Clinical Psychology Ph.D. applicant thread Fall 2015

hummm

Hello everyone,

I thought it would be helpful to have one thread designated  to clinical psyc applicants. I'm in the process of contacting POIs, and still compiling/narrowing down my school list. I have 5 definite schools that I will apply to, but I'll be applying about 12-15 schools. I'm curious where everyone is at in their process at the moment.

Few questions for my fellow clinical psycapplicants:

(1) When contacting POIs, do you ask anything other than whether they are accepting grad students next year?

(2) For those who have contacted POIs already, have you guys had any luck speaking to them (like on a phone or through email)?

(3) Regarding fit of research interests, what degree of fit are you looking for? Let's say you are interested ADHD in adults, but your POI's population of interest is children. Does that raise a red flag for you?

I'm nearing the end of writing my SOP's. I need to get all my transcripts in order, my letters are all currently being written, but otherwise everything feels on track.

1. Certainly ask them if they will be taking on any students. I know people who have applied only to find out afterward and wasted all the time and money.

2. I have talked to a few on the phone, but the majority via email. Sometimes they take a while to get back to you, but they usually always do.

3. Your interests should be pretty specific and related. To fit your scenario, there was a program I was interested in, but majority of faculty specialized in a child area. I mentioned my interests (adult focused), and related it to theirs, but they still felt like I probably wasn't a good fit. I am not going to apply since I think I would not really be a competitive applicant based on my interests.

Good luck to you! I'll be applying to a few clinical programs this cycle, but also some other areas too, so we will see how it all works out.

2. I have talked to a few on the phone, but the majority via email. Sometimes they take a while to get back to you, but they usually always do.

KW58D, thank you for your reply! I'm curious about how long did they take to get in touch with you? Did you follow up with them before you get a reply?

Good luck to you too! :)

1. I made some specific comments on a particular professor's paper, basically outwardly wondering what would happen if the paper was expanded upon, but other than that I haven't asked any questions besides whether they were taking students.

2. All of the professors I've emailed so far have responsed (though email) except one and I started less than a week ago. I'm actually surprised how fast they've been responding. In a good way.

3. I'm deferring to KW on this one, but I think that if all of a professor's research is with children then if you want to focus on adults that probably wouldn't be a good fit. I also want to work with adult populations so I've been avoiding professors that work entirely with children and adolescents. If they're focus is children but they've worked with adult populations in the past, then an email might be worth it but I'm not sure on that.

I didn't follow up with any until I got a reply back. The longest I had seen to get a reply back was 6 weeks. Most were closer to 2 weeks though. Some email you back within a day. It really depends on a lot of factors. I have had a couple that never replied (4%) and I considered contacting them again, but ended up just talking to different prospective professors.

This will be my 1st round of applications to clinical PhD programs, and I definitely don't plan to get my hopes up, it seems like I'm going to need more experience before I can really put a strong package together (despite 2 years of research and a pub in undergrad). But for:

1) I just contacted PI's and asked about whether they were taking students, asked what tools they offered in their lab (psychophysiological, MRI, etc), and then shared my interests with them and how they tied into the work they did.

2) I've had 4 out of about 15 respond with many emails where we've engaged eachother back and forth, and then probably another 2 or 3 provide their number for me to contact them.

3) I'm looking for a PI who is proficient in psychophysiology that offers an opportunity for MRI work, and is interested in exploring mood disorders and integrating neuroscience with clinical treatment options. If they don't fit this becuase there's no MRI, I still consider them but if they aren't interested in neuroscientific approaches or applying neuroscience to improving clinical therapies than it's not gonna work.

Edited by Epoh

Thanks everyone!

For those who have communicated with POIs, how did you guys continue email back and forth? As of now, I got 2 replies (with one saying that he is unsure if he will take grad studnet next year) out of 8-9 POIs that I emailed to. On my first email, I asked them a direction of their research and whether they are taking any students next year. I don't know how to continue communication with the one who is planning to take a grad student.. any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Applying to these schools for fall 2015 (clinical psych):

wisconsin-madison

Purdue

Louisville

Idaho state

Syracuse

Queen's

Lakehead

UofT

Calgary

GRE:

verbal - 161

quant - 155

analytical - 4.5

GPA 3.3 overall

last 2 years 3.9

final year = 4.0

overall psychology classes 3.7

Anyone care to share what you think my chances are? (i'm canadian - does this increase my chances at american schools?)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if applicants from Canada have a better chance at acceptance into American schools. I think that your GRE scores are competitive, but your overall GPA 3.3  is low for clinical psychology programs. It will probably help that your last two years of school have been 3.9, and that you're at a 3.7 in your psychology major. Do you have research experience? Research experience is also really important. Good luck! Also, I want to add that my knowledge of what clinical psych graduate programs look for is only based on programs in the United States, I haven't researched any programs in Canada.

Edited by kara.spinney

Hey everyone,

I am applying to Temple's clinical PhD program and I cannot find specific instructions for the statement of goals on their website. I was wondering if any of you have some information on what they want us to write about?

Even just your opinion can help- should I write the "classic" statement with a bit of personal history, or does "statement of goals" mean to write only about my goals?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I am applying to Temple's clinical PhD program and I cannot find specific instructions for the statement of goals on their website. I was wondering if any of you have some information on what they want us to write about?

Even just your opinion can help- should I write the "classic" statement with a bit of personal history, or does "statement of goals" mean to write only about my goals?

Thanks!

I treated it just as a fairly standard SOP that includes goals, as in the application itself it reads "please enter your statement of goals." More tricky is the Interfolio process: http://www.cla.temple.edu/psychology/graduate/application-procedure/

Good luck!

Edited by CleverUsername15

Applying to these schools for fall 2015 (clinical psych):

wisconsin-madison

Purdue

Louisville

Idaho state

Syracuse

Queen's

Lakehead

UofT

Calgary

GRE:

verbal - 161

quant - 155

analytical - 4.5

GPA 3.3 overall

last 2 years 3.9

final year = 4.0

overall psychology classes 3.7

Anyone care to share what you think my chances are? (i'm canadian - does this increase my chances at american schools?)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

What is your research experience like? I know Calgary is a big research program, and they expect their students to be strong in the research. You need to at least have one major research project (like a thesis or an independent project). Pubs would help too. Your total GPA is a bit low, but your major GPA and last two years are strong. I think your chances will be good provided you have good research experience to back you up. 

I'm only applying to three clinical programs this time around: Simon Fraser, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick (a whole bunch of profs in my research area aren't accepting students for next year). This is my second time applying to clinical, after applying to clinical programs for the first time two years ago (I'm currently in an experimental MA program, doing clinical research though). I contacted POI's a while ago, and two of my applications are due December 1. I've pretty much done them, I'm just waiting for references to be submitted at this point. 

Hi! This is my first Grad Cafe post, but it was really nice to find a thread full of Clinical Psychology applicants. I can't wait for Spring, so for now I'm taking up journaling, Netflix, and whatever else can distract me from compulsively checking the Results Search page.

1) In my emails to professors, I read their a research paper/research websites and asked if they would recommend any additional papers to elucidate their current research focus. Some of the professors ignored the question and responded anyway, but the ones who considered my question offered a lot of helpful information.

2) Out of the 13 schools I emailed, 10 replied. I had one phone interview that was promising! But I am keeping my options open for now. Who knows who will be interested in further correspondence in January-February! 

3) I'm interested in the effect of clinical conditions on cognition, especially TBI. I tried to keep an open mind about population of interest, especially because a lot of programs have practicum opportunities in different populations/settings that can make up for almost-perfect research projects.

Now for the sit and wait...

Edited by rosiesg2

I'm only applying to three clinical programs this time around: Simon Fraser, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick (a whole bunch of profs in my research area aren't accepting students for next year). This is my second time applying to clinical, after applying to clinical programs for the first time two years ago (I'm currently in an experimental MA program, doing clinical research though). I contacted POI's a while ago, and two of my applications are due December 1. I've pretty much done them, I'm just waiting for references to be submitted at this point. 

I'm having the same problem. I wrote to Sfu, Windsor, and York and none of the people in my field are taking students. I am applying to UNB though!

I treated it just as a fairly standard SOP that includes goals, as in the application itself it reads "please enter your statement of goals." More tricky is the Interfolio process: http://www.cla.temple.edu/psychology/graduate/application-procedure/

Good luck!

Great, thanks! I appreciate your help. I think that's what I'll do as well. 

And the interfolio is indeed tricky :) 

What is your research experience like? I know Calgary is a big research program, and they expect their students to be strong in the research. You need to at least have one major research project (like a thesis or an independent project). Pubs would help too. Your total GPA is a bit low, but your major GPA and last two years are strong. I think your chances will be good provided you have good research experience to back you up. 

Yeah, I've been working on a thesis this year and I was a lab volunteer for a while....that's about it though. In my statement of intent I highlighted a major I have in biology as well. I said that it has fortified my scientific writing skills. I guess no one really knows what their chances are, it all depends on the pool of applicants, right?! but i'm sure we can all agree, this whole application process has definitely been a test of character!!!

Hey All,

As tomorrow is the 12/1 deadline, just wanted to say good luck to everyone! My advice when you submit is to try your best to take up some hobbies and other distracting things to not think about it. It can be a while before you hear back about interviews, and I was totally blindsided by the anxiety of waiting so long - it's not something anyone warned me about. 

I applied last year to clinical psych programs and am now a first year at my top choice. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll try my best to answer. 

Good luck!! 

Hey All,

As tomorrow is the 12/1 deadline, just wanted to say good luck to everyone! My advice when you submit is to try your best to take up some hobbies and other distracting things to not think about it. It can be a while before you hear back about interviews, and I was totally blindsided by the anxiety of waiting so long - it's not something anyone warned me about. 

I applied last year to clinical psych programs and am now a first year at my top choice. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll try my best to answer. 

Good luck!! 

Thanks AvatarPsych!

I'm wondering how long it would take to get an interview offer? When is the offer usually made?

Thanks AvatarPsych!

I'm wondering how long it would take to get an interview offer? When is the offer usually made?

Hey! 

I'm sure each program is different, and depends on the deadline. I don't think my program even starts looking until January. That being said, I received my interview invite pretty early within the first two weeks of January. Even within the program differed though, because some people didn't receive their invites for a few weeks after that. Some POIs here, for example, call themselves, and some let the admin call for them which would take longer. 

A lot of programs post their interview weekends on their websites. Definitely check that out. If it's a week or two before the interview weekend and you haven't heard a peep, it's likely you didn't receive an interview. 

Edited by AvatarPsych

From my experience, interview offers are made in the period from mid-January to early February. Some schools with exceptionally early deadlines, like Berkeley or Northwestern, will make interview offers as early as mid-December, but these timelines are not typical.

Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself and say out of the 14 programs I am applying to, two are in the area of Child-Clinical Psychology. My interests cut across HDFS, Child-Clinical, and Developmental so I applied to a range. How is everyone surviving the waiting game? I have applied to 9/14 programs as of the 1st and I'm already losing my mind. ;)

Anyone else in the same boat as me in terms of interests?

Good luck y'all!

My graduate student mentor had great advice for me: There's no need to worry about acceptances or interviews over the holidays. While you're building yourself up into an anxiety attack, your POI will be enjoying his/her Christmas ham.

But isn't it crazy to think that in a months time we could have interview invitations? A few weeks after that, acceptances or denials? Oh, my heart.