Women's Studies - Fall 2015

Guillaume

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm applying for Women's Studies, too! Mostly to PhD programs. And ... I got my first rejection today, from University of Maryland. Sort of shocked that the decision came so quickly... :(

The letter came from the Dean of Graduate Studies and said "Based on our requirements for graduate admission, we are unable to offer you admission to the PhD program at this time."

Sort of makes it sound like I didn't meet the minimum requirements, but my stats are pretty good (3.75 undergrad GPA from a top 50 school, GRE 330 (V168, Q162, AWA 4.5) 4.0 master's GPA. So, I'm guessing that's just the generic rejection letter?

Anyway, who else is applying this year??

Edited by janaca

Waiting is the worst. 

Hi *waves* 

Been avoiding posting in here because it's mostly anxiety inducing. 

Pero, I'm applying to 8 WGS programs - 2 of which are MAs. 

WAITING WAITING WAITING -- and stalking the results listings. 

Hello all!

I applied to 8 PhD programs. 2 American Studies programs, and 6 Gender Studies programs.

I received my 1st rejection today from Ohio State University. I seriously thought this was my safety school but I guess to show everyone that there is no such thing as a "safety" school. 

To the person who received the rejection above, it most likely was not a "good fit" for you. Sometimes faculty members whom you mention are going on leave or will be leaving the university and there will be no one left to work with you.

Hope this helps=). Let's all keep hopeful =)!

Edited by FeministCorgi

I got an email from Rutgers saying that they were impressed by my application, and do I have potential to self-fund? I'm glad that they were impressed, but this makes me feel like I won't be accepted if I don't win the external funding I applied to. I could be reading too much into it, though...

Hi Loreali_Gilmore, 

I had a friend last year receive a similar e-mail about the self-funding. She replied no and was ultimately rejected because she did not win the graduate nor the diversity fellowship. Sadly, if they cannot fully fund you in your 1st year (years 2-4 are covered by TAships mostly) then they most likely won't take you =(. It is horrible news. What other programs are you applying to?

Also, to anyone else, I called U-Minnesota today and they said they already sent out a wave of acceptances and list of alternatives. This makes me sad as my application status has not even changed yet.

Edited by FeministCorgi

Thanks for the reply, FeministCorgi. I'm hoping that I'll win a SSHRC doctoral award (I've made it to the final round), which would mean I could self-fund. If not, siiiigh. Such a shame.

I also applied to Maryland, York and U of Toronto. I'm from Ontario,  hence the latter two.

Thank you for the encouraging words, FeministCorgi! Yeah, I feel like I cast my net sort of widely with these applications, so it's likely that a number of my schools just won't be a good fit. Oh well. 

I applying to the following PhD programs: Maryland - CP, Minnesota, Rutgers, UC Santa Barbara, Emory, UC Santa Cruz, and University of Michigan.

No word from anyone except for Maryland, yet. Trying to stay optimistic....

I feel you Janaca, no worries. I am trying to stay optimistic as well. I have 7 more and you have 6. I am sure one of the programs will take us ^_^!!

Has your status on Minnesota's application change from awaiting program decision? Minnesota was my top choice but when I called on Friday, the front desk said admissions decisions were made and that people were invited. Seems odd as the forums from past years state Jan 10-26 for results (I'm hoping the person at the front desk was just a work study who did not know anything. Too optimistic? 

Emory's WGSS e-mailed prior to the new year with news of announcing interviews around the 13-14th and interview week will occur the 5-8th of Feb (no one will be offered an admissions spot if they cannot attend this weekend if invited). So we'll hear back from Emory soon!

Yes, FeministCorgi, all it takes is one admit, and we've got plenty of programs yet to hear back from. So, I'm sure we'll be fine! :)

Hm my Minnesota status also says "Awaiting Program Decision," so that has me a little worried, too. I mean, it does makes sense to me that they might have contacted first-round admits at this point, since I saw an acceptance in the results area about a week ago. However, it sort of seems like a lot of programs at Minnesota do acceptances in a couple of different waves. Also, I highly doubt they would have notified alternates yet, because most programs wait a bit to do that, even after they have made their alternate list. So I wouldn't give up hope just yet....

Ugh, yeah, and I am so nervous about the impending Emory interview invites. I feel like Emory is a good fit for me, so if I don't get invited, I'll be sad. At least we will know soon, though. Either way, I guess it will be sort of a relief!! 

I wanted to share a part what Ohio State's rejection said about me (I was like so confused. I have 2 publications, 2 conference attendances, coordinator of service projects for 100+ people, and working on an honors thesis as an undergrad).

"The committee's decision was reached after careful evaluation of your qualifications in comparison with those of other applicants and is in no way intended to reflect upon your ability to undertake study as a graduate student."

Like what the heck is that? Is it saying I am under-qualified or is it really just saying that I was not a good fit with the program?

Also, week of Emory interviews. THE NERVES =(.

I wanted to share a part what Ohio State's rejection said about me (I was like so confused. I have 2 publications, 2 conference attendances, coordinator of service projects for 100+ people, and working on an honors thesis as an undergrad).

"The committee's decision was reached after careful evaluation of your qualifications in comparison with those of other applicants and is in no way intended to reflect upon your ability to undertake study as a graduate student."

Like what the heck is that? Is it saying I am under-qualified or is it really just saying that I was not a good fit with the program?

Also, week of Emory interviews. THE NERVES =(.

I'd say 100% fit...you're ABSOLUTELY more than qualified for Ohio State (and Emory, for that matter). A reader for my thesis is familiar with both programs, and I was a Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major in UG, and she said these programs were super competitive/major crapshoots and steered me towards English/Comparative Lit instead as I was preparing junior year. xx

I'd say 100% fit...you're ABSOLUTELY more than qualified for Ohio State (and Emory, for that matter). A reader for my thesis is familiar with both programs, and I was a Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major in UG, and she said these programs were super competitive/major crapshoots and steered me towards English/Comparative Lit instead as I was preparing junior year. xx

Ugh, you made me feel 1000% better about myself for sure. 

Good luck on your applications as well! 

Ugh, you made me feel 1000% better about myself for sure. 

Good luck on your applications as well! 

What are comrades for? Lol thank you so much! Same to you!

FeministCorgi, I second that the rejection letter from Ohio State is a pretty decent one, as far as rejections go, and that it sounds like you're more than qualified. :)

Haha and your letter sounds much nicer than the one I got from Maryland, copied in its entirety here: 

"Dear Student:

Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland’s Graduate School. Based on our requirements for graduate admission, we are unable to offer you admission to the Ph.D. program for Women's Studies (WMST) at this time.

We wish you well in your career endeavors. If we can be of further assistance to you, please let us know." (sic)

I was seriously DISTRAUGHT for like a week, because of the harsh wording and kept wondering if I'd inadvertently done something weird to get myself disqualified. (I did single-space my writing sample to get it down to ten pages, so I suppose I COULD have been disqualified for that???) Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the wording of these letters, I guess.

Edited by anotherapplicantanotherapp

On 1/12/2015 at 10:28 AM, anotherapplicantanotherapp said:

FeministCorgi, I second that the rejection letter from Ohio State is a pretty decent one, as far as rejections go, and that it sounds like you're more than qualified. :)

Haha and your letter sounds much nicer than the one I got from Maryland, copied in its entirety here: 

"Dear Student:

Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland’s Graduate School. Based on our requirements for graduate admission, we are unable to offer you admission to the Ph.D. program for Women's Studies (WMST) at this time.

We wish you well in your career endeavors. If we can be of further assistance to you, please let us know." (sic)

I was seriously DISTRAUGHT for like a week, because of the harsh wording and kept wondering if I'd inadvertently done something weird to get myself disqualified. (I did single-space my writing sample to get it down to ten pages, so I suppose I COULD have been disqualified for that???) Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the wording of these letters, I guess.

Oh my. Well, I know my thesis advisor told me they sometimes just weed out applications that don't seem like a good fit or did not conform to certain rules they had (I know USC ASE program actually put GRE cutoffs for the first time this year).

I applied to Maryland's American Studies instead of Women's Studies program because the funding was a little better there and there were faculty in both departments for me. Your letter just seems like they could not fund you or it just wasn't a good fit, especially since you received it this soon. The "Based on the requirements" sounds like a filler almost every school uses. It is actually really discouraging... but eh...

From previous years, it seems that Minnesota and Emory respond the earliest with acceptances. 

Hi all :) 

Did anyone get a call with an interview offer from Emory? They said they were supposed to call yesterday or today, but maybe they're just a bit late…is there still hope?

Hi all :)

Did anyone get a call with an interview offer from Emory? They said they were supposed to call yesterday or today, but maybe they're just a bit late…is there still hope?

Glad someone posted this. Yeah, they said around the 13/14 but they also said they are going to deliberate during the week of the 12th. They will probably call by thurs/friday (even monday is a possibility). I think once we start seeing interviews on the results page or here, we can presume who got called and who did not.  :wacko:

Glad someone posted this. Yeah, they said around the 13/14 but they also said they are going to deliberate during the week of the 12th. They will probably call by thurs/friday (even monday is a possibility). I think once we start seeing interviews on the results page or here, we can presume who got called and who did not. :wacko:

Oh god, I have been glued to my phone this week. I'm glad no one else has gotten a call, I suppose. Good luck to everyone else hoping for an interview with Emory right now!