MSW UC Berkeley

esimanon

Hello All!

I am reapplying to Berkeley this year as I was denied last year. Womp womp. 

The good news is that I have some resources already .. I created a Google doc last year where some people who were accepted entered their 'stats'.

I would love to start the conversation around UC Berkeley this year. What are you thoughts/concerns/hang ups?

Feel free to enter your stats on the Google doc as well :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkjOvskLKG_XdGh2QUk5X1BwWlhoUWVncFByLXZMbGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Hey folks!

Good luck with your application process this year. I found this post to be extremely helpful when I was writing my SOP, Personal Statement, and Analytic Question essays for Berkeley and for other schools:  Read through the whole post (if you haven't already). There's a lot of great info from socialworkphd and others contributing to the discussion.

The Personal History Statement essay for Berkeley can seem somewhat intimidating and when I went to the info session some people were confused about the difference between that and the Statement of Purpose. If you can or are in the Bay Area I highly suggest attending one of the program's MSW info sessions. I found it really helpful. 

It was really hard for me to get started on my personal statement too, but I think the most important thing is to just start putting words on paper so to speak. Let me know if you'd like to send me any ideas you have about how you want to frame your essay or if you'd like feedback on any first drafts. I'd be happy to help!

@esimanon Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you this time around! Are you applying to any other programs?

@ontheswpath Thank you for all the information! I attended the info session today and it definitely gave me better idea of how to differentiate between the statement of purpose and personal history statement. I would love to send you some ideas I have and also hear about your experience so far in the program. 

@esimanon Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you this time around! Are you applying to any other programs?

@ontheswpath Thank you for all the information! I attended the info session today and it definitely gave me better idea of how to differentiate between the statement of purpose and personal history statement. I would love to send you some ideas I have and also hear about your experience so far in the program. 

Absolutely. Feel free to send me a private message.

Edited by ontheswpath

So, according to what you understand, is the difference between the Statement of Purpose and Personal History Statement? Let's get a consensus here since is seems to be a point of confusion. 

THanks all!

From what I understood the SOP should discuss what led you to pursue a msw and what you plan to do once you have the msw. This is also the statement where you mention the concentration you're interested in and how/why it connects to your future career goals.

Your PHS should describe your personal connection to social work

Edited by mswhopeful2015

• 2 months later...

No one has posted here since September. Has everyone already submitted their applications or am I the last straggler?

You're not alone. I'm still working on my analytical statement and making final touches to my SOP and personal history statement. I'm getting really anxious with the deadline only ONE week away!

I'm about to submit but I just can't - I'm worried that my SOP isn't perfect - but I know it won't ever be *perfect*. This is my second year applying so I'm just super anxious that my application will get denied again. Anyone else applying to Title IV-E?

Anyone know if our answer to the analytical question has to be directly related to the concentration we're applying to, i.e. clinical intervention if we're applying to CMH, or can it be a more structural/policy intervention?

• 3 weeks later...

How did turning in the ap go for everyone?

Just glad it's over and I can resurface in society again. Let's all pretend the wait isn't going to be stressful? *Cookies and good vibes for everyone*

• 2 months later...

For Title IV-E students, I just emailed Catharine Ralph (Title IV-E coordinator)- she said she was gone on bereavement leave and has just returned. Now she's able to resume reviewing applicants with the decision board.  She stated that Title IV-E students will hear about interview invitations within the next couple weeks. 

Edited by esimanon

I know we're supposed to hear back in the next few weeks, but has anyone contacted Berkeley to see if they have a more precise estimated timeframe for sending out decisions?

I haven't, but I'm irrationally afraid to so I'm just here hands wringing and stomach roiling 

For which concentration? All of them? I am wondering why they are later this year at sending acceptances....last year I heard on 3/3/14. I can't take this waiting game any longer!!!

Also, I applied to the Title IV-E program... they interview everyone they are considering so maybe that means we will find out sooner/ish? I sure hope so. I can't wait much longer. Now I'm getting too mental about the whole thing. 

I emailed Cathy today. She said title iv e applicants should be hearing from her office within a week!!

For which concentration? All of them? I am wondering why they are later this year at sending acceptances....last year I heard on 3/3/14. I can't take this waiting game any longer!!!

Also, I applied to the Title IV-E program... they interview everyone they are considering so maybe that means we will find out sooner/ish? I sure hope so. I can't wait much longer. Now I'm getting too mental about the whole thing.

Just got the email saying they'll let us know by 3/16. Of course I had a mini heart attack before I opened the email thinking it was a decision. Back to developing ulcers...