Devastated by GRE Scores--HELP!

greenlover45

Hi all,

I'm going to go straight into my questions. Are my scores (V: 152, Q: 154) OK to apply for MA Psychology programs of top 1 to 30 schools (not all of them)? In other words, will I stand a chance? 

I put so much effort studying for GRE the past month; I spent about 10 hours a day 6 days per week, studying vocabs, math, and verbal. Whenever I took the practice tests, I scored mediocre on verbal (~157), but pretty good (~166) on math 154. Of course I had expected I'd get a verbal score higher than maybe 152, but CERTAINLY higher than 154 on math. I don't know what happened today, but there it is. That's my score. However, it's hard to accept that I did so much worse than I had expected. When my scores popped up on the screen, the person next to me stood up and probably saw my scores. I was so embarrassed, so I kind of leaned into the screen to cover the scores up...LOL. I WAS THAT EMBARRASSED.

So....I know they aren't that great.. I might retake the test too.. but I really don't want to. At this point, I hate the GRE. 

Please give you guys' opinions. Should I retake? Is it OK to send that score to the schools? Will I get accepted to any program? I want to hear some inputs.

THANKS!! :) :) :) :) 

I put so much effort studying for GRE the past month; I spent about 10 hours a day 6 days per week, studying vocabs, math, and verbal. Whenever I took the practice tests, I scored mediocre on verbal (~157), but pretty good (~166) on math 154. 

Typo on the last part. Please disregard that number at the end of the sentence. My mom's computer's keyboard needs to retire.

One of my professors as an undergrad gave me a piece of advice a long time ago that has always stuck with me.  

Q: What do they call someone who finishes a PhD at the lowest ranked state school in the country?  

A: Doctor.  

It is not too late to retake the GRE if you really want to be in a top program, but there are many outstanding programs that aren't in the top 30.  I'm in another field, but the program I chose is not in the top 30 but it has a very strong reputation in the field and well-respected faculty.  Plus, because my program is underrated the faculty is able to mentor students a lot more than more prestigious programs (last year we actually ended up with more funding available than we had students accept admission offers).  There are a lot of programs like mine which may have lower rankings nationally but which have excellent placement rates for their graduates.

Good luck!

Retake the test. People get nervous or have bad days all the time. What you experienced is normal. Those scores are below the cutoffs to a lot of programs though so it would be well worth your time to retake.