MSW UC Berkeley

esimanon

What concentration did you apply for?  I can't tell, but on the results page it looks like it's mostly (if not only) CMH applicants who have gotten acceptances so far.  You could also try calling the department; I've found everyone I've talked to there super helpful.

What concentrations would you say are the least popular vs most popular? I can guess that gerontology and MAP are towards the least popular side of the spectrum....

and do you think your concentration choice has any bearing on your admittance? thanks

What concentrations would you say are the least popular vs most popular? I can guess that gerontology and MAP are towards the least popular side of the spectrum....

and do you think your concentration choice has any bearing on your admittance? thanks

Gerontology and MAP tend to be smaller cohorts (particularly the former). As an applicant, you are only competing against other applicants within your chosen concentration, and some are more competitive than others. Your 'odds' have to do with both the size and the quality of the pool, and the number of spaces available in the cohort.

Good luck to those still awaiting results.

Edited by briefinterviews

Hey Za3lana (and any others), can I ask your reasons for choosing Berkeley over UCLA?

Hi! I'm partial to Berkeley because I loved it as my undergrad school and feel like I'm a much better fit to the community/culture here than SoCal. I'd much rather stay in the Bay Area and think the program is better overall. Also heard about the controversy with the professor recently, but as others mentioned on the thread the students aren't afraid to call out problematic, i.e. privileged racist, bullshit.

Idk if UCLA has similar events but we just had the 30th Empowering Women of Color Conference here put together by the graduate student assembly. I'm just really in love with Berkeley :)

Hi! I'm partial to Berkeley because I loved it as my undergrad school and feel like I'm a much better fit to the community/culture here than SoCal. I'd much rather stay in the Bay Area and think the program is better overall. Also heard about the controversy with the professor recently, but as others mentioned on the thread the students aren't afraid to call out problematic, i.e. privileged racist, bullshit.

Idk if UCLA has similar events but we just had the 30th Empowering Women of Color Conference here put together by the graduate student assembly. I'm just really in love with Berkeley :)

Out of curiosity (I'm not a California native), what would you say the major cultural differences are between the Bay area and SoCal? 

Hey Za3lana (and any others), can I ask your reasons for choosing Berkeley over UCLA?

I did my undergrad at UCLA, and lived and worked in Los Angeles for three years before doing my MSW at Berkeley--then I moved back to Los Angeles. I was accepted to UCLA and USC, and a smattering of out-of-state programs, but had a gut feeling about Berkeley.

There is a high concentration of MSW programs in the Los Angeles area, and I was concerned about field placement opportunities. UCLA and USC also seemed to pride themselves on throwing first-years into wholly unfamiliar territory for their field placements, and I wanted my field placement selection to be more of a strategic collaboration--which is what Cal ended up being able to offer (at least in my concentration).

Other factors included reputation, cost, research opportunities, cohort size, and I think on some level I knew I wanted to come back to L.A. after my program, so an out-of-state move just wasn't worth the hassle when I had a great in-state option. In hindsight in regards to cost, though, I probably actually would've been better off if I had stayed in L.A. Tuition at the time was lower, but the cost of living in the Bay Area was definitely higher.

However, before I was even admitted, I knew the Bay Area was not going to be my scene (and it wasn't). It is a little too crunchy granola (and cold!) for me, and there is an air of pretension. People who like it up there really tend to like it up there, and more power to them (though they also tend to love to hate on L.A. without being provoked). That being said, I never regretted going to Berkeley--I had incredible learning and work experiences, amazing mentors entered my life, and I would not be where I am right now without the training and opportunities I had while in my program.

Edited by briefinterviews

Out of curiosity (I'm not a California native), what would you say the major cultural differences are between the Bay area and SoCal? 

As briefinterviews mentions above, the Bay is stereotypically full of pretentious, crunchy granola hipsters and gentrifying techies. SoCal is all superficiality, pollution, and traffic. In reality, both places have great people and charm. The nature is nicer up here, the beaches are better down there. I can only really speak on the Bay and I like it for its social consciousness, art, food, and mild weather. I've enjoyed SoCal every time I visited though. As long you find the right people and build a community around you that you like, either place is fine because the west coast is the best coast, etc etc hahaha.