Word-limit for SOP's

I'm so frustrated!

Ok, each school has different word limit. Some schools require no more than 1500 words, while other one has 2500. Do you guys write SOP's close to the word-limit? or well below? I feel like since there is a word-limit, for the 2500 one, I should maybe extend my 1500 one to write more close to 2500 words. I'm kinda stuck. LOL.

What should I do? 

Edited by greenlover45

Why don't you write the 2500 one, and then edit to the smaller ones?  If it is most schools asking for no more than 1500 and one or two schools asking for 2500 then I'd write a 1500 one and edit for the minority of the longer ones.  Also there is a difference between maximum and minimum.  So in theory a good 1500 should still be fine for a max 2500.  If you want you can always add or extrapolate a bit more on the 1500 if you want to make it closer to 2000.  I wouldn't look at is as a "write to the max" rather as a write what you need to and fall within the parameters.  Most SOPs should be in the 1.5-2 page max range (imo).  

Being succinct is a good skill to learn.  While you want to tailor each SOP specifically to the programs you apply to, I would err on the side of cutting words rather than expanding beyond your main points.  

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to write my SOP based on the school with the lowest word count, which is 800 (crazy huh?). Obviously this will be the hardest to format since I have alot of say but not alot of room to do so. I figure once I am pleased with this SOP, I can tailor and add more information for schools that have 1,500 word count cause by the time Im done with the 800 word count SOP, I've already included all the important aspects and now I can add embellishments and added perks into my 1,500 word count SOP.