First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Going alright so far.  Classes are fine, but I'm having some anxiety over a grant proposal I'm trying to put together.  Other than that, I'm doing really well!

It's going well. My workload seems very manageable and I'm working on a few funding proposals for research projects.

Being a program where I have my advisor picked out from the beginning is really nice. We've already been working together this summer and determining what direction my research should go.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

My only major anxiety right now is rotations and picking a lab. A lot of my cohort has the same interest so it's hard... And I'm already sure my first rotation isn't a good fit.

We haven't started yet. We have a meet and greet on Monday evening, orientation all day Tuesday, and class starts on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to get my notebooks and everything situated tonight.

On a different note, I spent the night in the hospital two nights ago with symptoms of a heart attack/congestive heart failure. Turns out my heart is fine but I have Thyroid Disease. Needless to say, I feel like crap, still. I couldn't get an appointment with a GP til next Thursday, so I won't have meds until at least Thursday night. I'm hoping I feel a little better by next week so I don't have to start school on a bad foot.

On a different note, I spent the night in the hospital two nights ago with symptoms of a heart attack/congestive heart failure. Turns out my heart is fine but I have Thyroid Disease. Needless to say, I feel like crap, still. I couldn't get an appointment with a GP til next Thursday, so I won't have meds until at least Thursday night. I'm hoping I feel a little better by next week so I don't have to start school on a bad foot.

Sorry to hear about that!  Glad it wasn't a heart issue, at least.  Hopefully you can get your new medication soon.

I'm doing pretty well so far. We had our departmental orientation on Monday (cohort of 19) and the all-grad orientation on Tuesday (possibly a thousand people, maybe a bit less? Hard to tell, this place is HUGE), and we start classes today! All I have is a language course Thursday and Friday, so with the long weekend, I don't feel like school is really starting until I have my first seminar next Wednesday. 

I'm super excited about all of the opportunities at this big campus - so different from my tiny liberal arts college, and so much more diverse! The gyms, the health center, the libraries … there's so much to explore ;) In terms of my department specifically, my only worry is that I'm still on the wait list for a seminar that I really want to take, but I'm the first person on it and I'm planning on talking to the professor about it on the first day the class meets. Fingers crossed :)

Sorry to hear about that!

I had a health impasse myself - 1 month away from starting, I fell off my bike and dislocated my elbow. XD

We haven't started yet. We have a meet and greet on Monday evening, orientation all day Tuesday, and class starts on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to get my notebooks and everything situated tonight.

So sorry to hear this, hoping when you get your meds they help and you feel better. Good luck next week with meet and greet, orientation and classes.

Okay so here is my update. This semester I'm taking six hours (2 classes) and both are on Monday nights with the same professor. My program does not have an orientation but the course 501 intro to counseling acts as orientation as well as a preview to the counseling profession. I don't have a cohort so to speak because some people in my class have taken classes out of order. I live about an hour and a half from my university but they have a small commuter campus about 45 minutes from my house which is where I'm taking my classes this semester. So I feel disconnected from the big campus life, I will make it a point to go the campus for department events etc.

I'm staying on top of my reading and trying to narrow down my first paper which is to discuss a facet of counseling. It can be an area that's well researched or not. Which has my head spinning. A little every day means very little when you don't know what you're doing. Lol, otherwise I'm feeling okay trying to do my best to keep my boys on schedule so I have time to study.

I am prepping myself.  Today I reorganized my desk so that I have better access to all of my books, and easy maneuverability when it comes to plugging and unplugging my laptop.  I received my first set of power points today, and I am working on reading some other material to get myself prepared for my first night.

My classes don't start until Tuesday night.  It begins with a pizza picnic, then off to class afterwards to jump in.  :)  Excited / nervous...

On another note, my boss (program director) told me that she's supporting me 100% in what I am doing, and if I need help or references or anything like that to let her know.  It turns out that she was in the very first cohort of the same program I am about to embark on.  :)  So excited.

I am prepping myself.  Today I reorganized my desk so that I have better access to all of my books, and easy maneuverability when it comes to plugging and unplugging my laptop.  I received my first set of power points today, and I am working on reading some other material to get myself prepared for my first night.

My classes don't start until Tuesday night.  It begins with a pizza picnic, then off to class afterwards to jump in.  :)  Excited / nervous...

On another note, my boss (program director) told me that she's supporting me 100% in what I am doing, and if I need help or references or anything like that to let her know.  It turns out that she was in the very first cohort of the same program I am about to embark on.  :)  So excited.

Fantastic NavyMom,  I do understand about getting the desk ready.  It seems that I am always unplugging my laptop from my desk to move it to the dining table to study.  I hate going through the hassle of unplugging it.  

You are going to feel like crap for a while until you get your levels right. First you'll have to get blood drawn, then maybe see an endocrinologist. They'll put you on meds, but it's a constant battle to fine-tune them. Don't be afraid to let them know if your symptoms come back (or if you have symptoms that swing the other way - e.g. hyper when you're hypo). Good luck! It's a sucky thing to be balancing while starting grad school.

Things are going very well for me! My classes are really easy, which means I have plenty of time to work hard to impress the professors I rotate with. I'm only a few days into my first rotation, but it's been great so far! The PI clearly has high expectations for me, but I feel confident that I am up to the challenge. I also already feel that I have established a good enough relationship with the other two professors I would like to rotate with that I will not have any problems getting rotations with them as well.

Perhaps I am only feeling so positive right now because I moved into my apartment five days before the start of the term while we were going through the program's "boot camp." Those five days were soooo long and stressful (for a variety of reasons), and it was such a relief when I was able to get everything set up before the start of the term. Perhaps it's also because I have an example of how bad things could be going. One of the new students in my cohort is still stuck in Iran due to problems with his visa...I would be quite distraught if I were in his shoes.

Of course, I do have some concerns, but they are about future issues that are definitely beyond my control, so I'm trying not to dwell on them too much at this point. I just have hope that things continue to go the way they've been going (and find a way to deal with them if and when they don't).

Just finished my first week. It's going well so far. My professors all seem like great people (they're all trained clinicians in psychology, in addition to their research). The profs definitely seem concerned about the mental state of their students- as in they are very concerned that all the students engage in self-care (to the point of one of them making us create a log for it). So, it seems to be a supportive program in that regard. 

I've got a lot to think about, for sure. I've got some big projects to work on. I'm making new friends within my cohort, so that's great.

I got started on my TA-ship as well. I've been pretty productive with that already. One of the professors I am working with seems like a great fit for me, in terms of personality. 

Definitely good things to report so far. I guess I'll just have to see how things go as the semester continues.

Things are going very well for me! My classes are really easy, which means I have plenty of time to work hard to impress the professors I rotate with. I'm only a few days into my first rotation, but it's been great so far! The PI clearly has high expectations for me, but I feel confident that I am up to the challenge. I also already feel that I have established a good enough relationship with the other two professors I would like to rotate with that I will not have any problems getting rotations with them as well.

Perhaps I am only feeling so positive right now because I moved into my apartment five days before the start of the term while we were going through the program's "boot camp." Those five days were soooo long and stressful (for a variety of reasons), and it was such a relief when I was able to get everything set up before the start of the term. Perhaps it's also because I have an example of how bad things could be going. One of the new students in my cohort is still stuck in Iran due to problems with his visa...I would be quite distraught if I were in his shoes.

Of course, I do have some concerns, but they are about future issues that are definitely beyond my control, so I'm trying not to dwell on them too much at this point. I just have hope that things continue to go the way they've been going (and find a way to deal with them if and when they don't).

Good for you not dwelling on the things that are beyond your control.  I bet you are so relieved that you got yourself set up prior to your program starting.  I'm sure you are more productive because your energy is not divided.  Poor guy stuck in another country, I bet he is worried sick.  

Just finished my first week. It's going well so far. My professors all seem like great people (they're all trained clinicians in psychology, in addition to their research). The profs definitely seem concerned about the mental state of their students- as in they are very concerned that all the students engage in self-care (to the point of one of them making us create a log for it). So, it seems to be a supportive program in that regard. 

I've got a lot to think about, for sure. I've got some big projects to work on. I'm making new friends within my cohort, so that's great.

I got started on my TA-ship as well. I've been pretty productive with that already. One of the professors I am working with seems like a great fit for me, in terms of personality. 

Definitely good things to report so far. I guess I'll just have to see how things go as the semester continues.

The importance your own mental health has been stressed in my program as well.  Way to go with your TA-ship.  

I've spent this week tidying up my study and organizing my desk as well.  Also made a trip into the city where my university is located (I'll be commuting about an hour each way) to get my student transit pass ID, my student transit pass for September, my student train ID and my "Presto" card that is used in conjunction with my student train ID.  I also booked an appointment with the sports medicine clinic on campus so I can hopefully continue with physiotherapy I've been receiving for a couple of injuries.

Class starts Tuesday morning at 9am for our special introductory class that runs the first week, then regular classes start the following week.

Good luck getting your medication levels sorted.  I was pretty lucky when diagnosed with hypothyroidism - it only took a couple of adjustments to get the levels right, but I know other people who have taken considerably longer to get the correct dose of thyroid hormone.  I hope your adjustment is easy, like mine was.  You should also feel better once you start the thyroid hormones - they made a HUGE difference in my energy level, my ability to regulate my temperature (although I'm still more sensitive to extremes than most people), my skin, my digestion, and I stopped losing so much hair all the time.  Best wishes to you.

Started this week. Went pretty well, have a butt-ton of reading for my Presidency class and I am super nervous about my Political Analysis class! 

First week went pretty well -- I get along great with everyone I have met so far and it really appears that my department wants everyone to succeed.

On the TA front -- I'm glad that I get along with my supervising professor and he is also very laid back about everything which is good since I'll be TAing two sections for him this semester, one section for him next semester, and I'm also his RA next semester. Already offered me the chance to coauthor so...yay!

For my classes themselves everything seems...good. I have to turn my first assignment in for one of my seminars tomorrow and I'm EXTREMELY nervous. It's an assignment we have every week so if I mess up on this one I can easily turn things around but I am just always nervous for the first assignment since I'm not sure where the professors expectations are.

But overall I feel at home! Let's just hope I don't fail my classes and get my funding revoked. :unsure:

First week went pretty well -- I get along great with everyone I have met so far and it really appears that my department wants everyone to succeed.

On the TA front -- I'm glad that I get along with my supervising professor and he is also very laid back about everything which is good since I'll be TAing two sections for him this semester, one section for him next semester, and I'm also his RA next semester. Already offered me the chance to coauthor so...yay!

For my classes themselves everything seems...good. I have to turn my first assignment in for one of my seminars tomorrow and I'm EXTREMELY nervous. It's an assignment we have every week so if I mess up on this one I can easily turn things around but I am just always nervous for the first assignment since I'm not sure where the professors expectations are.

But overall I feel at home! Let's just hope I don't fail my classes and get my funding revoked. :unsure:

Good to hear that your first week went well.  I do understand about first assignment jitters.  

So I technically don't start until tomorrow, but we were sent an email about an online module we would complete ahead of time if we chose to do so - basically just an introduction to public health in Canada put out by the Public Health Agency of Canada.  I just completed it - figured I might as well get it done before I have other work to do (it's actually due in two or three weeks).

At least this little online module was easy - although I did work for PHAC at one point, so a lot of the information was common knowledge from having worked there.  I don't anticipate the rest of my grad work being this easy!