How competative are Post-Docs?

Whisky-with-a-Y

I, at least at this time, have no desire to try and complete a post doc. I have no desire to teach. I know that most students who plan on teaching are basically "required" to. I was curious how competative it is to get one. I asked my advisor and he said it was the best time he has had in his career, just pure research without any stress from school. I have seen positions open in the government, I imagine there arent many at a typical university due to funding. Is it a "who do ya know" thing?

Students who are planning on teaching don't necessarily need a post-doc. 

Students who are planning to become competitive research faculty, do. People who want to lead R&D groups in industry do as well. 

The better the research institution, the more post-docs they are likely to have. That said, post-docs in general aren't so highly competitive, but the good ones are. 

Most academic postdoc positions aren't advertised: PhD students typically apply in a speculative manner, or talk to the advisors they want to work with at conferences, etc. Newish advisors, those at primarily undergrad institutions, less well-known universities or non-academic research institutes are the ones most likely to advertise. 

Competitive is kinda a subjective term. If you have your own fellowship money it won't be as challenging to get a postdoc position. If you did your PhD outside the USA/Europe and don't have any connections to the faculty you contact...then it becomes really tough to get a postdoc.