tell me more about these

These universities are well reputable actually, and are major universities. I am just clearing this up so that others are not misinformed.

I did my undergrad at Brock as well.  I agree with you.  Brock is a major university.  People take some schools for granted.  Only if they knew how hard you have to work at Brock to earn your grades, thus i am still in this situation of trying to get accepted into a master program due to low GPA. lol

I did my undergrad at Brock as well.  I agree with you.  Brock is a major university.  People take some schools for granted.  Only if they knew how hard you have to work at Brock to earn your grades, thus i am still in this situation of trying to get accepted into a master program due to low GPA. lol

I was in the same situation. Bigger universities do not always = harder! 

We are in the same boat! What year did you graduate? Lol. I went to Brock specifically for it's program & how it prepped its undergrad students for SLP/Audi in masters hehe.

We are in the same boat! What year did you graduate? Lol. I went to Brock specifically for it's program & how it prepped its undergrad students for SLP/Audi in masters hehe.

I graduated a long time ago 2007.  I am old, and i need to get this done.

I graduated from Brock in 2010, so not THAT much behind ya!

I hear you.  I feels like it would have been easier to major in something easy then take the required prerequisites.  A friend of mine majored in English and applied and now she is an SLP.  I on the other hand switched my major from English to Speech thinking that it will be easier for me to get in plus easier to understand the concept in grad school, and i guess i was wrong.  But really all they care about is grades and not even the fact that you already have the most of the background information.  I know other people who majored in different things with higher GPAs that got accepted and are now SLP's.

I hear you.  I feels like it would have been easier to major in something easy then take the required prerequisites.  A friend of mine majored in English and applied and now she is an SLP.  I on the other hand switched my major from English to Speech thinking that it will be easier for me to get in plus easier to understand the concept in grad school, and i guess i was wrong.  But really all they care about is grades and not even the fact that you already have the most of the background information.  I know other people who majored in different things with higher GPAs that got accepted and are now SLP's.

I couldn't get into SLP so i'm now doing my backup plan which I absolutely love. I can honestly say Brock has a very hard curriculum. I took a course there with a horrible professor, don't want to say names but let's just say her class focused mostly on the brain and it was absolutely horrible! That grade alone ruined my chances for Grad school in SLP. Just hang in there, if SLP is what you really want to do then don't give up. But if it doesn't pan out, there are tons of other fields especially in health care you can try shooting for? 

I couldn't get into SLP so i'm now doing my backup plan which I absolutely love. I can honestly say Brock has a very hard curriculum. I took a course there with a horrible professor, don't want to say names but let's just say her class focused mostly on the brain and it was absolutely horrible! That grade alone ruined my chances for Grad school in SLP. Just hang in there, if SLP is what you really want to do then don't give up. But if it doesn't pan out, there are tons of other fields especially in health care you can try shooting for? 

I know who you are talking about.  She wasn't there when i took that course, however, i have met her and heard the same thing about her lol.  Yeah, i am going to apply to another masters program as a backup.  What program are you doing your backup in if you don't mind me asking.

awesome thanks thats funny, cause just yesterday i was like oh new zealand... :0

if i wanna email the schools, i'll ask them about international students, is there anything else i can ask? i kinda wanna ask what theyre focused on.. but i am not sure how to go about doing that... it seems so weird asking them any of that stuff...

Just a warning, it might reflect bad if you ask what they focus on considering the information is usually listed on their website. I'd research the schools more and see if they either have (1) concentrations for students to specialize in, (2) have a special population in their clinic (ie. many with Autism or brain injury, etc), as well as look up the faculty and what they research... sometimes the school will either list classes under 'curriculum' on their site, or you'll have to find their Master's Handbook which will list your courses and possible clinic placements, which can also give you insight if they have more of a medical vs educational focus and what populations there might be a high prevalence of in the area.

You can also use this information in your essay to stand out, as they like knowing people actually looked up the program and know more information than the basics as it shows you really are interested. For example, I'm interested in the medical side so I mentioned that I saw X school has placements in a VA clinic, pediatric cleft clinic and a local hospital which I hoped to gain more knowledge from, as well as a class in Cleft Palate, which I only knew about from looking at the Handbook. 

Hope this didn't sound rude or anything, just saying what I've heard/read many times on this thread and from teachers on the application committee! :)

Just a warning, it might reflect bad if you ask what they focus on considering the information is usually listed on their website. I'd research the schools more and see if they either have (1) concentrations for students to specialize in, (2) have a special population in their clinic (ie. many with Autism or brain injury, etc), as well as look up the faculty and what they research... sometimes the school will either list classes under 'curriculum' on their site, or you'll have to find their Master's Handbook which will list your courses and possible clinic placements, which can also give you insight if they have more of a medical vs educational focus and what populations there might be a high prevalence of in the area.

You can also use this information in your essay to stand out, as they like knowing people actually looked up the program and know more information than the basics as it shows you really are interested. For example, I'm interested in the medical side so I mentioned that I saw X school has placements in a VA clinic, pediatric cleft clinic and a local hospital which I hoped to gain more knowledge from, as well as a class in Cleft Palate, which I only knew about from looking at the Handbook. 

Hope this didn't sound rude or anything, just saying what I've heard/read many times on this thread and from teachers on the application committee! :)

Looking at the school's curriculum helps too.  Some schools will have pages about the summer camps/programs they run for children or adults involving speech.  It's just a lot of careful searching to see if the schools have what you're interested in.  I personally have interest in schools that have on-campus clinics, so I often look for schools that have a clinic page with what they specialize in.

I know who you are talking about.  She wasn't there when i took that course, however, i have met her and heard the same thing about her lol.  Yeah, i am going to apply to another masters program as a backup.  What program are you doing your backup in if you don't mind me asking.

MPH!

not at all i'll take all the advice i can get!

Looking at the school's curriculum helps too.  Some schools will have pages about the summer camps/programs they run for children or adults involving speech.  It's just a lot of careful searching to see if the schools have what you're interested in.  I personally have interest in schools that have on-campus clinics, so I often look for schools that have a clinic page with what they specialize in.

i also have been researching schools that have a clinic on campus, mostly cause that means i wont have to travel? if i can avoid paying for gas that would be greeeaat..

i also have been researching schools that have a clinic on campus, mostly cause that means i wont have to travel? if i can avoid paying for gas that would be greeeaat..

I guess you can try to check on transportation for those schools too.  Some cities like Long Beach will have a transportation system where you can take the bus anywhere in Long Beach city for free.  Other campuses will be in cities that have sparse transportation, where having a car would be more convenient. 

I think some programs also take into account if you have a car or not so if you say you have limited transport or would like to stay close then they'll find places close by... 
If I remember correctly even though a school has a  clinic it doesn't mean you're there every sinlge semester... usually you're only there the first 2-3 then go to other places or you're there for only the first 2 semesters then all the others you spend half the time there and half the time somewhere else