Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Thanks for the info about NYU, CaitlinMarie! I was getting a bit nervous because I think last year they held interviews earlier.

NYU has another meeting Friday. I think to finalize the list for interviews. 

oof, thank you both for the update, just as I was starting to tell myself to let NYU go, as surely they had notified interviewees already .... *back into the cave*

Bloomington just requested another writing sample and I just sent it. Is that a good sign? Or really bad. Was my sample awful? I'm super worried now. Is that a normal thing?

Hey, I also got Bloomington asking me to send extra info a couple of weeks ago, a letter of recommendation in my case.

I don't know if that's good news or not, but I guess that if they were going to reject us straight away they wouldn't bother asking for extra info? 

Weeeeell looks like it's been rejection week all around for me, three in a row. Five left but I really only have hope for 1. At least it's better than not knowing. 

Still. I hope everyone else has had better news.

Rejected from UCSD this morning. 

Email was sent at 1:55 AM, which is almost certainly a time reserved for rejections and never acceptances. haha

First rejection..  :unsure: but I'm doing alright. Probably wasn't ready for a PhD right now anyway!

UW rejection with the same email as Autumn. I can't really complain though since I was most likely to accept my offer to Pitt anyway.

Congrats on Pitt! What area were you accepted into? I'm waiting on them, and I know they historically operate on a weird timeline! Do you have any insight as to where they are in their process?

Hey everybody, I think most of you know this already but I got confirmation about UW-Madison from Jonathan Gray. They can't send out "official" rejection notifications yet, but he wanted to inform curious parties "unofficially": 

"Media and Cultural Studies; Film; and Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture have each admitted 4 people so far. There is a possibility of a further admission or two per area being freed up later, though in each case these picks would come from those already interviewed. If someone applied to one of those areas and hasn’t been interviewed, this is a fairly clear sign at this point that they’ll receive a rejection letter in due course. Meanwhile, Communication Science hasn’t yet finalized its admissions; they’ll very likely have the same number as the other three programs, but nobody should assume they’re out of the running for CommSci yet."

So what does it mean if I haven't heard anything at all from Michigan? @_@ 

Check Wolverine Access. I didn't get a notification; I just looked and there was a new "View Decision" link with a terse little blurb. 

Same deal at UT Austin. 

waitlisted at UT Austin. 

When I got the e-mail from my POI at UT-Austin about the funding situation there he said that there was almost no funding whatsoever this year for new admits.  Even a lot of people who were accepted won't get funded offers.  (I got a one year fellowship, but am wait listed about full four year funding.)  Sorry to be a kill joy, but I wouldn't want people to get their hopes up about funding.  

Hey everybody, I think most of you know this already but I got confirmation about UW-Madison from Jonathan Gray. They can't send out "official" rejection notifications yet, but he wanted to inform curious parties "unofficially": 

"Media and Cultural Studies; Film; and Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture have each admitted 4 people so far. There is a possibility of a further admission or two per area being freed up later, though in each case these picks would come from those already interviewed. If someone applied to one of those areas and hasn’t been interviewed, this is a fairly clear sign at this point that they’ll receive a rejection letter in due course. Meanwhile, Communication Science hasn’t yet finalized its admissions; they’ll very likely have the same number as the other three programs, but nobody should assume they’re out of the running for CommSci yet."

Did anyone else expect this post to be a weird amalgamation of 50 Shades of Grey and PhD rejection letters??? Anyone? Just me...it was my bad....