Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Exactly. At some point, you're going to decide between two (or three or four...) great options. There isn't a wrong answer, and you'll never know what the other choice would have led to. I have no idea what I'm going to do right now, but I know that whatever I choose is going to be awesome. =)

Hermes, I would probably go with office casual, nice pants (no jeans) and a nice shirt for the visitation attire. I'd treat as though I were still trying to make a good impression...I think anyway! I might also go with my usual outfits--jeans and a silly t-shirt. I wore a suit for way too long, so I'm not always crazy about digging that out of my closet. Good luck!

Best of luck to everyone with their decisions! And CONGRATS hermes, wow!

I'm still waiting on one more school's decision...MIT's CMS committee is meeting on Tuesday of next week. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck to everyone with their decisions! And CONGRATS hermes, wow!

I'm still waiting on one more school's decision...MIT's CMS committee is meeting on Tuesday of next week. Fingers crossed!

Nice! I applied to MIT's CMS program too! How exciting! How do you know when they are meeting?

Nice! I applied to MIT's CMS program too! How exciting! How do you know when they are meeting?

I emailed Taylor about a sticky situation I'm in regarding decisions and deadlines (committing to USC early for funding purposes vs. waiting to hear back from CMS, explained in). Didn't get much feedback other than the date of the meeting itself...I expect we'll know either next week or the week after at the latest! I'm nervous! Best of luck to you, and to anyone else applying! CMS is so tough to get into but it sounds so amazing...

I looked into MIT, but their HASTS program. Aren't their PhDs time there notoriously long? HASTS was 8 years! With no MA! Idk if I could risk that, even for MIT

8 years is crazy, I don't blame you at all for passing that by. The CMS program we're referring to is only a 2 year MS program.

I looked into MIT, but their HASTS program. Aren't their PhDs time there notoriously long? HASTS was 8 years! With no MA! Idk if I could risk that, even for MIT

Can I ask where you got that information?

From what I understand HASTS is the standard 5 years.

timetable here: http://web.mit.edu/hasts/graduate/academic.html

Edited by grad_wannabe

Hello Roflbot3000, 

I haven't heard anything about UNC Funding yet, just want I was told when I spoke to Dr. Blair. At this point its making me quite nervous about funding but she did say that they need to crunch some numbers because the offer funding for five years. 

We might end up being in the same cohort!!!

Hey Riddle! 

Just heard regarding fellowships--So, if that's what you're waiting on, check your inbox! Hope there's good news for you! Are you going to the Welcome Weekend?

It was last spring on their website, in one of the FAQ pages. It wasn't on the plan, it was over the average time spent by  their graduates. I'd have to search for it. It struck me as so long, I stopped looking into the school, plus the fact that they don't offer a MA during your time there. I need that option, because I've had such funding issues through my undergraduate I need the opportunity to back out with something more than just debt.

Im pretty sure it was on a page that warned about the job market, like the markets horrible blah blah blah average 8 years to complete blah blah no MA. It was enough to scare me from the site. It changed since I last looked. It had 2013's admittance numbers then, not 2014.

It was last spring on their website, in one of the FAQ pages. It wasn't on the plan, it was over the average time spent by  their graduates. I'd have to search for it. It struck me as so long, I stopped looking into the school, plus the fact that they don't offer a MA during your time there. I need that option, because I've had such funding issues through my undergraduate I need the opportunity to back out with something more than just debt.

Im pretty sure it was on a page that warned about the job market, like the markets horrible blah blah blah average 8 years to complete blah blah no MA. It was enough to scare me from the site. It changed since I last looked. It had 2013's admittance numbers then, not 2014.

Oh, okay interesting! I didn't know about that. 

Looks like my rejection from that program might be a blessing in disguise!

Oh, okay interesting! I didn't know about that. 

Looks like my rejection from that program might be a blessing in disguise!

if i could, i would totally go, but they accept so few. only 70 something graduates since they opened the program! and last year the pool was higher. but they've had so many great people come out of that campus. there's a graduate of the HASTS program that works in the Comp Info department at Bloomington, and that's prob the closest I'll get to it. and, if your in any Media and STEM related research from the social science side, MIT is a research hot spot! but, it just wasn't realistic for me to aim for.

if i could, i would totally go, but they accept so few. only 70 something graduates since they opened the program! and last year the pool was higher. but they've had so many great people come out of that campus. there's a graduate of the HASTS program that works in the Comp Info department at Bloomington, and that's prob the closest I'll get to it. and, if your in any Media and STEM related research from the social science side, MIT is a research hot spot! but, it just wasn't realistic for me to aim for.

a very cool program indeed! there's always post-docs.  :)

Edited by grad_wannabe

Hey Riddle! 

Just heard regarding fellowships--So, if that's what you're waiting on, check your inbox! Hope there's good news for you! Are you going to the Welcome Weekend?

Hey Roflbot, 

I just checked my inbox, still haven't heard anything regarding funding. Hopefully sometime today I will get something. Hoping to hear good news, that just the final piece of the puzzle I am waiting for.  Did they send it via email?

I will be attending Welcome Week. Are you? 

Hey y'all. So I'm meeting with a department in a week or so and I'm really nervous. I'm supposed to be meeting a mixture of grad students and professors. Do you guys have any suggestions for questions I should ask? I'm so afraid they're going to ask me if I have any questions about the program and I'm going to come up blank and just generally look stupid. It's not an interview, just a meet-and-greet, but I still feel like I'm being evaluated. Any help/words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Hey y'all. So I'm meeting with a department in a week or so and I'm really nervous. I'm supposed to be meeting a mixture of grad students and professors. Do you guys have any suggestions for questions I should ask? I'm so afraid they're going to ask me if I have any questions about the program and I'm going to come up blank and just generally look stupid. It's not an interview, just a meet-and-greet, but I still feel like I'm being evaluated. Any help/words of wisdom would be appreciated!

A lot of the questions you might ask are context dependent. Have you already been admitted to the program and offered funding? 

Edited by OnwardUpward

A lot of the questions you might ask are context dependent. Have you already been admitted to the program and offered funding? 

Yes! I've been admitted, have full funding and a teaching assistantship offer. They were very thorough in their offer so I don't have any questions about their program timeline, how long they'll fund me, or anything like that. Right now I'm thinking I'll ask the grad students that are TAs about their experience and about their research interests, but that's all I have right now.

Yes! I've been admitted, have full funding and a teaching assistantship offer. They were very thorough in their offer so I don't have any questions about their program timeline, how long they'll fund me, or anything like that. Right now I'm thinking I'll ask the grad students that are TAs about their experience and about their research interests, but that's all I have right now.

The most important question to ask (which is also the most difficult) is what are the politics in the department?  Make sure and also ask what the direction of the department is.  Also ask about recent placement records.  

juju you can't just leave us HANGING like that!!! haha

Lol!

I am having some really WEIRD reactions to having decided!!!

I think a lot of it is early signs of impostor syndrome...

But also sheer disbelief that this is how things turned out, and this is what we're actually doing... because it seemed the most impossible and out of reach...

And protecting myself from disappointment ... like going on to accept the offer and then realizing I read it wrong, that I'm actually waitlisted or the money is conditional or or or I don't know what... or if I say that this is where I'm going then the whole application season and rounds are over.... and I almost can't come to grips with that!!!

I feel like I'm going crazy!

I'm going to UCSB!!!!!!!!! To learn French and Classical Chinese and become a Religious Studies Fellow.....! This whole time I truly believed we'd end up at Boulder or UNM and I'd do Comm (and I guess I might still at UCSB since they're so interdisciplinary).

It's ironic because you guys are my gradcafe family! I've only made a handful of posts in the Religious Studies threads ... haha! 

I can't believe it!!!! Maybe posting it will help make it feel real!!!