Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I saw a couple of posts like that on the results forum. From your sig -- have you been waitlisted from nyu mcc phd? or another program?

thanks a lot! fingers crossed here since I haven't been rejected yet! :)

wonder why they'd reject in groups... just to mess with our nerves more, probably.

Hiya! I'm waitlisted for NYU anthro, not MCC. But I know that my friend got a generic-y email from the Director of Graduate Enrollment. 

Yay thank so much for sharing! I was feverishly wondering who's rejection that was... Hopefully we'll all be 5 x 5 soon ;)

That's what I'm hoping.....this process is killer!! Need to keep some of that slayer cool :P 

Yay thank so much for sharing! I was feverishly wondering who's rejection that was... Hopefully we'll all be 5 x 5 soon ;)

I am really wondering why they are sending out rejections in groups? Did these people receive official rejections or did they just email and ask?

I am really wondering why they are sending out rejections in groups? Did these people receive official rejections or did they just email and ask?

The other thing I am wondering -- some people have gotten interviews, right? Someone said a few days ago that "they were interviewing for MCC..."

But we haven't heard anyone say they got an interview here... :(

The one she got was an official email---- she didn't email anyone/it didn't come from a POI

The other thing I am wondering -- some people have gotten interviews, right? Someone said a few days ago that "they were interviewing for MCC..."

But we haven't heard anyone say they got an interview here... :(

Yep! That was me who said they were interviewing. I called the department and asked and they mentioned they were in the midst of the first round of interviews. Maybe someone else could call and see what is going on? I would be surprised if no one from the Grad Cafe got an interview. I know it is not representative of the entire pool of applicants, but still...

The one she got was an official email---- she didn't email anyone/it didn't come from a POI

Thanks fiveby5! That makes me wonder if the applicants have been divided into different groups of rejects, first round, second round, etc. I know I'm speculating but I am just so tired of waiting! haha!

Edited by CaitlinMarie

Yep! That was me who said they were interviewing. I called the department and asked and they mentioned they were in the midst of the first round of interviews. Maybe someone else could call and see what is going on? I would be surprised if no one from the Grad Cafe got an interview. I know it is not representative of the entire pool of applicants, but still...

Thanks fiveby5! That makes me wonder if the applicants have been divided into different groups of rejects, first round, second round, etc. I know I'm speculating but I am just so tired of waiting! haha!

Yes, exactly. If they are doing first round of interviews right now, I figure that someone here would have been called. Does anyone know from previous years how many rounds of interviews usually took place? 

From the results search, it seems like a lot of rejections go out around March 6th or 7th...

I'm counting on it !

I am going to look through last year's thread to see if I can find people who got into MCC without being interviewed... At work now but will report when I find out more. 

EDIT: I found this on the results board: 

• Steinhardt says that if you have not yet been interviewed, you are not under consideration.

That's from last year in the first week of March. Maybe they are running late in scheduling interviews this year? 

I would find it hard to believe that they have notified everyone who will be interviewed already and no one has reported having had one yet...

Edited by poptipogba

That's what I was thinking too. It's possible that everyone on grad café right now is in the middle of the pack. Not going to be rejected out right initially, but not going to be extended an interview unless the first group of interviews go really badly or something. I imagine will here within a week or two, but sadly it seems like not much sooner?

Sry for typos voice-dictating due to injured thumb and too tired...

That's what I was thinking too. It's possible that everyone on grad café right now is in the middle of the pack. Not going to be rejected out right initially, but not going to be extended an interview unless the first group of interviews go really badly or something. I imagine will here within a week or two, but sadly it seems like not much sooner?

Sry for typos voice-dictating due to injured thumb and too tired...

I am hoping we all get some positive news soon!

That makes sense. Do we know how many people are admitted to the program usually? I know like 200 apply...

Typically 6 are admitted.

Hello, I'm a Bachelors in Engineering - Instrumentation applying to Masters in Media studies/ Communications 2016! Can someone give me some insight ? Is there anyone who's changed fields here? Should I opt for more interdisciplinary programs ? I know what exactly I want to study/research on but I don't know what choices to make ! HELP HELP ! Panicking majorly !

Hello, I'm a Bachelors in Engineering - Instrumentation applying to Masters in Media studies/ Communications 2016! Can someone give me some insight ? Is there anyone who's changed fields here? Should I opt for more interdisciplinary programs ? I know what exactly I want to study/research on but I don't know what choices to make ! HELP HELP ! Panicking majorly !

What do you want to study? There are a fair few schools who do tech oriented communication. Seems as if it'd be a good fit for you. 

My master's is in emergency management and it wasn't terribly difficult to transition to a program in communication. What do you want to study? 

Does anyone know anything about Pitt media and culture? I contacted my POI and he basically just said he had no clue and to contact the GPD, which I haven't done yet.

What about Pitt media and culture in particular are you looking to learn more about? (first year pitt phd student here)

I want to study subjects like International Communication, New media, Visual communication and Effects of Interactive and online media, etc. What can I do to better my chances to get an admit ?

Not post bomb a random thread in favor of your future apps. 

Oh, saying "please" might also go a long way... 

Good luck!

Not post bomb a random thread in favor of your future apps. 

Oh, saying "please" might also go a long way... 

Good luck!

Soorrryyy!!! that happened by mistake :( 

Don't worry Lilly2223! This forum was created for those seeking advice on the various aspects of grad school. Just so your questions don't get lost in the mix of this thread (applications for the 2015 cycle), you might want to start a new topic under the Communication forum. That way, you won't get lost in the mix of all of us who are anxiously awaiting admissions and funding decisions! All of us are happy to help and share our wisdom! Best of luck!