Too old to re apply

JM

So I got rejected from two schools already. I am waiting for the last one which will probably be a rejection as well. I could reapply but the thing is I am turning 26 and I will be applying for grad schools again when I am 27. So I feel terribly depressed that I have lost all chances of following my dream path.

Guest guest

you're not too old! if it really is your dream, go for it next year! at 27, you should still have a good 50 year left to live. why not live it at least trying to reach your dream?

Guest Squirrely

Hey JM! Don't get down--as an older candidate you should have some unique experiences that someone fresh into the real world can't compete with. Maybe you can play those up in your application. Although, you didn't mention what you did with those extra years---I suppose if you were sitting in your parents' basement getting high while watching Power Ranger reruns, well, that's not going to look so good.

I am 26 and applied for the first time this year. I did feel old when I went on some interviews and I was older than most of the current 2nd and 3rd year grad students, but I absolutely never felt that anyone was looking at my age as a disatvantage in accepting me. If anything, I don't think I would have had such a positive response from so many schools if I hadn't had those other "life' experiences for 4 or 5 years outside of academia.

What discipline are you applying to? I know people who have applied and ben accepted to programs when they were in their mid 30's.

Guest Guest

You are never too old to reapply or go to school. Learning is a lifelong achievement. Im 40 and going for a Masters degree which Im waitlisted for now. If I dont get in this year, I will reapply next year:D...but to more schools!

Guest guest

I am finishing my masters right now, and I turned 32 in February. I was accepted into a top 30 PHD program, and will start in the fall. Not once have I considered quitting because I am too old. Remember, you are going to turn 32 no matter what happens. Would it be better to turn 32 with a PHD in hand, or to turn 32 and wonder what if.....?

Guest hydsnare

agree with the other posters... i'm 36 and starting my phd prgm ... dont feel old - wont ever! and i'm finally doing what i have always wanted to do - feels great...

yep, me too ... I'm 28 and will start my PhD in the fall (turning 29 soon after starting). I applied last year too and was rejected by all the school, but learned a lot by the experience and did much better the second time around. Don't get discxouraged, if grad school is what you want go for it!

BTW, next time do apply to many more schools, 3 is really not enough!

Guest daphna

You're feeling too old at 27?

Let me tell you something. Where I come from, most people don't start undergraduate studies until they are about 24 or 25. Many start later. The normal age for finishing a PhD is about 35.

I don't think there is an age that is "too old for grad studies", but even if there was, 27 would not be it.

Good luck trying next year!

Guest guest

I'm 33 and was just accepted at four grad schools with full funding. During some of the visitation weekends I did think about my age compared to the students I would be entering with and to the Professors (my advisor is my age), but I try to remember that everyone has doubts about something when they're starting something new -- if it wasn't age it would be something else. Besides, college is one of the only places where you are almost exclusively grouped with people your own age. In the various jobs I've had since college, I've worked with and befriended people from ages 18 to 60+, so don't get too caught up in thinking that you always have to stay in step with people that were born within the same four year window.

Guest kn0519

you're not too old! please don't let age get in the way of your goals. i'm 26 but will be 27 in a couple of weeks and i'll be attending school for my Master's this fall. i sometimes feel like i was kinda late with college (just finished my Bachelor's last year) but i have to remember that no matter what path we've chosen, there's a reason for everything and i do believe that we're probably more focused students b/c we're much older and experienced more. we also can truly appreciate value of an education. don't worry, we're gonna give those young bucks a run for their money!!! go JM!

I think there is fear on both sides. The younger think they are too young and the older too old. I was a little intimidated to hear that I was one of two who was coming straight from college. I think it's pretty common to take a couple years (or more) to explore other interests and make sure it's right for you. For me, I think (every once in a while) that I may not be prepared because I haven't taken time away to make sure that grad school is right for me. I think you guys may be better prepared.

Guest bruno

the only thing for sure is that in 5 years, you are going to be 5 years older;

the question becomes whether you want to be 5 years older w/ a Ph.D., or

5 years older with experience doing something else

Guest Ms. Geology

I am an older student too, and have expressed concern to both former profs and potential ones. Oddly enough, most of them took time off and did not begin graduate work until they were in their 30s. These are some very well known and well respected people in their field. Experience is advantage.

Guest hydsnare

just to add another dimension to this discussion... several people have told me that there is an unstated bias against "older" doctoral students at many schools... the theory being that you cant do truly inspirational and original work after yr 30s... and yes i know there are several people who are exemplary cases how this does not hold true... my point is how much do ad com's buy into this...now to someone who is already is his late 30s that seems like hogwash - but there seems to be some studies including a recent (apr 21 i think) wall street journal article talks about cognitive decline that starts in your 30s... i however am going to risk being the oldie in my cohort... :lol:

Hey people! Wow thanks for the replies! Very encouraging. :)

Someone asked me what program I am applying for- Public Policy

What have I been doing the past three years- Working for the Government but not in a very high profile job but thats how I got interested in Public Policy. I actually want to study it rather than be a spectator. I know people think I am a freak but I love politics esp Canadian.

And yes I should have applied to more graduate schools. Ah well hopefully next year.

And I really dont care about other people thinking I am too old. ITs just that my peers are all having babies and geting rings and all other stuff that doesnt really interest me.

Guest RandomGuy

The average age that somebody completes their PhD is 35 years old

Most people start graduate studies at about 25 after working/partying/travelling for a few years

Many start in their MID THIRTIES

omfg stop bitching wtf ;P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HolkNi

try again

you are NOT too old.. definitely!

i have many friends who worked at the government for some years and they applied for MS/Phd program and.. got in!

pack your bags for 2007.. you´re going in

• 10 months later...

I'll flip the problem around on your... grad school will always be there! What might not always be there is your youth ;)

If possible, do work that will be of interest to your target school when you apply next year. Nothing will impress them more if you do work on your own that shows them what an asset to the school you would be.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use