EAPSI 2015

guttata

This happens every year. The host country is a partner so they must officially accept you as well, but a tentative offer from NSF is essentially a full acceptance. I don't think there are any instances of a tentative offer being rejected b a host country.

Also, this is not significantly earlier than last year. Japan was announced on January 31. Each country is announced a a different point throughout the month, it seems both because of host country details and to space out the workload for NSFs EAPSI staff. For example, Japan was Jan 31, Australia was Feb 14, and Taiwan was nearly into March, at like Feb 27.

This happens every year. The host country is a partner so they must officially accept you as well, but a tentative offer from NSF is essentially a full acceptance. I don't think there are any instances of a tentative offer being rejected b a host country.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

Me too! I guess they're sending them out much earlier than in previous years. Will you be in Tokyo?

Nope, I'll be at Osaka University.

Edited by lionlament

So, I applied for Japan but haven't heard anything,..... Should I go ahead and assume it's a no go! Sad!

Announcements are all put through at the same time (roughly, since it appears EAPSI has to mail them by hand rather than by batches like similar programs). If you didn't receive a notification for your country when others did (+/- a few hours), you didn't make the first cut. However, they do maintain a waitlist and move down if people cannot accept or do not respond to their acceptance. Especially with as many spots as Japan (65, if memory serves), there's a chance that they'll have to go to the waitlist for at least a few spots. It's not something to bank on, since no more than a few spots can be expected to open up, and fewer in the more popular countries like NZ and Australia, but it is possible. You're not officially out of the running until you've missed the orientation.

Congrats to everyone who got a Japan offer!! 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Korea offer  ^_^

anyone else apply for Korea?? 

Hi, I applied Yonsei University in Korea.  I haven't heard anything yet, hopefully soon!

Congrats to everyone who got a Japan offer!! 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Korea offer  ^_^

anyone else apply for Korea?? 

I applied to Daegu University in Korea. My adviser has a former postdoc at that university.

I have not heard anything yet. If I remember from past threads I found, Korea would most likely be announced this week or early next week around the middle of the month.

Waiting on China (I know it's still early). Don't suppose anyone has gathered any information about the upcoming announcements? 

Waiting on China (I know it's still early). Don't suppose anyone has gathered any information about the upcoming announcements? 

There are no announcements about upcoming announcements. First people to hear anything for a given country are the awardees. Next will be waitlisters, after 1st choices decline. Mid-March there will be an official email to rejections after all the spots have been filled for the April orientation. Finally, late April or early May panel and individual reviews will go up on FastLane. This was my experience during a rejection last year and acceptance this far this year.

I emailed the NSF representative for Japan, and she said that the nomination deadline for Japan is February 20. For those like me waiting for official offers from Japn, hopefully we'll hear back within the week.