Selecting between admissions

alisaket

Hi guys

I am a M.Sc graduate in electrical engineering and I applied to PhD program for spring semester. I have got 4 admission with funding and I will be very grateful if you guide me for selecting the best admission.

University of British Columbia (UBC)-stipend 1300$

Kansas state university-RA+fellowship (stipend 2000$+TW)

Florida international university-stipend 1600$

University of Akron- stipend 1700$

UBC is very well-known in comparison to my other admissions. However Considering the fact that my ultimate goal is finding a job in USA, I wonder if it is a right decision to study at UBC which is in Canada.

Thank you in advance. Any comment is appreciated.

Just wondering - why the USA? Canada is arguably a better place to live, especially for immigrants. I did my undergrad there (I am American) and loved it. You can't beat living in Vancouver or UBC's reputation. None of your other universities even come close and your quality of life would be much better in Vancouver. It was rated the happiest city in the world a few years ago.

I definitely vote UBC. Also, all the other places you mentioned are not in big cities, if that matters to you. But the money is (obviously) better. You just have to weigh your priorities, I guess.

Disclaimer: My undergrad is at UBC! So I'm a little biased maybe :P

UBC is a well regarded institution. It may not be able to compete with top 10 schools in the US like Harvard, Yale, etc. but I'd say it would be equivalent to schools ranked around 20th in the US. In the world rankings (e.g. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking), the top 3 Canadian schools (UBC, Toronto, McGill) consistently end up in the 20s. When I applied to US PhD programs, UBC was a name recognized by profs/students I visited/talked to.

In addition, (again, potential bias), I think worldwide, UBC ranks higher than the other 3 schools on your list and much better known, as you say so yourself! I don't think you will gain any real advantage because your PhD is from one of the other three schools instead of UBC. In fact, I think you will have a higher chance at a US job if you go to UBC (the better known school).

iphi also does bring up a lot of good points about quality of life--I love Vancouver and it's a wonderful and multicultural city. Your profile says you are from Iran. If it's important to you, I'd say there is an Iranian community in Vancouver and that it would probably be bigger than the other 3 places you list. 

However, there are 2 potential downsides:

1. The stipend you list $1300/month(?) is pretty low. I think it can still be affordable but you will definitely be sharing with others since Vancouver does have a high rent market. I also hope this is the number after you have already subtracted your tuition cost (much lower than US schools but still something to consider).

2. As I said above, you can still network and talk to American colleagues as it's not that far to travel to the US for conferences. Also, how easy/difficult is it for you to get an entry visa (for business) to the US? While in Canada, I have had some international student friends who had to occasionally cancel a trip to the US because of US visa processing delays or rejections. So, if you are expecting to have a very hard time getting an entry visa to the US, then there is a slight advantage to going to a US school since you don't have to leave the country to go to a US conference! However, it's really up to you whether you think this is worth the other benefits of significantly friendlier immigration laws in Canada!

Right, if your goal is to immigrate to North America and would be happy in Canada as well as the US, it would be a lot easier to immigrate to Canada if you have a PhD from a Canadian school.  Just to play out possible scenarios if you did go this route....

After 2 years into your PhD program in Canada, you are eligible to apply for Permanent Resident status (and eventually citizenship) as long as you meet enough things on their criteria list. However, in the US, you can never accumulate time as a PhD student towards Permanent Resident status and you basically need to get a PhD and then get a job from an employer that will sponsor you for an immigration class visa. 

Just wondering - why the USA? Canada is arguably a better place to live, especially for immigrants. I did my undergrad there (I am American) and loved it. You can't beat living in Vancouver or UBC's reputation. None of your other universities even come close and your quality of life would be much better in Vancouver. It was rated the happiest city in the world a few years ago.

Why especially for immigrants? They are both immigrant nations. I see no reason to believe that Canada is any better than the USA for immigrants. 

I think you are being a little "hurrah" about Vancouver. I don't particularly like Vancouver but that's not why I am responding to this post.

It's pretty hard to have a good quality of life on a 13,000 gross stipend in Vancouver. I mean, living anywhere even somewhat close to UBC is going to run you around $800 with roommates on rent alone. With other living expenses, you are looking at barely making ends meet with that stipend so in terms of actually "enjoying" Vancouver there wouldn't really be much to offer. 

And in terms of hitting the American market with a Ph.D. from a Canadian school, your chances are pretty slim. So if you are dead set on trying to get an academic position in the US with a Ph.D. from Canada, it's probably not the wisest decision to go that route. But I do agree that as far as reputation goes, UBC is perhaps the best out of the list but that doesn't erase the deficit from trying to hit the US market with a Ph.D. from outside it.

Edited by victorydance

Why especially for immigrants? They are both immigrant nations. I see no reason to believe that Canada is any better than the USA for immigrants. 

I think you are being a little "hurrah" about Vancouver. I don't particularly like Vancouver but that's not why I am responding to this post.

It's pretty hard to have a good quality of life on a 13,000 gross stipend in Vancouver. I mean, living anywhere even somewhat close to UBC is going to run you around $800 with roommates on rent alone. With other living expenses, you are looking at barely making ends meet with that stipend so in terms of actually "enjoying" Vancouver there wouldn't really be much to offer. 

And in terms of hitting the American market with a Ph.D. from a Canadian school, your chances are pretty slim. So if you are dead set on trying to get an academic position in the US with a Ph.D. from Canada, it's probably not the wisest decision to go that route. But I do agree that as far as reputation goes, UBC is perhaps the best out of the list but that doesn't erase the deficit from trying to hit the US market with a Ph.D. from outside it.

Well I personally attended UBC and disliked it a LOT. So my being "hurrah" about it is despite all of that. That being said, I think UBC treats their graduate students pretty well. Definitely a lot better than they treat their undergrads. As for the stipend as long as one is willing to get a roommate you can definitely get rent in the $600 range. I got a place one bus stop away from campus for under $500 and only had one roommate.

As a child of immigrants to the U.S. and one who studies immigration as her research topic, I would (GENERALLY) say that the quality of life/treatment of immigrants in Canada is better, and that I personally would move there were I to have the choice between the two countries. Just IMHO of course. You are absolutely right that if OP is dead set on working in the U.S. and only the U.S. s/he would be better off living there now. I guess that as someone who has lived in 2 of the places s/he mentioned, I know for sure which one I would pick.

Dear friends

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate the time that you dedicated for guiding me.

1- Regarding choosing between USA and Canada from my point of view,  Although it may be incorrect, I think USA has much more job opportunities with higher payments and possible promotions (because USA has much more industries).

2-Regarding USA and Canada visa comparison, The US visa has a disadvantages. Unfortunately USA only issue single Entry visa for Iranian students and so I cannot see my family during my PhD and even before getting green card.

3-Regarding UBC stipend, 1300 $ is a net stipend after deducting tuition. However I have spouse and my great concern is that we cannot afford expenses in Vancouver. I have calculated that we need about extra 700-800$ each month for a usual life style. I am thinking about finding a causal job for her during my study but I do not now how much it is applicable. Friends that live in Vancouver, Is it easy to find a causal job in Vancouver for an international person?

The city of Vancouver is a great place to live, however I afraid that I experience financial hardships that affect my PhD study. Victorydance told that my chance for finding a job in US is lower with UBC degree (because it is outside of US). If it is true, why I should not select one of US schools and have easier life in there?

Thank you very much

Dear friends

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate the time that you dedicated for guiding me.

1- Regarding choosing between USA and Canada from my point of view,  Although it may be incorrect, I think USA has much more job opportunities with higher payments and possible promotions (because USA has much more industries).

2-Regarding USA and Canada visa comparison, The US visa has a disadvantages. Unfortunately USA only issue single Entry visa for Iranian students and so I cannot see my family during my PhD and even before getting green card.

3-Regarding UBC stipend, 1300 $ is a net stipend after deducting tuition. However I have spouse and my great concern is that we cannot afford expenses in Vancouver. I have calculated that we need about extra 700-800$ each month for a usual life style. I am thinking about finding a causal job for her during my study but I do not now how much it is applicable. Friends that live in Vancouver, Is it easy to find a causal job in Vancouver for an international person?

The city of Vancouver is a great place to live, however I afraid that I experience financial hardships that affect my PhD study. Victorydance told that my chance for finding a job in US is lower with UBC degree (because it is outside of US). If it is true, why I should not select one of US schools and have easier life in there?

Thank you very much

I think the idea of UBC is that its reputation is so much higher than the US schools that it would negate the disvantages you would face going to a Canadian school: I personally have only heard of UBC in that list and I have lived in the united states my entire life, including the west, mid-west, and east coast!

I don't think there will be a problem with getting a job in the US with a Canadian degree. We generally trust our neighbors. That being said, I don't know that there's enough of a prestige difference (and engineer may correct me) between those universities for it to be a deciding factor. Also, with U of Akron, just something to consider is that the university is fine, but there are some bad neighborhoods near campus, at least according to people I've know who have live in that city. I can say that, personally, I'd be tempted with the offer from Kansas, although I can't say that I'd want to be an Iranian living in Kansas.

Dear friends

Thank you very much

I agree with #1. 

I want to expand on #2. You can get a single entry visa more than one time. It just means that it's only valid for one entry at a time. If you visit family, that means you cannot go back to the US until you get another visa (which can take a while). Similarly, if you go out of the US for a conference, you need to make sure you get another entry visa before you return. To me, this is another reason that the US is tougher on immigrants.

Finally, on #3, your spouse can only work in the US if you are on a J-1 visa. This can be problematic since J-1 holders may be subject to a 2 year home residency requirement (i.e. you have to live in Iran for 2 years before you can immigrate to the US). However, Canada has much more lenient immigration rules because we want skilled workers to live in Canada. My international student friends' spouses can just show up in Canada and apply for a work permit without any strings attached. In addition, after 2 years of your PhD in Canada, you can apply for permanent residence status (i.e. "green card") and you can then do the same for your spouse. So, you may be able to supplement your low UBC stipend with income from a job that your spouse takes. 

Currently, minimum wage in BC is $10.25/hour so if your spouse finds a full time minimum wage job, she can make $1600 per year. In addition, while you do have to pay taxes on the US school stipends, graduate student stipends are completely tax free in Canada. It also does not count as taxable income. So, if your spouse does get work, she may be able to claim you as a tax dependent and not have to pay taxes on the first $18,000 or so of income (this is what happens with my wife and I when I was a grad student in Canada).

I don't think there will be a problem with getting a job in the US with a Canadian degree. We generally trust our neighbors. That being said, I don't know that there's enough of a prestige difference (and engineer may correct me) between those universities for it to be a deciding factor. Also, with U of Akron, just something to consider is that the university is fine, but there are some bad neighborhoods near campus, at least according to people I've know who have live in that city. I can say that, personally, I'd be tempted with the offer from Kansas, although I can't say that I'd want to be an Iranian living in Kansas.

I have no idea what it's like it engineering, but in my discipline I have never seen an academic employed in the USA at a decent university that has a Ph.D. from a Canadian university. And looking at the placement records for the top 2 universities in Canada for the last 5 years shows no placements in American universities except a couple to very low ranked universities (for example, a Ph.D. student from McGill got placed to Southern Illinois University in 2011). 

Edited by victorydance

Another option would be to try and go for another cycle this fall. You obviously have a decent application because you are getting acceptances, might be worth it to give it another go and see if you get into a higher ranked American university.

Edited by victorydance

UBC is a good school but, I'd be worried about trying to live on that stipend. The stipends Kansas State and U of Akron are offering you would allow you to live very well in either location and to save money for a trip home should you so desire. But the visa situation with the USA is very complicated and I would be worried that you wouldn't be able to get another visa if you did decide to go home or overseas. (I'm thinking of this because of the recent high profile story about the Iranian tennis umpire who was denied a visa to come to the US to work the US Open even though he did so last year.) Given the visa thing, I would either go to UBC assuming your spouse can find work and you're prepared to barely make ends meet OR try again next cycle for admissions to other schools in Canada and the USA.

I have no idea what it's like it engineering, but in my discipline I have never seen an academic employed in the USA at a decent university that has a Ph.D. from a Canadian university. And looking at the placement records for the top 2 universities in Canada for the last 5 years shows no placements in American universities except a couple to very low ranked universities (for example, a Ph.D. student from McGill got placed to Southern Illinois University in 2011). 

I wasn't necessarily thinking about a job at a university, EE has a lot of options outside of the academy.

Correction to my previous post above: I had said that a full time minimum wage worker** in BC makes $1600 per year, but I really meant $1600 per month ($19,000 per year). So, if your spouse is able to find full time work, your total family income would be close to $3000 per month, which is definitely enough for two people on a modest lifestyle in Vancouver. Even a part time job that is at least ~24 hours per week or so would still put your family income at around $2400 per month, would be approximately the minimum income for a family of 2 that I would want to have while living in Vancouver (but it's still doable with less).

(**Note: Computed using minimum wage = $10.25/hour, 37.5 hours per week, 50 weeks per year); Also, I don't mean to assume your spouse would only be able to find a minimum wage job, but just to provide a lower limit on the income your family may have available if both of you are able to work.

Edited by TakeruK

I can't really answer most of your questions because engineering is not my field but my husband's family is from Youngstown (near Akron) and your stipend will go a long way there.  When we lived in the area we purchased a house for under $40k in a decent area because real estate costs considerably less than other parts of the US.  Renting a 3 bedroom house with garage and basement cost $425/month.