2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Yes, Professors typically prefer PhD students as they are able to get more out of them. I see you are interested in applying to a variety of research focus. Do you have one you're really interested in? Advise on schools can be better sought if your interest is known.

Im mainly interested in tectonics and sedimentology

On 11/24/2014 at 1:58 AM, prospecting said:

jamesy1116 - what are your research focus/interests?

nave1990 - If you intend to continue incorporating GPR into your graduate research projects, you might like to look into applying to Professor Guoquan Wang's (University of Houston) research group. He is definitely looking for motivated students, but realize that UH's program is one of the most competitive in the nation and your GPA is a tad on the low end. Never hurts to try though. You may also like to look into the University of Alaska - Fairbanks; they have a strong group with your research interests.

Here is the link to the faculty using remote sensing for their studies: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/research/remotesensing/People/Faculty

crystalline_sunlight - What is your intended research focus and have you contacted any professors? You definitely possess the credentials for the schools you are exploring.

Good luck all!

Well I'm mainly interested in planetary sciences (satellites to be exact, though I'm not terribly picky). While Arizona State, U of Arizona, WashU/WUSTL, Georgia Tech and other schools in Florida have very good planetary science programs, I just don't think I could live in any of those areas. I can't stand hot sunny weather and I'd really like to be near a body of water if possible....but maybe I'm being too picky...

That being said, I'm also interested in planetary differentiation and interiors, fluid dynamics and hydrothermal vents. I would really love to use Earth as an analogue and perhaps later apply this research to other planets and satellites. So some sort of glacial or ice sheet related research might be interesting as well (could be used as a Europa analogue!).

Any thoughts on how I should narrow down my list? 

On 11/25/2014 at 1:45 PM, Crystalline_Sunlight said:

Well I'm mainly interested in planetary sciences (satellites to be exact, though I'm not terribly picky). While Arizona State, U of Arizona, WashU/WUSTL, Georgia Tech and other schools in Florida have very good planetary science programs, I just don't think I could live in any of those areas. I can't stand hot sunny weather and I'd really like to be near a body of water if possible....but maybe I'm being too picky...

That being said, I'm also interested in planetary differentiation and interiors, fluid dynamics and hydrothermal vents. I would really love to use Earth as an analogue and perhaps later apply this research to other planets and satellites. So some sort of glacial or ice sheet related research might be interesting as well (could be used as a Europa analogue!).

I'll send you a PM

On 11/25/2014 at 1:45 PM, Crystalline_Sunlight said:

Have you looked into University of Alaska, Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute? They have plenty of faculty there who seem to be a good fit for you. 

Here is the list of faculty: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/profile/faculty-list

What do you think?

Edit: I understand the need to be next to a body of water and I believe Fairbanks would satiate that need; albeit, you'll have to deal with the winters. But hey! Winters are awesome!

Why the need for PMs GeoDUDE? And why only to females? As evident in your last two "I'll PM you" posts. 

I guess that is a coincidence that they are both female, or it could be i'm just always instinctively on the prowl (hahaha) .... but the biggest reason is I don't want some of the information on the departments I know about to be searchable. There is enough information on the internet to identify me, so some things I want to say I don't want to necessarily be traced to me (not that I'm saying anything bad, I guess, it just gives me more peace of mind). The only reason I post "i'll send you a pm" is that just incase they don't realize that they got the pm from me in the first place! 

Either way, I find it a better way to communicate larger patches of text without it getting lost in the backlog of a thread.

Is that ok with you?

Why the need for PMs GeoDUDE? And why only to females? As evident in your last two "I'll PM you" posts. 

Well, this forum is a discussion on where people are applying and their stats.  There are several reasons he may choose to PM instead of address the entire forum.  One may be simply that he doesn't want to clog the forum with a bunch of back and forth chatter. 

I think the real question is, why do you care whether he PMs or addresses the entire forum?  Would you like to know the information he's sharing?  Or are you simply trying to imply that "something fishy is going on"? 

If you want to know the information he's sharing, ask him.  If not, it seems as though you're just trying to start something.  This is not the place for that. 

Sincerely,

A female who received help from GeoDUDE last year. 

Edit: Just wanted to add that no, I am not an internet warrior.  But I find your question insulting considering he's trying to help people.

Edited by geographyrocks

What's the biggest difference in the admission process at UBC compared to American schools? I know about the required documents, but who does my application get handed to, in what order, and what is the most critical part of that process?

What's the biggest difference in the admission process at UBC compared to American schools? I know about the required documents, but who does my application get handed to, in what order, and what is the most critical part of that process?

With regards to who your application gets handed to:

1) If you indicate interest in a specific research focus highlighting the faculty you wish to work with, the PI should/will receive your application packet

2) The department's graduate admissions committee will receive your application packet

The most critical part of the application process is to have a faculty, from the department to which you are applying to, support your application. Most graduate committees base their decisions on their fellow faculty. So be sure to make good contacts with the Professors/Research Associates you wish to work with. I have had my fair share of seeing how far networking can get you. 

As you mentioned about difference in application process - the only true difference is taking the GRE is required at most schools in the USA.

Thanks for the reply. What's the process like with the graduate school admissions itself?

No worries, and could you elaborate your question? What specifics are you looking to understand better?

Edited by prospecting

I'm just wondering what the grad schools, not the geology departments, role is in admission. Just screening for minimum requirements?

There is a financial approval too, and sometimes background/special needs check. There are a few other things, I have actually only heard of one case were department has accepted a student but was rejected by the graduate school. 

I'm just wondering what the grad schools, not the geology departments, role is in admission. Just screening for minimum requirements?

Yes - schools can have a very stringent hold on the quality of their admits to preserve their standing. Although a department may support a student's application, graduate admissions may still reject the candidate. This may be due to a slew of reasons, not limited to personal/criminal background, GPA, and GRE scores. Departments may appeal but ultimately the decision lies in the department of admissions. Such cases are uncommon and you should be the last thing on your mind.

All the best with your applications. Always more than happy to answer more questions, so keep them coming! :)

I guess that is a coincidence that they are both female, or it could be i'm just always instinctively on the prowl (hahaha) .... but the biggest reason is I don't want some of the information on the departments I know about to be searchable. There is enough information on the internet to identify me, so some things I want to say I don't want to necessarily be traced to me (not that I'm saying anything bad, I guess, it just gives me more peace of mind). The only reason I post "i'll send you a pm" is that just incase they don't realize that they got the pm from me in the first place! 

Either way, I find it a better way to communicate larger patches of text without it getting lost in the backlog of a thread.

Is that ok with you?

I prefer to PM when I get into the down and dirty department details as well, or anything specific enough to identify me to others in my department. And I don't check my messages or have any notifications, so unless someone publicly posts like this I can miss messages. Finally, I rarely look at people's profiles, which presumably is where someone would put gender info, if they put anything at all.  I see that some posters have included this in their application info posts, but given how few of these there are, it isn't surprising that two of the posters that GeoDUDE! can provide additional info to are women. Long story short, as far as I'm concerned GeoDUDE! is being a good forum citizen--they are doing exactly as I would do, and as I've seen many others do in other threads.

Edited by Usmivka

The grad school (at UBC) has cutoffs--I believe it forwards all applications to the department that meet those qualifications, but I might have it backwards and the department recommends students for admission to the grad school which then culls the list. The grad school also deals with any visa requirements, which the department will more or less not deal with.

Grad Institution: large state university-- currently earning M.S.
Major(s):  geology
Minor(s):  
GPA in Major:  4.0
Overall GPA:  4.0
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: domestic male

Undergrad Institution: different large state university

Major(s):  geology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:  3.7
Overall GPA:  3.1
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: domestic male

GRE Scores (revised):
Q:  154
V:  149
W:  4.0

Research Experience: M.S. thesis research with funding and award from professional society, experience with some analytical instruments

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: professional society award for M.S. research grant, earned 2 awards/scholarships from undergrad institution while there.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: lab instructor (TA) for high level geology courses

Applying to Where:

Arizona State - earth and space exploration - igneous petrology/geochem

UC Santa Barbara - earth science - igneous petrology/geochem

UC Davis - earth and planetary sciences - igneous petrology/geochem

Oregon State - earth, ocean, and atmospheric sciences - igneous petrology/geochem

I'm applying for a PhD position, would prefer to be funded by a large grant.  Am I being too ambitious?  None of these are really "back-up" schools, but they do have a pecking-order in my mind... 

Undergrad Institution: Large state school
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.83
Position in Class: 1
Type of Student: White male
GRE Scores (revised/old version): I've only taken a ETS practice test so far. Taking the real GRE in one week.
Q: 159
V: 151
W: N/A

Research Experience: Completed an undergraduate thesis project that included detailed mapping of a 13 km squared area in western Arizona. I am the co-author on the map which is being published by the AZGS. Presented the results of my research during a poster session at this year's GSA meeting in Vancouver.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: First student in ten plus years to complete a thesis project in our department (we are not very research oriented). Top graduating student in department. Phi Beta Kappa.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I had a summer internship at the USGS which into a part-time job as a hydrologic technician. I did a summer internship working with a marine geochemist at the Carnegie Institute. I am currently employed as a geologic technician with a state geological survey.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Gave a 30 minute long seminar talk at my college. 

Special Bonus Points: I have a lot of interesting work experience, even outside of geology.

Definitely applying:

University of Montana - Tectonics
UC Boulder - Thermochronology

Possibly applying:

Indiana

Pittsburgh

University of Florida

University of Oregon

University of Oklahoma

University of New Mexico

Utah

Cincinnati

Iowa

Binghamton

Lehigh

Idaho
Vermont

I am looking for some advice on schools I should apply to with this profile. Assuming the practice GRE is accurate and my scores don't improve, what schools are in reach/out of reach? Ideally, I'd like to only apply to about 5 schools. Boulder is my top choice, but it's feeling like a stretch unless I can get in the 320 range. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by darkstar

If you have any questions about UC Davis (or you end up getting in and visiting) let me know, in a pm please.

Thanks!  I will definitely take you up on that offer when results/decision time rolls around.

I finished my applications about three weeks ago, I had mostly all but one of my recommenders failed me, specially weird since he was my main supervisor of my college thesis.

Anyway, I waited way too long on him, but I couldn't wait anymore so I cut him out.

I'm very impatient and I know I have to wait at least one month more. I just don't handle well having no information on something.

Anyone knows approximately how much time does it take for an answer? Specially the UT.

I finished my applications about three weeks ago, I had mostly all but one of my recommenders failed me, specially weird since he was my main supervisor of my college thesis.

Anyway, I waited way too long on him, but I couldn't wait anymore so I cut him out.

I'm very impatient and I know I have to wait at least one month more. I just don't handle well having no information on something.

Anyone knows approximately how much time does it take for an answer? Specially the UT.

UT is pretty good with sending out acceptance letters. If I recall correctly, I received mine at the end of January. Most acceptances heard back by Mid-February. I believe they send out rejections up till April.

UT is pretty good with sending out acceptance letters. If I recall correctly, I received mine at the end of January. Most acceptances heard back by Mid-February. I believe they send out rejections up till April.

That's what I was expecting more or less. Somehow had a little hope it would be this year, but that's because I'm very impatient about information. Thanks!