Bad GPA for complit PhD?

tango01

Hi,

I've got a solid A- GPA from my master's program and was told that I should not bother applying to PhD's in comparative literature at top tier schools with anything less than a 3.9. My GRE scores are pretty high but I am still not sure if this counter balances my GPA. Thoughts?!

You should base your decisions on where to apply on those places that have a good fit for your desired research interests.  It would be wise to include some of the more prestigious schools if you feel so inclined as well as though you feel you would very competitive applicants.  Do not hold yourself back to apply to a top tier program that is a good fit for you just because of your GPA.  As a comparison, do not only apply to top tier programs that are known to attract highly competitive students if that is the case.  Basically, spread your applications a bit to find good fit no matter what, with different levels of competitiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

Your GRE scores will not matter much given that you're already coming from a master's program. How you did in that program, your writing sample, letters and the degree of your professionalization (have you presented at conferences, for instance) will matter much more. A great writing sample and good letters could offset a lower than ideal GPA. 

On the other hand, if you've been in contact with professors at your target schools and have people in line who want to work with you and who will go to bat for you, you needn't worry about your GPA.