2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Keep your chin up. The decisions aren't out yet and there is no reason to feel defeated before it has even begun. While it is true you are applying to popular programs, there are many factors that go into a decision and the Q-GRE score is just one of them. 

I have seen students being admitted to these programs, with less qualified credentials, and so I believe you will fare decently well this application season. Continue what you are doing, and remember to keep your chin up! It ain't over till it is over :)

I also believe (correct me if I am wrong) that most geology students don't have to go past Calc I(?). I was a Geophysics major and had to do Calc III and 4. I believe only Geophysics majors have to go that far.....? So I guess you have that going for you if you have taken up to Calc 2. 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response  :)

This has a been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me. Some days I feel incredibly optimistic and hopeful, but others I feel very discouraged,  but I think it's just part of the process. 

I think some universities prefer applicants who have at least two courses in Chemistry, Calculus, and Physics, but I was simply taking the advice of my undergrad advisor.  Although, I am glad I went through Calc 2, as I think it will help my case somewhat. 

All of my LORs have been very supportive and assure me that I still have a good chance of getting in. I sincerely hope that my applications do not get discarded for a single score, but I think it's a chance I have to take. I am putting a lot of effort in to be sure that I talk to someone at each institution before the application deadlines. Despite my reservations about my score, I still think I have a decent chance. Worst case scenario, I don't get in this year and then I'll have another opportunity to tackle the GRE and try again for Fall 2016.

Again, thank you so much for your encouragement. Best of luck to all you other Fall 2015 applicants!!  :D

Ouch. That's pretty sobering. But I suppose the truth isn't always easy to hear. 

I wouldn't say I took a lot of math classes, but I was sure to go through Calculus II, as my undergrad advisor said it was beneficial for graduate school. I got an A in both Statistics and Precalculus and a B in both Calc I and II. I also took a calc-based Physics course and got a B in that as well. There was a lot of math infused into some my other courses within earth sciences and chemistry, but I doubt that fact would sway any opinions. 

I am applying for a PhD, so I know it will be very competitive. I felt like I was in a pretty decent position until the GRE came along. I was pretty crushed when I saw my score and I hate that so much of my career now hinges on this test. Oh well, c'est la vie. 

I think the central point of geographyrocks' post is that you need to include prospective advisors in this discussion--they can push you in front of the adcom where you might otherwise not have passed through  coarse GRE/GPA screening, but don't know to unless you specifically talk to them about your GREs.

I also believe (correct me if I am wrong) that most geology students don't have to go past Calc I(?). I was a Geophysics major and had to do Calc III and 4. I believe only Geophysics majors have to go that far.....? So I guess you have that going for you if you have taken up to Calc 2. 

I just checked the undergrad degree requirements for where I went as an undergrad and where I am now, and one requires a year of calc and a course of one of either differential equations or linear algebra, and the other requires two calc courses and a higher level course which may require Calc III as a prerec. So it must vary by school. I'm not discouraging the above poster or any other applicant though, I think letters of rec and research experience are the most important elements of the application.

Edited by Usmivka

The GRE is a hurdle. If there is nothing left you can do about it for this application season, then I say there is no point in worrying about it. You have bigger fish to fry and I agree with Usmivka that LORs and Research Experiences are the more important factors. 

Continue what you are doing with contacting POIs and hope for the best. It is not over if you are not admitted this season. You will have Spring 2016, Fall 2016, etc. Furthermore, you will have the ability to strengthen your application.

But for now, focus and keep your eye on the prize! :) All the best, friend.

Undergrad Institution: Well known state (provincial?) school in Canada, strong geoscience program
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.95

Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Near top (I think #2 or #3)
Type of Student: Male, Dual citizen of Canada/US

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168
V: 161 
W: still waiting

Research Experience: Senior thesis project involving field work and geochron lab work (I did everything from sample crushing, up to data analysis, never would have thought I could care about a grain of zircon so much), hoping to present at an upcoming conference, maybe do a paper

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Departmental scholarships, Dean's List for the last four years, a couple national geoscience organization scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: summer internship at an oil and gas company last year, another one lined up for this summer, was on my undergraduate student society executive for two years

Applying to Where:

University of Colorado - Boulder - Tectonics, Geo/thermochronology, Sedimentary Geology

University of Arizona - Tectonics, Geo/thermochronology, Sedimentary Geology

Stanford University  - Tectonics, Geo/thermochronology, Sedimentary Geology

I guess my biggest concern is that I'm only applying to three schools and I just don't know how I'm going to stack up. The programs at these three places seem pretty competitive. 

Edited by endofcanada

Have you looked into University of Alaska, Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute? They have plenty of faculty there who seem to be a good fit for you. 

Here is the list of faculty: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/profile/faculty-list

What do you think?

Edit: I understand the need to be next to a body of water and I believe Fairbanks would satiate that need; albeit, you'll have to deal with the winters. But hey! Winters are awesome!

Late reply, but I do know a physics major at Uni of Alaska, if anyone had any questions about the school.

I just find it inappropriate for Professors to unofficially accept to supervise you before the deadlines have passed. 

I don't think thats inappropriate at all.  My current advisor has selected the students he's planning to accept and our deadline has not been reached.  I believe is is pretty standard and there is no reason for it to be otherwise that I can see.  Decisions are made based on how well the advisor thinks the student will work in his research group (at most universities) so when an advisor finds someone who he thinks is a good fit - or in GeoMex's case, Free AND a good fit - then I see no reason to move forward.  At my school, after a professor wants you the rest is a formality and I believe that is the case at many other schools if not most as well.

I don't think thats inappropriate at all.  My current advisor has selected the students he's planning to accept and our deadline has not been reached.  I believe is is pretty standard and there is no reason for it to be otherwise that I can see.  Decisions are made based on how well the advisor thinks the student will work in his research group (at most universities) so when an advisor finds someone who he thinks is a good fit - or in GeoMex's case, Free AND a good fit - then I see no reason to move forward.  At my school, after a professor wants you the rest is a formality and I believe that is the case at many other schools if not most as well.

Thank you.

Kind of what I was thinking (except that I don't know if it would be that easy if a Professor accepted), but since I'm not familiar with how the US Universities work, I felt like I may have misunderstood.

Undergrad Institution: large public school in US ranked top in nearly all sciences

Major(s): geophysics & applied mathematics
Minor(s): physics
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.55
Position in Class: near top (for major)
Type of Student: domestic female

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 157
V:  160
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 2.5 years of research at my current school in EPS, 1 REU in materials science, 2nd author on high-profile paper, more in prep..

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: none, I guess? (yikes!) honors for a few semesters...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: grader, long-time member of several science based organizations

Special Bonus Points: 2/3 of my recommenders are extremely well known in their respective earth science disciplines. One is my research advisor who I'm very close with and the other is our dept chair whose grad level class I took.

Applying to Where:

Yale - Geology & Geophysics - Solid Earth Geophysics

Stanford - Geological and Environmental Sciences
(Also applying to CalTech, MIT, UCSB, UCSD for materials science)

I realized that AGU week is my favorite time of the year, and now I regret not applying to more earth science programs, so I'm looking into collaborations at the MatSci schools. I met with potential advisors at Yale and Stanford and love their personalities and their research. A little worried about my sub-par GRE scores and GPA. I took a lot of extra physics classes for a letter grade that I wasn't mature enough to ace... Would love any advice or comments about Yale or Stanford from current/past applicants!

I don't have much to offer in terms of your applications, but I will say that those collaborations you are looking for are out there. I do a ton of material science work, and collaborate with a few material scientists, and they are definitely eager to work with earth scientists (or the other way around). 

I am having a hard time keeping my mind off of this application season. Wish all the best of luck!

I'm honestly pretty ready for this process to be over. I've been working on contacts and applications since about August. I just want to know!

I'm honestly pretty ready for this process to be over. I've been working on contacts and applications since about August. I just want to know!

Same! Though it is a relief that there's officially nothing more I can do--no one else to contact, no more researching schools, no more editing my statement. I've given it all I've got! Now it's up to them...

You guys make me think I didn't put enough time on my SOP, even when I don't see how could one spend more than a day writting a 2 page document. 

Anyway, like Crystalline_Sunlight said, there's nothing more to do, just bear the anxiety of waiting for an answer.

I wish all of you success in the admissions process.

Edited by GeoMex

You guys make me think I didn't put enough time on my SOP, even when I don't see how could one spend more than a day writting a 2 page document. 

Anyway, like Crystalline_Sunlight said, there's nothing more to do, just bear the anxiety of waiting for an answer.

I wish all of you success in the admissions process.

It's mostly just draft after draft and anxiety-fueled.

I must have spent the better part of a year just researching schools and learning as much as I can about POIs. Like stated above, it is nice to know I have done my part. 

I occasionally worry that I have some catastrophic flaw in my application- like I listed a POI that works at a different school- and the admissions committee is just laughing at my application. 

POSITIVE THOUGHTS FROM HERE ON OUT!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

It's mostly just draft after draft and anxiety-fueled.

I tried not to think much about it, I read some examples about what's supposed to had and did it. I think I spent like 2 hours total in it and some more waiting for friends in the field to check it out.

I am submitting my applications close to the deadlines. I still have four more to go. I feel like such an underachiever.

I submitted mine in november thinking it would help to do it earlier, I rushed some things and seeing how everyone did it in december I felt dumb and also foolishly I thought I could get some news before the deadline, bad logic.

I must have spent the better part of a year just researching schools and learning as much as I can about POIs. Like stated above, it is nice to know I have done my part. 

I occasionally worry that I have some catastrophic flaw in my application- like I listed a POI that works at a different school- and the admissions committee is just laughing at my application. 

POSITIVE THOUGHTS FROM HERE ON OUT!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

I started my "research" since 2013 but since I got my company's "green light" last year, I didn't apply then. I read a lot and had to cut my universities from like 9 options to 3. 

And I think there are more like us that worry about those catastrophic flaws, specially with my LOR because my writters could have not understood exactly how the process was or they could have errors with their writting in English, etc.

I hope you get in!

I am submitting my applications close to the deadlines. I still have four more to go. I feel like such an underachiever.

Nahhhhh no big deal! So long as you get it in before the deadline right? I actually still have a couple left to submit too ;) (But luckily all of my most stressful apps are in!) Honestly this whole process has been so stressful that I consider even submitting an application to be a huge accomplishment whether it be close to the deadline or not!

Nahhhhh no big deal! So long as you get it in before the deadline right? I actually still have a couple left to submit too ;) (But luckily all of my most stressful apps are in!) Honestly this whole process has been so stressful that I consider even submitting an application to be a huge accomplishment whether it be close to the deadline or not!

AMEN! How many programs are you applying to? I started with 8 and managed up submitting 6 applications. One of my buddies is applying to 13 programs, so I consider my 6 a success! :)

GeoMex, I hope you have good luck as well! Thank you for your kind words.

AMEN! How many programs are you applying to? I started with 8 and managed up submitting 6 applications. One of my buddies is applying to 13 programs, so I consider my 6 a success! :)

GeoMex, I hope you have good luck as well! Thank you for your kind words.

I think I'm applying to 6 as well! (still iffy on one... but it has a late deadline so I have time) My first go through researching schools left me with 13-14 programs. Then I narrowed it down to 6 (or 7).  Any more than 7 and it would have been too much time and money. Plus I can't imagine having to deal with keeping up communications with any more POIs than I have right now (and I'm terrible at responding to emails as it is! :P).

I'm actually only applying to two schools and still have not finished the SOP for the second one  ;). I'll probably be done with it soon though. What sucks is that I emailed my POI from the first school to tell him I submitted my app, and then he tells me that he needs to check with the school to see if he has funding for a student.... We've been talking since early August, had a phone interview, had a skype interview, talked about projects I could work on, timeline of events/field seasons etc. He said he had money for like 3 students, so I hope this gets figured out  :unsure:

I'm actually only applying to two schools and still have not finished the SOP for the second one  ;). I'll probably be done with it soon though. What sucks is that I emailed my POI from the first school to tell him I submitted my app, and then he tells me that he needs to check with the school to see if he has funding for a student.... We've been talking since early August, had a phone interview, had a skype interview, talked about projects I could work on, timeline of events/field seasons etc. He said he had money for like 3 students, so I hope this gets figured out  :unsure:

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that! Maybe his inquiry with the school is regarding the departmetns ability to fund and support you. As opposed to your financial support coming directly from your POIs grants? So maybe the question is purely a 'how do we?' in regards to funding?

Stay positive and good luck!