Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I took the GRE yesterday and improved my "decent" score by 13 points!  Couldn't be more elated.  Just hope my essay score doesn't drop.  But I'll very thankfully take it.  

Only sad part is that I get this score after already sending my app to USC.  

Congrats, Pedanticist! I'd go ahead and send your new scores to USC anyhow. 

How were you studying?

Honestly, I didn't.  I knew that my previous scores were lower then what I was capable of and hoped that my newer ones would better represent my abilities.  

This forum has been helpful to me, so I thought I'd check in and share my data point with everybody. Have an MA, applying for PHD. Interested in mass comm/political comm, mainly from a quant angle.

Stats:

Ugrad GPA: Real bad

MA GPA: 3.9x

GRE: have a 169v/156q/4.5 from 3 years ago. Retaking on Thursday to push up the quant score. My impression is that schools don't care much about the writing score.

3 pubs, 2 first-author

3 NCA papers (1 in scholar to scholar, not sure if the distinction matters)

Applying to: Penn, Ohio State, Illinois, Washington for sure, maybe Temple, Missouri, Michigan and Wisconsin.

I gave American my email address and they've since sent me a dozen University of Phoenix-esque marketing emails.

This forum has been helpful to me, so I thought I'd check in and share my data point with everybody. Have an MA, applying for PHD. Interested in mass comm/political comm, mainly from a quant angle.

Stats:

Ugrad GPA: Real bad

MA GPA: 3.9x

GRE: have a 169v/156q/4.5 from 3 years ago. Retaking on Thursday to push up the quant score. My impression is that schools don't care much about the writing score.

3 pubs, 2 first-author

3 NCA papers (1 in scholar to scholar, not sure if the distinction matters)

Applying to: Penn, Ohio State, Illinois, Washington for sure, maybe Temple, Missouri, Michigan and Wisconsin.

I gave American my email address and they've since sent me a dozen University of Phoenix-esque marketing emails.

I have a feeling you're going to have a fun set of choices come decision-time. Let me know if you have any questions about OSU! I applied to all on your "for sure" list last cycle.

Seeking advice on my GRE scores: 

In early 2012 and got 169v/156q/4.5.

I decided to retake to bump the quant score this fall and got 167v/164q.

GRE allows you to send either ALL your scores or only the most recent to schools. My question is, do you think I'm better off sending both sets and hoping the focus on the high-high, or should I just send the most recent and sacrifice the 2 points on verbal?

I would probably just send the most recent. It's still a good score and once you hit that range unless the program is like USC and trying to weed people out for even the smallest reasons it should meet the requirement.

5 apps due next week, none finished yet and a full time job.

Lord help me

This makes me feel better -- I'm in the same boat! Somehow it'll all get done, or at least that's what I'm telling myself...

I made it a point to submit applications early because I knew there would be hiccups, miscommunications, procrastination on part of Letter writers. I was right.. on all accounts. My apps may not be perfect but they are submitted and finalized. It has been a hellish 2-3 months...

I'm still working on statements.

One is just needing tweaking, the other is a work in progress... having the same issue about broadness and specificity. I think my first draft was wayyyy too specific, because I'm entering at the MA level (even though I'm all geared up for the PhD).

Yep.  Still got 7 left to finish for Dec. 1.  I'm planning on a few all nighters.  

Anyone got to NCA?  If so, did anyone have good conversations with adcomms?

1) I am in the same boat as you. 2 for Dec 1 and 6 for Dec 15 but I should really get all of them done this week. I won't but I should.

2) I went to NCA. I spoke to USC's director of the doctoral program. He said they intended to get decisions out earlier because, apparently, USC requires them to submit a list of the students they plan to admit by Jan 30, which is a stretch for them. However, they have not started looking at them and probably will not notify any earlier.

Like many of you, I am still working on my SOP for each school. I've written the basic parts that will be in all of them, but I'm working on addressing specifics about each school. I'm struggling with the length requirements (that is a LOT to cover in a page). I am also struggling with specificity. 

Is anyone interested in coordinating a peer review thing for the comm SOPs? Let me know.

Also, I made a terrible decision to write a new writing sample that is better tailored to the kind of research I am proposing. I think it's a really solid idea and I've done all the research and outlining. With NCA, a full-time job, a class to teach, and freelance work to do, I have not, unfortunately, started writing yet. Luckily, I have a backup sample.

It's going to be an ugly weekend. 

Do any of your applications list an optional writing sample? 

I have three applications due on Dec 1, and I'm wondering whether to skip honing a writing sample if it's optional. I'd rather spend time working on my statements....