Contacting the professors of interest

wildlifer

I am not sure if there was already a thread on this, but figured I would start one in case I am not the only one just starting the process. 

1). When contacting them, should I include my resume/CV right off or should I see if they ask for one? 

2). This question is a little more specific... one of the schools I have in mind is actually where I finished my first BS. My ornithology professor from there often has a graduate student or two and he is one of the professors I would like to contact. However, I haven't seen or spoken to him since I left the area, over 4 years ago. The class was a good size (60 +) and he teaches it every year, so as you can imagine, he's had a lot of students since me. Should I introduce myself as if I'm a stranger and see if he remembers me, or should I remind him that I was in his ornithology course and that I would be interested in working for him under a MS degree? Also, when contacting him, should I address him as I did back when I had class with him? He was a first name basis, laid back kind of professor.. hardly anyone ever addressed him as "Dr." or "Professor".

3). What is the appropriate amount of time for a follow up email or phone call? A week? 2 weeks? I don't want to be a P.I.T.A but I also want to be noticed. 

Sorry if my questions seem silly or dumb, I am just getting the ball rolling on all this and want to make sure I do it correctly :)

Edited by wildlifer

Hello, I'm just copying a post I made on a similar subject:

Hello Professor A

I am currently an English student in the UK and want to continue to study X in graduate school. I am particularly interested in particular X, and think that because your work "specific paper" is related to specific X, I think that you and your department would be a great place for me to continue my studies. Are you taking on graduate students for Fall 2015? Attached is a copy of my CV.

Thank you for your time,

Peachpenumbra.

I used a very similar email to all my POIs and got a response from every single one. Even the ones that didnt take on graduate students, they referred me to someone else who they think I might be a good fit with. The email does a few things : 1) it states who you are and what you are interested in. 2) It shows you have at least read 1 thing of theirs and it relates to what you are interested in. 3)  It is very short and doesnt waste the professors time.

I would send 4 line emails and get back essays from them in a response. The CV attachment is important; If your CV is good or impressive they will be more likely to respond knowing you at least have a shot to get in. Many students who contact professors dont have a shot.

I would wait a month; I have had someone respond to me in that time. Professors are very busy right now, especially in the sciences when they are planning on what NSF grants to write/ turn in as they are generally due in october/november/december. 

You should say that you were in his course... of course!

Hello, I'm just copying a post I made on a similar subject:

I would wait a month; I have had someone respond to me in that time. Professors are very busy right now, especially in the sciences when they are planning on what NSF grants to write/ turn in as they are generally due in october/november/december. 

You should say that you were in his course... of course!

That definitely makes sense and I will be sure to keep that in mind. Thank you for the straight to the point reply, it is helpful! 

I am not sure if there was already a thread on this, but figured I would start one in case I am not the only one just starting the process. 

1). When contacting them, should I include my resume/CV right off or should I see if they ask for one? 

2). This question is a little more specific... one of the schools I have in mind is actually where I finished my first BS. My ornithology professor from there often has a graduate student or two and he is one of the professors I would like to contact. However, I haven't seen or spoken to him since I left the area, over 4 years ago. The class was a good size (60 +) and he teaches it every year, so as you can imagine, he's had a lot of students since me. Should I introduce myself as if I'm a stranger and see if he remembers me, or should I remind him that I was in his ornithology course and that I would be interested in working for him under a MS degree? Also, when contacting him, should I address him as I did back when I had class with him? He was a first name basis, laid back kind of professor.. hardly anyone ever addressed him as "Dr." or "Professor".

3). What is the appropriate amount of time for a follow up email or phone call? A week? 2 weeks? I don't want to be a P.I.T.A but I also want to be noticed. 

Sorry if my questions seem silly or dumb, I am just getting the ball rolling on all this and want to make sure I do it correctly :)

1.  Information regarding whether or not to include a CV/resume in the initial contact email is all over the place.  In short, some will tell you to do it, some will tell you to ask in your initial email if you can send one in your next email, some will tell you to ask in your second email [after you have received a response] if it is okay to send your CV/resume in a future email, and others will tell you to wait until after a repertoire between you and the POI has already been established [whatever that may mean].  

Honestly, I do not think there is any standard convention here.  Some professors might welcome an unsolicited CV/resume, and others might be miffed. Personally, I would ask in the initial email.  

2.  When you contact him do so as a former student who desires his mentorship.  Your initial email, and all corresponding emails, need to remain professional.  That extends to how you address him: always Dr. or Professor.  It is a sign of respect no matter how laid back the guy is.  I know this peeves many Americans, but it shows that you understand and respect the roles that each of you are playing: mentor/student. 

3.  Two weeks seems to be standard advice.  You do not want to come across as desperate.  You don't want to come across as aloof, either.  How long you wait is really up to you; at least two weeks, but no longer than a month.  

1.  Information regarding whether or not to include a CV/resume in the initial contact email is all over the place.  In short, some will tell you to do it, some will tell you to ask in your initial email if you can send one in your next email, some will tell you to ask in your second email [after you have received a response] if it is okay to send your CV/resume in a future email, and others will tell you to wait until after a repertoire between you and the POI has already been established [whatever that may mean].  

Honestly, I do not think there is any standard convention here.  Some professors might welcome an unsolicited CV/resume, and others might be miffed. Personally, I would ask in the initial email.  

2.  When you contact him do so as a former student who desires his mentorship.  Your initial email, and all corresponding emails, need to remain professional.  That extends to how you address him: always Dr. or Professor.  It is a sign of respect no matter how laid back the guy is.  I know this peeves many Americans, but it shows that you understand and respect the roles that each of you are playing: mentor/student. 

3.  Two weeks seems to be standard advice.  You do not want to come across as desperate.  You don't want to come across as aloof, either.  How long you wait is really up to you; at least two weeks, but no longer than a month.  

Thank you for your input. I have read the same regarding resume/CV and I just wanted to see what other people's take on it was.  I generally do contact professors/employers by Dr., Professor, Mr, etc. The only reason I asked is because I do know him, but I see what you are saying and it makes sense.