I asked for a new field site now I'm being treated like a villian

bluebird999

That's why I advised her to go back to the people who's feathers were apparently rustled and smooth things over. To explain to them that jumping over them wasn't intentional, and she wasn't slighting their knowledge/ability/etc, but that she was just worried about the lack of supervision at the site and felt she had a short time to remedy the situation. 

It's amazing how much even a rather weak apology and explanation can do to smooth things over, and worry/stress/anxiety is always a good back for such an apology, in my experience. 

Being as the OP hasn't posted or logged into the site since the first night, I'm assuming they're gone and the discussion here is more general for others to use as a reference in the future. 

An apology never hurts. 

And while morally, I believe that you should only apologize if you actually think you were in the wrong.... Practically, I also support apologizing if someone else felt you were, and it doesn't hurt you to do so. 

If nothing else, you can consider it validating their feelings, and phrase your apology carefully, in accordance. You're apologizing for the fact that they were upset/put off by your actions, not because you believe they should have been. 

• 1 month later...

If you're not sincerely sorry, it will show and will make a faux apology look like sarcasm. It puts you in a worse predicament to be inauthentic. It's best to just move past things and not dwell. 

• 1 year later...

This seems to be a common theme in many programs, including my BSW program. Keep your chin up; it definitely is not you and no one seems to understand unless they go through this experience (which I have). This is an issue with admitting too many students when there aren't enough placements which is an issue created by both the Universities AND the CSWE.

I hate to say it, but I don't think it's unheard of for a social work student to get to a field placement the first day and know it's just not going to work out. Field offices then deflect any criticism, knowing they don't have enough resources or placements and honestly know very little about where they're sending students.

• 4 months later...