GRE scores, clinical psychology

MsAmira

Hello :)

I took the GRE a few weeks ago and got my scores. I was overall pleased, but upon looking at the average GRE scores for students entering Clinical psychology, I started getting a little nervous. I keep reading on various websites that GRE scores aren't everything, but at the same time, I'd like to get some feedback on how I did in my exam. My scores are:

156 - Verbal 

150 - Qt

5.0 - AWA

I know my Math isn't super and that my verbal is decent. I have always been strong at writing so I am pleased with how I did in the writing section, although I don't think that AWA matters much for applying to clinical programs! 

I already sent my grades to two of the schools I am thinking of applying to. They both don't have "minimum" scores but both schools reported an "average" score for students who were admitted (and that average is slightly higher than my scores). :(

Any word of advice would be great! 

Thanks!

If you are lower than the average, it means you have scores similar to the bottom half of who they admit. You can take that for good news or bad news, but it stands to reason that the acceptance rate of people who get scores like yours is lower than the acceptance rate of people who get above the average.

If I was willing to reapply to graduate school next year on the event I didn't get in, I wouldn't retake the exam. If I was set on getting in this year, i would retake it.