MS in bio for a non-science grad?

hoth

Graduated from a top-tier undergrad business school with a second major in literature. Good GPA, great GRE score. Now, after 2 years of working as a medical copywriter (I write scientific texts and videos, etc. for oncologists), I realize how much sense science makes, how happy I am thinking about it, and how much potential good I can do with a proper scientific training. I want to get an MS in Bio.  How splendid.

Except: I don't have the slightest hint at undergrad prerequisites. I took a 3-credit Human Anatomy for non-science majors at a state college, that's it. 

So, question: does anyone know of a way for me to get into a life sciences masters?

I know there are pre-health post-baccs, but I think my career focus is not necessary going to be medicine. And I don't wanna lie to Bryn Mawr, saying that I wanna be a doctor when I really just want to take swamp specimens for a while and then work in science policy for the rest of eternity.

Your insights in exchange for my undying gratitude.

Edited by hoth

I'm not in biology.

I would take the introductory science courses(physics, chemistry, and biology), calculus 1 before I thought about trying to get into a masters class. Not to be crass, but its hard to tell if you can really handle a science program if you have only taken 1 science class (and one for non majors). There is the reason why science majors on average have lower gpas. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

That makes sense, thank you for the suggestion. I do have Calc II and Statistics under my belt, so luckily I can concentrate on bio+chem+physics. 

I'll second the suggestion to take first year intro courses in bio, chem and physics and then re-evaluating your plans for the future. It's great that you have Calc I and II and stats! I don't mean "re-evaluate your plans" as in "I don't think you'll still want to afterwards" but I agree with GeoDUDE! that you would need at least these courses to make an informed decision whether or not to proceed with plans. Also, I think this will show admission committees that you are serious about this change of focus. You may even have to take more bio courses afterwards too, since many Bio MS students would have Bio or Bio related undergraduate degrees.

Of all the programs I have looked into the most basic requirements are: one year of intro bio, one year of intro chem, one year of intro physics, and calc I.  A lab component should accompany all courses (minus calc, of course).  Most will also ask for additional courses in science and/or math, usually two more. 

I agree with the above posters. Not only will taking some prerequisite courses be beneficial to your application, but they will also be very help to you. Most master's courses (and upper-level undergrad courses) in biology would be very difficult and require a lot more work on your part without having the learned the fundamentals in biology and chemistry. You could get away without taking physics right now. Not all programs require them, and I've seen several programs that only asked for 1 semester. Based on my own experiences in my master's program, it would also be useful if you took a course in global change and genetics. They will likely be useful for both coursework and for a candidacy exam (if you plan on entering a master's program with a thesis option... I don't know if non-thesis programs have such exams).

You should also be prepared to enroll in some prerequisite courses once you're in a master's program, too. Many programs note that they will conditionally accept students missing some prerequisites, but that the student will have to enroll in those courses. In that case, you will find yourself taking longer to complete the program. You also might find yourself taking extra courses if you fail parts of a candidacy exam... in my own program, most students end up having some weakness in their background and are told to take an extra class or two. Sometimes a master's course will fulfill this requirement (which means not wasting time or money), but sometimes not.

Even getting an AS in biology could go a long ways towards helping you. I know of cases where people get a masters without a science degree, but I think it would be wise to talk to the grad program about the best way to go. I'd also look at regional state universities to see about getting on for less money as coming in without a science degree means you are more likely to have to pay for it.

Kind thanks, guys.

Vene, what do you mean I'd be "more likely to have to pay for it"? I didn't know master's programs could be subsidized. Excellent news, if so.

And to my question, more precisely: in addition to Vene's suggestion of an AS degree (thanks, that's useful), are there other ways for me to get the prereqs out of the way?

And to my question, more precisely: in addition to Vene's suggestion of an AS degree (thanks, that's useful), are there other ways for me to get the prereqs out of the way?

Some schools allow you to register as a "unclassified student" and take courses that won't count towards any degree. In some cases, this is easier to do at the school you did your undergrad. 

Also, in terms of cost, the cheapest option may depend on the schools you are looking at. Some undergrad schools have you pay tuition on a "per credit" basis, especially if you are an "unclassified student", while many grad schools charge tuition on a per semester basis (doesn't matter how many courses you take). So, if you find out that you will have to take an extra year to do your Masters because of the extra pre-req courses, you can consider whether it makes more sense for you to pay tuition for the courses individually or pay tuition for an extra year!

In addition, some schools will offer courses in the evenings and/or you can take courses part-time as an "unclassified" student, which means you are more likely to be able to keep your job and keep earning money while you take pre-req courses. On the other hand, part time might not be possible in a MS program. These are things you can consider when deciding to take your undergrad bio pre-reqs before or during your MS program!

I think what Vene is referring to is that like PhD programs, you can get a stipend, paid tuition, etc. as a master's student. From what I've seen, there are fewer of these available for master's students (although I've been looking at ecology and wildlife programs) and the stipends are typically lower. I've also only seen them associated with funding through a PI (as opposed to receiving a stipend through the graduate school or department). In my own program (which is at a state university), the only funding for master's students is through graduate assistantships (of which there are only 4 or 5 available), which covers tuition for 6 credits of coursework and provides a small stipend. I have one for this upcoming year. If I wasn't living in my parents' basement, I'd never actually be able to live off of it, but since I am, it works for me. However, I've seen some fellowships and TA's for masters at larger schools that do provide a sufficient stipend.

As for other ways to get your prereqs out of the way, check out state schools, because they tend to have the least expensive tuition, aside from community colleges. Like TakeruK suggested, compare the cost of flat-rate tuition to per-credit tuition when considering different avenues of getting them done. In my local area, most of the schools offer discounts if you take summer courses. The school I graduated from also actually has a "weekender program" where you can earn entire degrees taking a combination of weekend and online courses (although you are also welcome to take traditional courses, too). So you may be able to find a mixture of evening or weekend courses that won't interfere with your job.

TakeruK also brought up another important point - if you choose to take your prereqs while in your master's program, you may have conflicts with your work schedule. In fact, master's courses themselves might even conflict with your job. In my master's program, most courses are once a week, 5-8 pm, although occasionally there are ones that are 2 days per week. However, almost none of the undergrad courses are in the evening. So as you consider your program, if you are planning on staying at your job, make sure you check out the course schedules to get a feel of how it will work with your current schedule.

Awesome! So, next question:

Does it matter whether I take basic sciences at a state school with minimal academic cred (I'm looking at University of South Florida, since  that's my hometown) or at a university with excellent accolades, like Columbia (where I'd get to stay at my New York job)? Would I learn the sciences any differently at an ivy league?

Awesome! So, next question:

Does it matter whether I take basic sciences at a state school with minimal academic cred (I'm looking at University of South Florida, since  that's my hometown) or at a university with excellent accolades, like Columbia (where I'd get to stay at my New York job)? Would I learn the sciences any differently at an ivy league?

I don't think there would be much difference, and in fact, the quality might be higher at a university where they don't  use TA's or have as many students taking the classes. In fact my friend is doing Columbia's post bacc and hates her classes there (though she came from a small liberal arts school). 

Especially at the undergraduate level, the chemistry, physics, and biology are very introductory and curriculum doesn't have super high variance from place to place. from Intro Physics to Quantum mechanics, at the undergraduate level, the classes are more or less the same anywhere. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

I agree, I don't think it matters where you take your intro courses as far as the admissions committee is concerned. However, as GeoDUDE mentioned, you might get more out of class at a smaller school with fewer students in the class. I personally hate mass lectures. You can't really avoid having a lot of students in intro classes like that, but in my opinion, it's much better to be in a classroom with 40 students than 150. Looking at it from the professor's perspective, in a small class, if 10% of the students were having trouble grasping concepts and asked questions, it would take little time to clarify each concept and move on. In a large lecture of 150 students, that same percentage of students will amount to a lot more time being taken up to review what was just said, and ultimately, the professor would have to blow off some students in order to fit the lecture into the time slot.

Kind thanks, guys.

Vene, what do you mean I'd be "more likely to have to pay for it"? I didn't know master's programs could be subsidized. Excellent news, if so.

Sometimes masters students are able to find ways to fund their education in the same manner a PhD student can (working as a TA or RA). But I'd imagine that if you head into a MS in bio without a science foundation you're not going to get whatever funds the program may have available.