Fall 2015 Applicants

I am getting a little down on my self and actually its quiet depressing. I didnt do so hot in Undergad 2.67. I currently ive in Virginia but was looking to attend CSULB and or Long Island University Brooklyn Campus for my MSW. I currently work in social services in Virginai so im hoping that gives me alittle advantage.  CSULB is my top school because i meet the 2.5 GPA requirment but after reading blogs on here, i noticed its a bit more competitive then i expect. Any thoughts concerns or word of encoragement.... do i at least have a shot with my crappy GPA.

I am getting a little down on my self and actually its quiet depressing. I didnt do so hot in Undergad 2.67. I currently ive in Virginia but was looking to attend CSULB and or Long Island University Brooklyn Campus for my MSW. I currently work in social services in Virginai so im hoping that gives me alittle advantage.  CSULB is my top school because i meet the 2.5 GPA requirment but after reading blogs on here, i noticed its a bit more competitive then i expect. Any thoughts concerns or word of encoragement.... do i at least have a shot with my crappy GPA.

How long have you been working? I'd argue that experience working in the field is always a big plus. When are you planning on applying? 

GPA is just one factor - some schools place different weights on it. I feel like if you can demonstrate how you've grown as a professional while working (and be able to get outstanding LORs from supervisors/etc.), have great essays/personal statement, and maybe take the GREs to bolster your academic record….nothing is impossible and at the end of the day, you're not going to know if you don't at least try. Is there a reason why undergrad didn't go well? It's something you can mention in your essays but you definitely don't want to dwell on it….

In last month's CSULB information meeting, they said their MSW program is very competitive and in recent years, they received approximately 1100 - 1200 applications, and if I heard correctly, they said they admit around 230 or 250.  So unfortunately, it seems they may not have room for hundreds of qualified applicants.

As mentioned previously, some schools look at additional factors (work & volunteer experiences, LORs, SOP, GRE, etc...), so don't give up.

If you're open to suggestions...maybe consider taking classes at a community college in Virginia that offers online classes.  Some schools look at your last 60/90 units, and you can raise your GPA that way.  Assuming Virginia is your current state of residence, tuition should be reasonable for in-state residents.  Online classes are convenient because you can still continue your work schedule.  Maybe take a psychology, sociology, or other GE class that is relevant to social work.

And as much as you're set on the two schools mentioned, maybe consider if you can achieve your goals & dreams and be happy if you attended another MSW program.  So in addition to CSULB and Long Island, maybe also apply to other schools to give yourself some options.

In addition to out-of-state schools, what about programs in Virginia?  I don't know if out-of-state tuition is an issue for you..but regardless, whichever school you ultimately decide on, it seems like you're motivated, determined, driven---so please don't feel discouraged or disappointed.  Stay strong and believe in yourself.  You can do it and you will do it.

p.s.  If you are opent to acredited MSW programs in Virginia or elsewhere, this may help you search for schools by state - http://www.cswe.org/default.aspx?id=17491

Wow, that's a lot longer than I expected. Especially when most decisions start rolling out between Feb/April. I'm pretty positive I'd turn it down if accepted, but still, it'd be nice to know something sooner rather than later. 

I'm getting a huge knot in my stomach reading all the acceptance posts for DU. My application was submitted on Dec 9th and I haven't heard a peep! A friend of mine who submitted hers a few days later than mine got accepted over the weekend and now I'm freaking out. A lot of the posts I'm reading here submitted applications later than mine. Any advice? Should I call them? My application status says: "Complete/Ready for review" and Decision says "Not available" and there are no "accept" or "decline" buttons.

Thanks! 

Hey, congrats!

Mind sharing some stats? When did you turn in your application? How did they notify you? Again, congrats! :)

Hey, Thanks!

Sure, here are some of my stats and such.

Applied only to two schools because I need to stay local: CSUDH & CSULB.

I sent in my application on or about November 24, 2014 and was notified via email on January 29, 2015 that I was accepted into the 3-year program (my first choice).

Stats:

Degree: Africana Studies, BA from CSUDH

GPA: 3.77, magna cum laude

Awards ( I put this on my application):

Youth Community Organizer of the year

Claudia Hampton Endowed Scholarship recipient,

National Society of Collegiate Scholars,

Phi Kappa Phi,

Dean's List (5x),

CSUDH Presidential Award for Personal Perseverance,

Outstanding Scholar for honors in Africana Studies,

Academic Excellence, and

Horace Mann & Zora Neal Hurston Award for Outstanding Scholar in Africana Studies

Work/Volunteer/Community Service (included in application):

Community Organizer for Labor/Community Strategy Center (2008-2010)

Campus Intern for Center for Service Learning, Internship, and Civic Engagement ( 7 months)

After school club facilitator (2009-2010)

National Society of Collegiate Scholars VP of Public Relations and President

Suicide Crisis Line Counselor (2014-present)

Job:

In home supportive service provider (2010-present)

Any questions, just ask :) 

I'm getting a huge knot in my stomach reading all the acceptance posts for DU. My application was submitted on Dec 9th and I haven't heard a peep! A friend of mine who submitted hers a few days later than mine got accepted over the weekend and now I'm freaking out. A lot of the posts I'm reading here submitted applications later than mine. Any advice? Should I call them? My application status says: "Complete/Ready for review" and Decision says "Not available" and there are no "accept" or "decline" buttons.

Thanks!

The "complete/ready for review" disappeared once they made a decision. You should call and ask. I did and at the moment a decision wasn't made but they told me how long it would take. Good luck and hope to see you at DU!

The "complete/ready for review" disappeared once they made a decision. You should call and ask. I did and at the moment a decision wasn't made but they told me how long it would take. Good luck and hope to see you at DU!

I called DU this morning and they told me I should be hearing from them sometime this week. I'll let you know. Fingers crossed!

Hey guys! This forum is great. It's so nice to know there are others in the same boat as me!

I recently found out I have been accepted to Tulane, NYU, and Boston College. I'm wait-listed for University of Chicago and am still waiting to hear back from UW, Columbia, UIC, and UCLA. I'm dying to hear back from UW! I applied for early admission but still haven't received an update.

How are you guys dealing with the various deadlines for accept/reject responses? BC wants me to respond three weeks from my acceptance letter and I'm still waiting to hear back from the other schools. How appropriate is it to ask for an extension (especially given that I haven't received any financial aid packages yet to make the decision)?

Thanks!!

Hey guys! This forum is great. It's so nice to know there are others in the same boat as me!

I recently found out I have been accepted to Tulane, NYU, and Boston College. I'm wait-listed for University of Chicago and am still waiting to hear back from UW, Columbia, UIC, and UCLA. I'm dying to hear back from UW! I applied for early admission but still haven't received an update.

How are you guys dealing with the various deadlines for accept/reject responses? BC wants me to respond three weeks from my acceptance letter and I'm still waiting to hear back from the other schools. How appropriate is it to ask for an extension (especially given that I haven't received any financial aid packages yet to make the decision)?

Thanks!!

I asked NYU for more time because they said it would take 4-6 weeks to process my app, and then they accepted me 10 days after I applied- they wanted me to make a decision within 4 weeks of that date, but because they hadn't followed their own timeline, I wouldn't have time to hear back from other schools. They responded in a day, automatically added another 4 weeks to my decision-making window, and said to let them know if I want even more time. 

During my interview with UPenn, I asked how long they give you to decide (anticipating more schedule conflicts). My interviewer said there is actually a legal code that all schools MUST give you until April 15 to decide so it is fair across the board - they might not be upfront about this, but she recommended I ask for more time from any school that does not automatically abide by this. Which is super helpful to know. I think you should ask, just send a nice and professional email.

Did anyone apply to the DU Dual Degree in Social Work and International Studies? If so, did you hear back from each school around the same time?

Hey there!

I applied to both and was accepted to the MSW program January 9. I was told we would hear about the international studies program in February by te director of admissions so within the month!!

Hey there!

I applied to both and was accepted to the MSW program January 9. I was told we would hear about the international studies program in February by te director of admissions so within the month!!

Yay! Congrats! I still haven't heard back regarding the MSW program, but I only completed my app on Jan 10th. I am so eager to hear back from the Josef Korbel school.

Thanks!!

You've already heard back from Boston College? When did you apply?

WOW!!! congrats to all the got in. I am a little bummed considering I starting applying to schools in October, and no hear back as all. Not too bummed because there is a possibility I will choose travel over school, but I wish I knew my status.