Transcript Question

HesseBunuel90

Hello, I am planning on applying to MA/PhD programs in English literature, as soon as next week. I have a question that has not been entirely resolved from contacting various graduate programs.

I started my undergraduate studies at a community college, before transferring to a 4 year university and obtaining my Bachelor's. Should I simply submit my Baccalaureate transcript, because it reflects the coursework from the 2 year school, or not, as the transcript does not reflect the grades from those courses? I don't want the schools to think I may have got a 2.6 or something at the community college, when in reality (coincidentally) I received the same GPA at both schools (3.86).

I have received mixed messages regarding what I should do in this case-

Thank you.

Okay, it's just that some schools (although probably not ones I'm applying to, unless I score extremely high on the Subject Test) indicate that community college transcripts aren't necessary. Yet others, such as NYU, evaded the question when I emailed them, and the admissions at Emory said "it's up to the applicant whether they want to upload one transcript or two." Like I said, I have received mixed messages.

Okay, it's just that some schools (although probably not ones I'm applying to, unless I score extremely high on the Subject Test) indicate that community college transcripts aren't necessary. Yet others, such as NYU, evaded the question when I emailed them, and the admissions at Emory said "it's up to the applicant whether they want to upload one transcript or two." Like I said, I have received mixed messages.

Oh, wow! That is weird. I would send them based on the university policy. If they don't say, send them anyway. Better to be out $5-$10 than be automatically disqualified.

I have often wondered about this.  While I am sure graduate school adcoms have seen it all I also am a firm believer that certain assumptions are made.  Typically in the U.S. a college student attends ONE university.  Okay, transferring is not unheard of so two tops for the majority.   It is also common for students to do study abroad or to take a course or two at another institution or at a community college. I would bet top dollar that this is what they mean by "all transcripts"; they want to see the transcript from the school you attended while studying abroad or from that summer Calc I course taken at the local community college over the summer because the typical undergrad might not think that they are necessary.  

Honestly, I do not believe they are thinking of the applicants who took 12 different, random, courses at 9 different community colleges over the years for "personal growth" because even though it happens, they are so far from the norm.  

I have attended four community colleges in four different states.  Only one of them is relevant to my course of study.  I am thinking of leaving the other three out this time around. 

I emailed this question to a few program directors for some of the programs I am interested in, although I phrased it in a manner that was suitable to my situation.  The information I am about to provide may not specifically apply to the OP, but others may find it useful.

Of the respondents, here is what I have gleaned, grouped by similarity:

-Technically, yes, all transcripts are required.  However, if I feel a transcript is not necessary I may chose to exclude one or more of transcripts.

If the schools are not listed in the application, the adcoms will not know I attended the school.  As such they will not need/want/require those transcripts.

Some adcoms/advisors might find having taken college courses for no other purposes than personal enrichment as being unique or of showing a wide-breadth approach to an education. 

-Despite what the website/FAQs may say, only transcripts from school where a degree was earned are required. 

-If transfer courses are listed on the transcript, transcripts from the originating schools are not necessary. 

I also contacted my top choice school with this question (I transferred and studied abroad twice) and was told that transcripts are only necessary from degree-granting schools.

My application also requires me to calculate my gpa for my major, minor and last two years.... I wonder: since I got credit for transferred classes, but the grades did not factor into my overall gpa, can I include transfer courses in my averages?  My cumulative only reflects my gpa from my graduating institution, so perhaps I should follow the same formula for my major and minor?