Importance of being in the field (sociocultural)

NOWAYNOHOW

I am worried about not having field experience before applying, especially since I am coming from outside the discipline. I have an MA, teaching experience, coursework and some minor publications, but am having a lot of trouble (due to my work schedule and the difficulty of getting access to an already secretive and regulated sector) actually getting into the field. 

Last year I struck out (for multiple reasons!) and a lot of helpful people from this board let me see their SOPs after the fact.  The most common thing I found among these applicants, outside of being strong students with defined goals, was that they highlighted experience in the field they'd already done, successfully showing committees that they were able to accomplish the doctoral work they were proposing. 

What are your thoughts on this? Is someone coming from another discipline just going to have to be able to prove they can work in the field before beginning the PhD? Do you have field experience already? Are you trying to get it now?

I wouldn't worry to much about not having field experience I dont think that is particularly unusual.  Nor do I think being from outside the discipline is a big deal.  I have a BA in Anthro and I didn't receive any esoteric preparations for fieldwork--no charms, no incantations, nothing.  I cant even remember if I took a methods course.  I don't have a traditional fieldwork experience in exotic locals.  However, I've done a significant amount of social movement research and work in community radio which amounts to a buttload of interviewing experience.  I also work in the field I want to study--livestock agriculture in the US.   Some fieldwork experience is better than none.  Do you have other experiences and skills that you could tie into your proposed fieldwork?  A language?  Recording and editing experience?

NOWAYNOHOW, I don't think field experience is necessary for entrance into a PhD program, even for people coming from another discipline. I can't speak directly about the programs in which you are interested. However there are several members of my cohort who came from other disciplines. None of them came in with any field experience. I would concentrate on connecting your past interests and experiences with your plans for the future and discuss how your previous training has prepared you for research in anthropology.

Edited by sweetpearl16

However, I've done a significant amount of social movement research and work in community radio which amounts to a buttload of interviewing experience.  I also work in the field I want to study--livestock agriculture in the US.   Some fieldwork experience is better than none. 

I'd count that as field work -- I don't think it has to be methodologically sanctioned to count.  It just means hands-on work with your population of choice. I don't have that IRL (not counting media ethnography/digital ethnographic etc), but am still trying!

I would concentrate on connecting your past interests and experiences with your plans for the future and discuss how your previous training has prepared you for research in anthropology.

That is my plan, but I get nervous about proving "access," which is crucial to my proposed study.  Thanks!!

I'd count that as field work -- I don't think it has to be methodologically sanctioned to count.  It just means hands-on work with your population of choice. I don't have that IRL (not counting media ethnography/digital ethnographic etc), but am still trying!

That is my plan, but I get nervous about proving "access," which is crucial to my proposed study.  Thanks!!

Proving access?

Proving access?

Like, hypothetically, say you are proposing a study of doctors that also love banana splits that live in a certain part of Baltimore.  If you don't already work with doctors, or banana split producers, or at least in Baltimore, part of your SOP, as I understand it, needs to show that you have the ability to actually procure access to this community.  Obviously, sometimes it is a question of language (if these were Mexican doctors who love banana splits, you'd need to speak Spanish) or of expertise (if it is nuclear engineers who love banana splits, you need to understand a little nuclear engineering). In my case, I want to work in a very small regulated sector and despite having a lot of knowledge and critical understanding, I've had trouble so far gaining physical access (digital is a different story) to the people I want to study. I haven't worked with/around them, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

Like, hypothetically, say you are proposing a study of doctors that also love banana splits that live in a certain part of Baltimore.  If you don't already work with doctors, or banana split producers, or at least in Baltimore, part of your SOP, as I understand it, needs to show that you have the ability to actually procure access to this community.  Obviously, sometimes it is a question of language (if these were Mexican doctors who love banana splits, you'd need to speak Spanish) or of expertise (if it is nuclear engineers who love banana splits, you need to understand a little nuclear engineering). In my case, I want to work in a very small regulated sector and despite having a lot of knowledge and critical understanding, I've had trouble so far gaining physical access (digital is a different story) to the people I want to study. I haven't worked with/around them, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

I've been noticing we all speak (write) in very vague terms about our research proposals.  I am guilty of this myself.  Are we all paranoid some one is going to steal our ideas? Are we also still struggling with translating intuitions and impulses into concrete coherent thoughts?  I'm just curious. 

I've been noticing we all speak (write) in very vague terms about our research proposals.  I am guilty of this myself.  Are we all paranoid some one is going to steal our ideas? Are we also still struggling with translating intuitions and impulses into concrete coherent thoughts?  I'm just curious. 

I'm trying to stay anonymous, given that letting on too much about my topic would make it very easy for someone to identify me with a quick google search.