2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Undergrad Institution: Small, prestigious liberal arts; known as a "strong" geology program
Major(s): Geology

GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 164
V: 156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 4 years of research experience, on campus at my school, which led to multiple national conference talks; research off-campus at a internationally recognized laboratory, which led to an honors thesis and 1 publication thus far; research off-campus at a second well-known research institution, with publications pending.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National scholarships (NOAA Hollings and Goldwater) and multiple competitive smaller fellowships, dean's list every semester, other awards within my department/school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor and TA for geology classes

Special Bonus Points: Several of my research advisors are well-known and respected scientists in my desired field, so I'll have great LORs

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Lots of volunteer work/teaching experience related to improving participation of minorities in STEM

Applying to Where:
Caltech - Geology - Geobiology
MIT + MIT/WHOI - EAPS - Geobiology
CU Boulder - Geology - Geobiology

UC Davis - Geology - Geobiology

Penn State - Geosciences - Geobiology

Princeton - Geology - Biogeochemistry

Brown - Geology - Biogeochemistry

Undergrad Institution: Small, prestigious liberal arts; known as a "strong" geology program

Major(s): Geology

GPA in Major: 4.00

Overall GPA: 4.00

Position in Class: Top

Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised):

Q: 164

V: 156

W: 4.5

Research Experience: 4 years of research experience, on campus at my school, which led to multiple national conference talks; research off-campus at a internationally recognized laboratory, which led to an honors thesis and 1 publication thus far; research off-campus at a second well-known research institution, with publications pending.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National scholarships (NOAA Hollings and Goldwater) and multiple competitive smaller fellowships, dean's list every semester, other awards within my department/school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor and TA for geology classes

Special Bonus Points: Several of my research advisors are well-known and respected scientists in my desired field, so I'll have great LORs

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Lots of volunteer work/teaching experience related to improving participation of minorities in STEM

Applying to Where:

Caltech - Geology - Geobiology

MIT + MIT/WHOI - EAPS - Geobiology

CU Boulder - Geology - Geobiology

UC Davis - Geology - Geobiology

Penn State - Geosciences - Geobiology

Princeton - Geology - Biogeochemistry

Brown - Geology - Biogeochemistry

Credentials looking very good! I think you'd do well for the upcoming application season. Have you been in contact with any POI?

That's what I was expecting more or less. Somehow had a little hope it would be this year, but that's because I'm very impatient about information. Thanks!

I find UT's admission highly motivated by the connections you/your UG adviser has in the department. Have you made contact with any POI? 

Credentials looking very good! I think you'd do well for the upcoming application season. Have you been in contact with any POI?

I've been in contact with every school over email, and with all three of my potential MIT advisors face-to-face (two of them bumped into me at a conference where I was presenting, and the third is actually a friend who I've known since I first started with geo four years ago).

Every POI I've contacted via email wants to talk over the phone, but working out scheduling for that has been near-impossible this semester. I'm hoping that we'll be able to talk during January, after this (very crazy) semester has come to a conclusion. Fingers crossed that doesn't hurt my chances too much  :wacko:

Edited by sophie anne

I've been in contact with every school over email, and with all three of my potential MIT advisors face-to-face (two of them bumped into me at a conference where I was presenting, and the third is actually a friend who I've known since I first started with geo four years ago).

Every POI I've contacted via email wants to talk over the phone, but working out scheduling for that has been near-impossible this semester. I'm hoping that we'll be able to talk during January, after this (very crazy) semester has come to a conclusion. Fingers crossed that doesn't hurt my chances too much  :wacko:

I'd rate highly your chances. Yes, being able to speak with your POI may help establish an impression which will be useful in drafting letters of support to the graduate admissions committee (if they become interested in recruiting you). Candidates applying to highly competitive programs like MIT's, will have similar (if not better) credentials. Amongst all application requirements, I find relaying your intentions, aspirations, and motivations through a face-to-face session to be pivotal in securing admission. 

I also noticed you are not applying to Scripps. Is there a reason why? It is worth a shot with your credentials.

Edited by prospecting

I'd rate highly your chances. Yes, being able to speak with your POI may help establish an impression which will be useful in drafting letters of support to the graduate admissions committee (if they become interested in recruiting you). Candidates applying to highly competitive programs like MIT's, will have similar (if not better) credentials. Amongst all application requirements, I find relaying your intentions, aspirations, and motivations through a face-to-face session to be pivotal in securing admission. 

I also noticed you are not applying to Scripps. Is there a reason why? It is worth a shot with your credentials.

I'm assuming that I'm on the low end of MIT and Caltech credentials... those are definitely my "dream schools"!  :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that schools will often have students they are considering for admission visit during January and February, is this true?

I already have a visit planned to Brown for January, and I'm hoping to combine that with an MIT visit too, since I've never been on campus there before. The thing is, it's just not in the budget to fly to California on my own money right now (I live on the east coast), so phone conversations are the best I can manage unless the schools end up helping with the costs...

I'm not applying to Scripps because there isn't an advisor there who does research I'm particularly interested in, and because I don't need another "reach" school on my list. It and several other schools were on my initial list, but this is the pared down, interest and budget-driven list of schools. If I could apply to them all... but alas, money  :(

I'm assuming that I'm on the low end of MIT and Caltech credentials... those are definitely my "dream schools"!  :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that schools will often have students they are considering for admission visit during January and February, is this true?

I already have a visit planned to Brown for January, and I'm hoping to combine that with an MIT visit too, since I've never been on campus there before. The thing is, it's just not in the budget to fly to California on my own money right now (I live on the east coast), so phone conversations are the best I can manage unless the schools end up helping with the costs...

I'm not applying to Scripps because there isn't an advisor there who does research I'm particularly interested in, and because I don't need another "reach" school on my list. It and several other schools were on my initial list, but this is the pared down, interest and budget-driven list of schools. If I could apply to them all... but alas, money  :(

Both Caltech and UC Davis have accepted student days (where they pay for you to come out) so don't worry about that. So does MIT/WHOI. Not sure about the others, but I guess they would too.

They are usually late February and march, as thats when decisions come out. They tend to only invite accepted students in geosciences. 

Take those visits seriously, was not expecting to end up where I did. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

I find UT's admission highly motivated by the connections you/your UG adviser has in the department. Have you made contact with any POI? 

Yes, I have. I contacted a Professor and explained my situation (Industry-sponsored, work experienced, etc.). He accepted to be my thesis supervisor and told me to put that in my SOP. 

Equally in UH I got one of the most respected Professors (at least in the industry) to accept me, but I had already submitted my SOP when he answered, nonetheless the Program Coordinator was informed that IF I got accepted that would be the situation.

The only School where I didn't get an answer is CSM. 

Yes, I have. I contacted a Professor and explained my situation (Industry-sponsored, work experienced, etc.). He accepted to be my thesis supervisor and told me to put that in my SOP. 

Equally in UH I got one of the most respected Professors (at least in the industry) to accept me, but I had already submitted my SOP when he answered, nonetheless the Program Coordinator was informed that IF I got accepted that would be the situation.

The only School where I didn't get an answer is CSM. 

A little strange but congratulations!

Don't spend your own money on trips if at all possible. If you are semi-local, ask a potential advisor to chip in for a visit if you are doing one that isn't part of a visiting student weekend (which seems like a good idea to me, I don't think the weekends give a very realistic view of many programs).

I applaud your decision not to apply where there isn't a good advisor fit.  That said, the Scripps event for prospectives is supposed to be very nice. Something about dolphins and rainbows, apparently they can just queue those things.

University of Washington (geobiology in ESS or biogeochemistry in Ocean) isn't on your list? I think those departments are similar to the others lisited in your profile, but I don't know the particulars of what you are looking for in an advisor.

Feel free to send me a message if you have specific questions about the MIT based programs, but it sounds like you already know folks here and have a decent idea what you'd be getting into.

Edited by Usmivka

I just find it inappropriate for Professors to unofficially accept to supervise you before the deadlines have passed. 

It's an acceptance to supervise me IF I get into the program, just once I get into the program, not before.

I just find it inappropriate for Professors to unofficially accept to supervise you before the deadlines have passed. 

Also some Universities ask you to contact the faculty for this purpose. While you apply you should already have at least an idea of someone to supervise you in your project. I don't see how that's inappropriate.

That way you can also know if you would be wasting your time applying yo a program where no one would be able or willing to help you, and since my graduate studies are being sponsored by a government fund, I think they should know the situation beforehand and see if even then they would accept me.

Of the five interviews I had, not one Professor gave me any indication that they would my supervisor. (Of the schools you will be applying to, UT-austin and UHouston were two I had interviews at with my POI). They did however ask that I mention their name in my SOP so it would be brought to their attention when it comes to the application review session. I have never heard of being "accepted to supervise" before reviewing all applicants.

But you are coming in with funding which is a huge advantage and it could very well be Professors are eager to hire you on.

Of the five interviews I had, not one Professor gave me any indication that they would my supervisor. (Of the schools you will be applying to, UT-austin and UHouston were two I had interviews at with my POI). They did however ask that I mention their name in my SOP so it would be brought to their attention when it comes to the application review session. I have never heard of being "accepted to supervise" before reviewing all applicants.

But you are coming in with funding which is a huge advantage and it could very well be Professors are eager to hire you on.

Maybe it is a language thing and what I'm trying to say is not what is coming out. Or maybe I didn't understand their positive response.

But yeah, basically I exposed my situation and actually it seems like they said to you is what they said to me. I don't see it as weird as you do, and since I already have funding, and data provided by my company and a thesis subject, and one of them was the thesis supervisor of a colleague that just finished his PhD and wrote one of my letters of recommendation, maybe that's the reason they don't see much problem supervising my thesis work if I get in. It's not that big of deal either, you do your thesis work and they just watch that you go in the right direction and clear some doubts when needed. 

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Undergrad Institution: large state school, small department

Major(s):BS Geosciences

GPA in Major:3.2

Overall GPA:3.13

Position in Class: average

Type of student: female

GRE Scores (revised version):

Q:152

V:150

W:3.5

Research Experience: affiliated with my school and elsewhere, conducted internationally, GIS related research, resulted in a published abstract presented at a national (geography) conference,1st author out of 5

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: presidential service award- gold (250+ volunteer hours)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: student assistantship- mindless computer work for a professor; administrative assistant at a clinic; geoscience club vice president

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 6 week field camp

Special Bonus Points: female

Applying to Where:

University of Texas at El Paso- geological sciences dept- geophysics

University of Louisiana at Lafayette- geosciences dept- petroleum focus- sedimentology or geophysics

Texas Tech University- geosciences dept- geophysics

My concerns are low GPA, GRE, and when contacting professors- being able to have a meaningful conversation/ memorable

Opinions on my profile are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Undergrad Institution: large state school, small department

Major(s):BS Geosciences

GPA in Major:3.2

Overall GPA:3.13

Position in Class: average

Type of student: female

GRE Scores (revised version):

Q:152

V:150

W:3.5

Research Experience: affiliated with my school and elsewhere, conducted internationally, GIS related research, resulted in a published abstract presented at a national (geography) conference,1st author out of 5

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: presidential service award- gold (250+ volunteer hours)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: student assistantship- mindless computer work for a professor; administrative assistant at a clinic; geoscience club vice president

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 6 week field camp

Special Bonus Points: female

Applying to Where:

University of Texas at El Paso- geological sciences dept- geophysics

University of Louisiana at Lafayette- geosciences dept- petroleum focus- sedimentology or geophysics

Texas Tech University- geosciences dept- geophysics

My concerns are low GPA, GRE, and when contacting professors- being able to have a meaningful conversation/ memorable

Opinions on my profile are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Indeed your GPA and GRE scores are a little on the low end but it is still worth a shot applying to schools on your list. What do you mean exactly when you say your conversations with POIs are not meaningful nor memorable? Professors are busy and tend to leave very concise replies. Granted, I did have perhaps three (?) Professors continue their correspondences with me through between 10 to 20 emails outlining aspects of their research, getting me in contact with their current graduate students, enquiring about my post-graduate aspirations, and arranging follow-up sessions (phone, skype, in-person) where it would be quicker/easier to relay information. However, they were uncommon and most of my correspondences were short and quick-to-forget.

I have to say it took a lot of my own initiative to "getting the show on the road". I read, albeit briefly, my POIs research to establish an idea of their research focus. Knowing this, I draft an initial email unique to each Professor's research indicating a strong interest in their projects. Of course it also helped to know my own interests because it narrowed down potential advisers very quickly.

In a nutshell: I find that POIs tend to respond better to well-initiated students who share a keen interest in their projects and are clear on their intentions in graduate school.

I'd like to ask if there is a specific area of study you wish to pursue in Geophysics? I see sedimentology but it not clear the avenue you wish to continue. Have you looked into Kyle Straub at Tulane University? I believe he is seeking potential PhD students. Are you applying to do a PhD or a MSc?

Edit: One last thing I'd like to add is being a female or any one of the LGBT groups does not qualify as a special bonus, and does not grant special consideration.

Edited by prospecting

Undergrad Institution: Small public liberal arts school (Ranked 8th in US for liberal arts institutions I believe)
Major(s): BS Earth Science (2011)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: Near the top of my class
Type of Student: Female, US citizen

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 150
V: 159
W: 4.0

Research Experience: Worked on two undergraduate research projects. One was sponsored by the Nature Conservancy for a hydrological study of a protected site for rare pitcher plants. I received an undergraduate summer research grant from NSF for the other. It was on the movement of pharmaceuticals through soils/groundwater. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's lists, Departmental scholarship for my last semester, University research scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I worked as a tutor throughout undergraduate. I have been working with a large mining corporation as a research scientist in quartz geochemistry for the last three years or so (still there now). 

Special Bonus Points: Industry research experience

Applying to Where:

Have already applied to:
UT Austin- Geosciences- Geomorphology and surface processes

Duke University- Earth and ocean sciences- Geomorphology, coastal processes

Arizona State- School of Earth and Space Exploration- Geomorphology and surface processes

Planning to apply to:

University of Colorado Boulder- Geological Sciences- Surficial processes

University of Washington- ESS- Geomorph and surface processes

Oregon State- Geology- Surface processes, coastal processes

Not sure:

University of New Mexico- Earth and Planetary Sciences- Surface processes

Caltech- Geology- Earth surface processes/geomorphology. I originally really wanted to apply here, but I worry my GRE may be too low and that they won't even look at my application.

Biggest concern is the GRE quant score. I took it a year ago and got 149. After studying for two months and taking it again in Nov 2014, I only improved by 1 point  :unsure:

But, I have strong recommendation letters and three years of experience, so I am hoping that will make up for it.

Any opinions/advice on my profile are much appreciated!

Undergrad Institution: Small public liberal arts school (Ranked 8th in US for liberal arts institutions I believe)

Minor(s):

Research Experience: Worked on two undergraduate research projects. One was sponsored by the Nature Conservancy for a hydrological study of a protected site for rare pitcher plants. I received an undergraduate summer research grant from NSF for the other. It was on the movement of pharmaceuticals through soils/groundwater. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's lists, Departmental scholarship for my last semester, University research scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I worked as a tutor throughout undergraduate. I have been working with a large mining corporation as a research scientist in quartz geochemistry for the last three years or so (still there now). 

Applying to Where:

Have already applied to:

Arizona State- School of Earth and Space Exploration- Geomorphology and surface processes

Planning to apply to:

Not sure:

Caltech- Geology- Earth surface processes/geomorphology. I originally really wanted to apply here, but I worry my GRE may be too low and that they won't even look at my application.

Biggest concern is the GRE quant score. I took it a year ago and got 149. After studying for two months and taking it again in Nov 2014, I only improved by 1 point  :unsure:

But, I have strong recommendation letters and three years of experience, so I am hoping that will make up for it.

Graduate students who return to school after spending some time working tend to be mature and more focused; two qualities Professors find desirable in candidates. 

That being said - the schools you are applying to have excellent geology programs and despite your quantitative GRE score, I believe you will fare well this application season.

Because of its importance, I have to continue harping - have you been in contact with any of your POIs? Have you brought up your concerns? 

Graduate students who return to school after spending some time working tend to be mature and more focused; two qualities Professors find desirable in candidates. 

That being said - the schools you are applying to have excellent geology programs and despite your quantitative GRE score, I believe you will fare well this application season.

Because of its importance, I have to continue harping - have you been in contact with any of your POIs? Have you brought up your concerns? 

Thank you, that's good to hear! I had figured the experience would work to my advantage. 

I have contacted POIs for all of the institutions I have applied to already. I even had a phone interview with my POI at UT Austin (prior to re-taking the GRE). However, I have not really addressed the GRE score in any of these communications. I guess my thinking was that it was better not to highlight any negative aspects.  I will be sending out emails to the POIs at the remaining schools, probably over the next few days as I work on finalizing those applications. Perhaps I will mention it.

Actually, the first POI I contacted was at Caltech (Again, before I re-took the GRE), but I was told that the application process was treated a bit differently there. Apparently they just admit top candidates regardless of research interests or funding of particular faculty members. So my worry was that, despite contacting the POI I wanted to work with, that my application may get screened out early on just because of the low Quant score. But I suppose I have no way of knowing for sure. I guess all I have to lose is the $100 application fee...  

Minor(s):

Applying to Where:

Have already applied to:

Planning to apply to:

Not sure:

One thing you should take into consideration with your quantitative score is how much math you took during undergrad.  If it's substantial (with good grades), that may help to lessen the impact of the 150 quantitative score.  The problem with your scores is that you're applying to very popular programs.  CU Boulder gets over 600 candidates.  Most of the other schools you've chosen get a comparable amount of applicants.  What this normally means is that they thin the herd of apps using GPA and GRE.  I think you should be prepared to not make that cut UNLESS you have a POI that fights for you.  If you don't bring up the GRE scores, they may never even see your application. 

Are you applying for a Masters or PhD?  I would imagine that GRE cutoffs are lower for Masters students. 

One thing you should take into consideration with your quantitative score is how much math you took during undergrad.  If it's substantial (with good grades), that may help to lessen the impact of the 150 quantitative score.  The problem with your scores is that you're applying to very popular programs.  CU Boulder gets over 600 candidates.  Most of the other schools you've chosen get a comparable amount of applicants.  What this normally means is that they thin the herd of apps using GPA and GRE.  I think you should be prepared to not make that cut UNLESS you have a POI that fights for you.  If you don't bring up the GRE scores, they may never even see your application. 

Are you applying for a Masters or PhD?  I would imagine that GRE cutoffs are lower for Masters students. 

Ouch. That's pretty sobering. But I suppose the truth isn't always easy to hear. 

I wouldn't say I took a lot of math classes, but I was sure to go through Calculus II, as my undergrad advisor said it was beneficial for graduate school. I got an A in both Statistics and Precalculus and a B in both Calc I and II. I also took a calc-based Physics course and got a B in that as well. There was a lot of math infused into some my other courses within earth sciences and chemistry, but I doubt that fact would sway any opinions. 

I am applying for a PhD, so I know it will be very competitive. I felt like I was in a pretty decent position until the GRE came along. I was pretty crushed when I saw my score and I hate that so much of my career now hinges on this test. Oh well, c'est la vie. 

Ouch. That's pretty sobering. But I suppose the truth isn't always easy to hear. 

I wouldn't say I took a lot of math classes, but I was sure to go through Calculus II, as my undergrad advisor said it was beneficial for graduate school. I got an A in both Statistics and Precalculus and a B in both Calc I and II. I also took a calc-based Physics course and got a B in that as well. There was a lot of math infused into some my other courses within earth sciences and chemistry, but I doubt that fact would sway any opinions. 

I am applying for a PhD, so I know it will be very competitive. I felt like I was in a pretty decent position until the GRE came along. I was pretty crushed when I saw my score and I hate that so much of my career now hinges on this test. Oh well, c'est la vie. 

Keep your chin up. The decisions aren't out yet and there is no reason to feel defeated before it has even begun. While it is true you are applying to popular programs, there are many factors that go into a decision and the Q-GRE score is just one of them. 

I have seen students being admitted to these programs, with less qualified credentials, and so I believe you will fare decently well this application season. Continue what you are doing, and remember to keep your chin up! It ain't over till it is over :)

I also believe (correct me if I am wrong) that most geology students don't have to go past Calc I(?). I was a Geophysics major and had to do Calc III and 4. I believe only Geophysics majors have to go that far.....? So I guess you have that going for you if you have taken up to Calc 2.