Grad school does narrative evaluations, how does this affect further education?

okamzikprosim

So, while I know this is common with quite a number of undergraduate institutions, my graduate school appears to only give narrative evaluations. If I want to go on to another degree, such as a PhD, how will this affect my admissions? Does this get treated just like an undergraduate applying to a PhD from one of those schools or somehow else? The catalog specifically states you will only be evaluated if you actually pass at what is considered graduate level else your transcript will just state fail. Does that suffice for programs that look at graduate GPA?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the university you are coming from, but my guess is that your letters of recommendation and GRE scores will have more of an impact than they are for those who have actual GPAs.  Although, some universities are considered suspect because of either real or perceived grade inflation, so GPA may not matter as much anyway.

So, while I know this is common with quite a number of undergraduate institutions, my graduate school appears to only give narrative evaluations. If I want to go on to another degree, such as a PhD, how will this affect my admissions? Does this get treated just like an undergraduate applying to a PhD from one of those schools or somehow else? The catalog specifically states you will only be evaluated if you actually pass at what is considered graduate level else your transcript will just state fail. Does that suffice for programs that look at graduate GPA?

To my knowledge all graduate programs require either B average for GPA (which leaves room for a few Cs) or a minimum of a B earned in every and all courses within the program.  

So in essence if you have earned a Master's degree than your GPA must be at least 3.0, which is good enough for most (all?) programs.  

You might be able to request official "unofficial" grades, but as long as you are going to graduate from the program I would not worry about it.  I believe that in cases like this GRE and LORs would carry more weight.