Low undergrad GPA, high grad GPA... at same university?

eastcoastprimate

Hi everyone - just hoping I could get some feedback on an issue that seems common on these threads (low undergrad GPA, high grad GPA) but with the caveat that my BA and MA are from the same university (top 30). I have a flat 3.0 undergrad GPA, with the really "bad" grades being in pre-med classes and not in my major department (social science). I took a year off and now have a 3.9 graduate GPA in my MA, which is at the same university (highly ranked in my field) in the same department as my undergraduate major.

I was wondering if I have a shot at top ranked phd programs in my field despite this low undergrad GPA, since the school being the same for both my degrees means the rigor was the same and what changed was me. Just to add, my GRE was 317/5.5AWA (98% W, 93%V, 64%Q). Since then I have added conference presentations, field experience, lab experience, but no publications (yet!)

I really appreciate any input anyone might have :) 

Agree with the above, and your major GPA usually matters more if your cumulative includes many classes not related to your intended program of study.

As long as you explain with good reason why your undergrad GPA was so 'low,' and make a compelling argument for match at the program you're applying to, then you should still have a competitive chance at admissions. You have a strong grad GPA so you could weave into your reason as sort of a redemption for you.

And if you're still feeling angsty, I've heard from several deans of admissions at different universities (ranked high by US News & World Report) that the top two main factors are personal statement and letters of recommendation.