Does an EE Bachelor stand a chance for an MD degree?

perfectionming

I am an senior EE undergraduate who is currently doing my undergraduate thesis on computational neuroscience. I find myself really interested in medical study and wish to become a physician in the future.

After some basic research, I understand that I will have to take MCAT in order to be considered. Although it would be tough for an EE student, yet I have one year (after graduation) to study for it, meanwhile working as a research engineer on computational neuroscience.

Does this sound even possible? That is, am I able to obtain a satisfactory MCAT result with my one-year part-time efforts? Besides MCAT, what else is a top medical school (e.g., HMS) looking for among its applicants?

Thanks a lot in advance for the advice!

P.S.: In fact, I stand a good chance for the admission to a top EE PhD program. So what I am aiming for is actually a MD-PhD program. Will it be even more competitive as compared with a single MD program?

So while this is not my field persay, I was pre-vet during my first degree and pre-vet background is quite similar to a pre-med background with the addition to animal science courses. And with both fields (med and vet), in order to apply, they at the very least need to see that you have the prereqs (biology, chemistry, physics, etc) and that you have done well in those courses. Based on your major and the fact that you said you stand a good chance for PhD program, I am sure you would be suitable to apply for a medical school. 

There's a forum similar to this one called the "student doctor network", just it's all about medical, dental, veterinary, etc schools. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/

I would take a look there and you might find some people in similar shoes or just find more specific information. Hopefully I've helped  (even though my knowledge is minimal :P ) and good luck! 

I've heard in theory as long as you have the prerequisite courses, you can major in anything and get into med school. Look up prospective schools to see what undergrad classes they require. Generally chem 1&2, bio 1&2, physics 1&2, calc 1&2, and orgo 1&2. Other schools may have more specific requirements. I know they were planning on adding biochemistry to the MCAT in 2015 so that class might be required as well.

I've heard in theory as long as you have the prerequisite courses, you can major in anything and get into med school. Look up prospective schools to see what undergrad classes they require. Generally chem 1&2, bio 1&2, physics 1&2, calc 1&2, and orgo 1&2. Other schools may have more specific requirements. I know they were planning on adding biochemistry to the MCAT in 2015 so that class might be required as well.

Thanks a lot for replying!

This is exactly what I am worrying about. As an EE student, the Physics I&II and Calculus I&II are definitely of no problem. The thing is I have never learned Chem, Bio, and Orgo in school. However, I think I can self-learn for the MCAT. I am wondering if they still consider me if my MCAT is good, but the official transcript shows no courses of Chem, Bio, and Orgo.

Harvard: http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admissions/applying/requirements-admission

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/

As you can see, I don't think there is anyway around not getting those courses if you want in. Some people do what's called a post bacc  or take them at a community college (cheaper route).