Do I really need to upload a writing sample?

greenlover45

Hi guys, 

OK, so I'm applying to several schools of their MA Psychology. Last time I checked, none of them requires the applicants submit their writing samples. However, if I want to increase my chances, do I need to upload one? Thing is, I'm not really confident with my research papers I have done. Honestly, too, I don't know a writing sample will be a deciding factor, if I do submit one. I don't know. What do you guys think? Should I revise and submit one or not?

Much appreciated!

If the specific programs that you are applying to do not ask for writing samples, then they probably do not use one in their decision process, and including one my only serve to confuse them.

Is it an online application? Is there even a place to upload the sample on the form?

If the program doesn't ask for it why send it? I think that's one of those things where you're more likely to harm yourself than help yourself.

In addition to what fuzzy said, if you do have a strong writing sample, you should still check with the school to make sure they want you to submit it as an "optional" document. 

For almost all of my applications, my department's application instructions clearly state that we should not include a writing sample at all (they are not commonly requested in my field). However, in almost all applications, there was a page to optionally upload a writing sample. When I check with the schools, they were clear that we were to skip that page and leave it blank because that the schools use a common online application form so the "optional writing sample" page is always included. I think in these cases, at best, they ignore your extra document and at worst, it makes your application look bad because you did not follow instructions (I don't know how badly this may reflect on you though; could be very minor). 

There are no "trick questions" on these applications. If they do not ask for something, it is not a "trick" to see if applicants will supply it anyways! So if you are worried about seeing that writing sample screen, it might be similar to my situation where the optional pages always appear no matter what you are actually applying to.