Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Less than a week left! Anyone still deciding?

Waiting, really. I want to accept my RPI offer since the school has blown me away. However, funding is an issue. The place is expensive. They apparently only had one assistantship to offer, and it went to someone else. Fortunately, it went to someone that the grad direct suspect will decline the offer, which means it comes to me. I was also told that they would attempt to make room for me in their budget if this didn't happen, which is nice (I can tell they want me). But, right now I'm just waiting. Obviously everything will happen before the 15th, but I just want to know.

If it all falls apart, which it shouldn't, I'm just going to accept my Duquesne offer. 

Waiting, really. I want to accept my RPI offer since the school has blown me away. However, funding is an issue. The place is expensive. They apparently only had one assistantship to offer, and it went to someone else. Fortunately, it went to someone that the grad direct suspect will decline the offer, which means it comes to me. I was also told that they would attempt to make room for me in their budget if this didn't happen, which is nice (I can tell they want me). But, right now I'm just waiting. Obviously everything will happen before the 15th, but I just want to know.

If it all falls apart, which it shouldn't, I'm just going to accept my Duquesne offer.

Oh, nice! That sounds promising. RPI seems like a really cool place -- what did you like about it during your visit?

Oh, nice! That sounds promising. RPI seems like a really cool place -- what did you like about it during your visit?

Just got word that my official funding offer is coming today. SO RELIEVED. 8 months of waiting are over, and I finally get to be back in school again ahhh.

I liked the department in general. It's super interdisciplinary, with faculty coming in from a variety of different fields. While it's not a huge rhetorical theory place, the rhetoric faculty that are there mesh with my interests almost perfectly. I also think it's a good idea to force myself  to orient my work towards tech based stuff and play up the tech school background I accidentally will have (Georgia College, Texas Tech, and RPI). I imagine that will help me loads in the job hunt. All of that, along with the realization that they pursued me very hard, makes the place quite appealing.

In the  end though I'm just happy that it's dooonneeee. Time for this kid from the south to freeze his butt up north.  

Edited by cadamczy

Just got word that my official funding offer is coming today. SO RELIEVED. 8 months of waiting are over, and I finally get to be back in school again ahhh.

I liked the department in general. It's super interdisciplinary, with faculty coming in from a variety of different fields. While it's not a huge rhetorical theory place, the rhetoric faculty that are there mesh with my interests almost perfectly. I also think it's a good idea to force myself  to orient my work towards tech based stuff and play up the tech school background I accidentally will have (Georgia College, Texas Tech, and no RPI). I imagine that will help me loads in the job hunt. All of that, along with the realization that they pursued me very hard, makes the place quite appealing.

In the  end though I'm just happy that it's dooonneeee. Time for this kid from the south to freeze his butt up north.  

Congratulations :) Hope it's a great offer

I liked the department in general. It's super interdisciplinary, with faculty coming in from a variety of different fields. While it's not a huge rhetorical theory place, the rhetoric faculty that are there mesh with my interests almost perfectly. I also think it's a good idea to force myself  to orient my work towards tech based stuff and play up the tech school background I accidentally will have (Georgia College, Texas Tech, and no RPI). I imagine that will help me loads in the job hunt. All of that, along with the realization that they pursued me very hard, makes the place quite appealing.

Congrats!! I may be going somewhere really cold for a lot of the same reasons. 

Congrats!! I may be going somewhere really cold for a lot of the same reasons. 

Nice! where to? 

Congratulations :) Hope it's a great offer

Thanks! It's actually the best offer of anywhere.Four full years and the biggest stipend I've ever heard of. I'm happy. 

Thanks for of the help and support from everyone on here! I hope you all do great things. 

Hey, I'm also waitlisted at NYU, and nope, no news at all. I think people do get in off the list. Do you have offers from elsewhere?

Hi!

Anyone waitlisted in NYU MCC PhD? 

Have you heard any news? 

I'm waiting for their news so I can make my final decision. Do you think is too optimistic considering them as an option at this point?

I'm so anxious I can't even sleep well :(

Hey, I have also been wait-listed for the NYU MCC Phd and after writing lots of emails, I learnt that chances don't seem to be very high. They interviewed 10 students and admitted 6. In any case of the 6 students declines the offer (which they say does not seem to be very likely as nearly all of them have accepted the offer) the spot will first be given to one of the other 4 interviewed candidates. Only in case nobody of these wants the spot will they start looking at the 'other' waitlist and select a candidate from there. I have no idea how they make that decision and how many people are waitlisted in total, but in any case, chances of that happening seem slim.... I wish I had better news but hope it helps some of you with your decisions, and please let me know in case you learn anything new/different! 

Hey, I have also been wait-listed for the NYU MCC Phd and after writing lots of emails, I learnt that chances don't seem to be very high. They interviewed 10 students and admitted 6. In any case of the 6 students declines the offer (which they say does not seem to be very likely as nearly all of them have accepted the offer) the spot will first be given to one of the other 4 interviewed candidates. Only in case nobody of these wants the spot will they start looking at the 'other' waitlist and select a candidate from there. I have no idea how they make that decision and how many people are waitlisted in total, but in any case, chances of that happening seem slim.... I wish I had better news but hope it helps some of you with your decisions, and please let me know in case you learn anything new/different! 

Hey, I'm also waitlisted at NYU, and nope, no news at all. I think people do get in off the list. Do you have offers from elsewhere?

Hey, they recently told me that I'm accepted! :) I still cannot believe it!

I hope this information is useful for you to make your decisions!

Hey, they recently told me that I'm accepted! :) I still cannot believe it!

I hope this information is useful for you to make your decisions!

Hey LinaLuna, wow that's amazing. Congratulations! So there seems to be movement from the waitlist after all. Which waitlist were you on? The normal one or did you have an interview before? And did they just suddenly contact you or were you in touch with some of the faculty before? Just asking so that I know how to best go about increasing my chances... Thanks! 

Did anyone apply and get into it interview for northwestern?

I'm in the approval process for calumet, but I think northwestern will be one of my top for PhD apps in a year, I'd like some pointers.

Congrats on everyone making their decisions!

I just got accepted to a school this morning... 9 days after the agreed upon deadline.

I know schools don't HAVE to follow the deadline but way to throw a wrench in the works after I've already accepted another offer. 

It's generally really frowned upon to change your acceptance. I know that. And I know it's a small subfield. But it's a much better regarded program in my field...

I just got accepted to a school this morning... 9 days after the agreed upon deadline.

I know schools don't HAVE to follow the deadline but way to throw a wrench in the works after I've already accepted another offer. 

It's generally really frowned upon to change your acceptance. I know that. And I know it's a small subfield. But it's a much better regarded program in my field...

OMG. Well, congrats!! It's frowned upon, but if Gradcafe is any indication, it certainly happens. Are you thinking about accepting?

Thank you!

Yes and no.

Logically, no, I mean I already accepted another offer, registered for classes, signed a lease, etc. 

Ideally, yes, because I imagine it would positively impact my education and improve my chances of getting a TT job later. 

Oh no! So frustrating!

Do what's best for you, Autumn. Sure it might ruffle a couple feathers, but any reasonable person would understand. The last thing you want is to regret not taking the offer that was right for you and your career.

Do what's best for you, Autumn. Sure it might ruffle a couple feathers, but any reasonable person would understand. The last thing you want is to regret not taking the offer that was right for you and your career.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I definitely agree with this too.

Re:housing, we found a place, but man is money gonna be tight for our family for quite a while. At least we'll have a roof over our heads, and 15 min drive from the beach :) ...and steps from the farmer's market!

Re:housing, we found a place, but man is money gonna be tight for our family for quite a while. At least we'll have a roof over our heads, and 15 min drive from the beach :) ...and steps from the farmer's market!

Nice! I'm glad :)

PS. Is anyone here attending (currently or soon-to-be) UT Austin, preferably RTF?

Does anyone know any collectives, listservs or associations that are welcoming to graduate students? Not just that they accept them, but are very welcoming to new, inexperienced members. I've run into a lot that give a very elitist vibe. I don't want to feel excluded, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

A lot of NCA divisions are on Facebook. The ones I have joined have been very inclusive (Activism & Social Justice & Political Communication).