Please help! They won't allow me to shadow an SLP!

Hey all, I could really use some advice on something.

I'm really serious about going into SLP. I contacted a few places that offer speech therapy, asking them  if I can shadow/watch their work. I know receiving first-hand experience like this is really important to know what a career in SLP is really like.

However, the clinics are contacting me back saying that I can't shadow them. Either because they "aren't looking for anyone new" or because of confidentiality issues. All I want to do is watch a therapist at work...I don't understand why some places are telling me that they aren't looking for anyone new, as if I want to work there.

I was wondering if any of you can give me advice on what to do. I really want to shadow, but it's hard when places don't let me!
Thanks!!!

Edited by Meen521

Those responses are not uncommon so don't feel discouraged. Sometimes, it's not just about privacy or lack availability to supervise a student observer, but some patients feel nervous or don't feel comfortable having a "new" person in the room. It could also be that some SLP's don't feel comfortable being observed.

My advice is to continue to be aggressively persistent and keep calling until one says yes. Check out the ASHA directory for professionals in your city: http://www.asha.org/findpro/

Some other places you can also try:  

• Local universities that have an on-campus speech and hearing clinic
  • Summer speech camps
  • Skilled nursing facility or a group home as some of those also staff SLP's year round
  • Apply for a long-term volunteering at a hospital, school district or private practice

I agree with the above. I haven't had any luck with private practice; try contacting local speech departments in hospitals and also contact those in schools.  Your best bet is calling and saying that you're a student interested in shadowing to gain experience. I wouldn't necessarily ask to do it for long-term, as that might get less answers; Just say that you are up to doing it for when is best for their schedules-- whether it's for several hours one day or over several days/a week. Good luck!

Do you have any friends working as an Occupational Therapist or Physical therapist, maybe even an assistant? They generally have friends working as SLPs. My friend called all her friends and her friends called all their friends. Eventually I found some SLPs to observe. Otherwise it would have been impossible for me to get some observation as well. It is really irritating I know.. It seems like nobody wants to help even though they had the same issues years ago. Good luck!