Fall 2015 Applicants

Just had an interview with CSULA today for the msw program. They said I would hear back within a week if accepted or denied. I don't know how I felt about it.  :unsure: Anyone else just interview with CSULA. How was your experience? Or did they offer you admissions right there and then? Any feedback? :unsure:

Just had an interview with CSULA today for the msw program. They said I would hear back within a week if accepted or denied. I don't know how I felt about it. :unsure: Anyone else just interview with CSULA. How was your experience? Or did they offer you admissions right there and then? Any feedback? :unsure:

Hmm this is the first time I hear of someone getting interviewed for csula.

I got my acceptance to CSUDH on May 11. I applied at the end of January. They gave me a week to respond.

I accepted and I'm about 90% sure I'm going here. I accepted at CSUF as well because of time-constraints, but I'm ready for a change of pace (I grew up down the street).

Congrats to my fellow Toros :)

I got my acceptance to CSUDH on May 11. I applied at the end of January. They gave me a week to respond.

I accepted and I'm about 90% sure I'm going here. I accepted at CSUF as well because of time-constraints, but I'm ready for a change of pace (I grew up down the street).

Congrats to my fellow Toros :)

AWESOME! What concentration did you apply for? 

@saidy I applied for mental health, but I changed to child welfare so I can apply for the CalSWEC stipend. I didn't know they were still accepting applications, but I guess since the acceptances came so late, not too many people applied.

After an excruciating past few weeks I think I have finally decided to decline my first choice, Columbia University. I am so happy and proud to have been accepted into this program but the sychronous online courses coupled with the high tuition and not so high scholarship mean I would not be able to work even part-time and would be forced to take out more loans than I am comfortable. I think I will be much happier at Fordham given the program allows for flexibility and the opportunity to work and earn an income while studying. It's a top clinical program so it is definitely not a consolatory school. I hope by now everyone is already set and ready for the their fall MSW schedules! Best of luck to all! :) 

I am a prospective MSW candidate.  I have a strong undergraduate record (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) but a poor law school GPA (3.006).  What are my chances?

Hi Opal, I don't think your gpa will be a problem because you still meet the minimum requirement. Most schools in So. Cal require that your minimum gpa be at least 2.75ish. Just explain your passion for social work in your personal statement and what made you leave law school. Msw programs really focus on your work and volunteer experience to see if u are really cut out for this field so highlight that in your personal statement as well.I hope this helps :)

I am a prospective MSW candidate. I have a strong undergraduate record (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) but a poor law school GPA (3.006). What are my chances?

I agree. ^^

I think you have a really good chance. My best friend switched from law school to child development and she showcased why she felt she could make a bigger impact with a master's in child development that she could ever in law.

Programs are gunna focus on your undergradate work more than what came after, and still you're law gpa isn't terribly low. You meet the minimum. I think paired well with a meaningful statement if purpose, experience and LORs you should be fine. There are MANY professionals who switch over to social work, that alone speaks volumes.

Will the fact that I had disciplinary issues in law school impact my MSW application?  I want to apply to Penn, Temple, and West Chester.  

I have a lot of experience, legal and otherwise, assisting underserved populations (immigrants, domestic violence/sexual assault survivors, ex-offenders, etc.)

Will the fact that I had disciplinary issues in law school impact my MSW application? I want to apply to Penn, Temple, and West Chester.

I have a lot of experience, legal and otherwise, assisting underserved populations (immigrants, domestic violence/sexual assault survivors, ex-offenders, etc.)

if there is any way that that information is available for the program to see, like if it's in your transcript, then your best bet would be to own up to it, acknowledge it and state how it will be different this time. If not, and it didn't affect your own personal criminal record (I don't know what type of disciplinary actions were taken here, no offense),then there's no need to mention it and raise potential red flags.

Temple asks for an explanation though.  

I was disciplined for acting manic, but the bipolar disorder is now under control thru meds and psychotherapy. 

Temple asks for an explanation though.

I was disciplined for acting manic, but the bipolar disorder is now under control thru meds and psychotherapy.

I PM you. Search around this site for forums speaking specifically about the drawbacks of mentioning mental health issues. I hope they help.

In fall 2013, I was placed on University Probation.  In addition, the aggrieved individuals lodged a University Stay Away Order against me.  In spring 2014 the probation was lifted and the University Stay Away Order was lifted for almost all the individuals.  

In fall 2014, my school charged me with disorderly conduct, failure to comply, community disturbance, and property damage.  The police trespassed me from campus.  In addition, while the investigation was ongoing I was placed on Interim Suspension.  Subsequently, after a mandated evaluation by University Counseling Services I was given the option of withdrawing voluntarily for medical reasons.  I am eligible to reapply to law school for the fall 2015 semester under the condition that I undergo mental health treatment in the intervening period. .  

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  My treatment providers have linked my prior disruptive behaviors to manic episodes that were untreated.  Now I am under the care of two psychiatrists (an outsider and my mom), a psychotherapist, and a support group. 

What are my chances?  Undergrad GPA is 3.82 (magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa).  Law GPA is a 3.006.  I have a longstanding commitment to public service through employment, internships, and volunteer work. Lots of work with immigrants and survivors of trauma.  AmeriCorps alum.  Want to apply to Penn, Temple, and West Chester.