

Also made a list of awards by institution: 

18 University of California, Berkeley

18 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

17 Stanford University

9 Harvard University

8 University of Colorado, Boulder

8 Princeton University

7 Northwestern University

7 Georgia Institute of Technology

6 University of California, Los Angeles