Cleft palate courses and/or externships?

debster

My daughter is applying for next fall.  She has her list pretty much set, but was curious if anyone has had experience with any programs that have an emphasis or good experiences available in the area of clefts/craniofacial?  I know that many programs have an elective on this topic, but any advice on programs that offer more than that (placements in craniofacial teams, etc).  She had a cleft herself, has done volunteer work and gone on a medical mission with Operation Smile, and although she wouldn't limit her practice to this population, she'd like to continue her education in the area.

The University of Pittsburgh offers a class in it and has access to many medical centers, including a pediatric cleft-palate unit. Not many get into that placement (I'd assume it's the same for most schools since it requires lots of background knowledge)... but if she takes the course and shows interest and mentions her past experiences she might be able to get a placement there. As with most placements, if you have a specific population in mind then you have to keep voicing it to try to get it.

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if that placement would be more for the CsCD students?  I know that Vanderbilt appears to have a class and a placement with a team, and several other programs have a class, but may or may not have a placement.  Was just wondering if anyone had done one in their program and wanted to share the experience.  Pittsburgh wasn't on her list, but I'll tell her to take a look.  Thanks!

Well the CscD is only available after getting a masters. For Pitt, she would do 2 years of a Masters (which the cleft class and placement is offered too, although hard to get in... but it might be hard to get in anywhere since it needs special knowledge, which she would get in the class)... after the 2 years of a Masters the CsCD starts and lasts 3 years. Generally, if she were to take the class and express avid interest and mention her past then she should have a decent shot at getting in, especially if she does an independent study or thesis with someone who studies cleft palate (if we wants to do research that is... although independent study wouldn't be much, probably just reading papers and writing a paper at the end). 

Here are the sites for the programs:

Masters https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/macsd/    on this if you scroll down there are the handbooks which list the classes and clinical placement opportunities. One good thing about pitt (to me at least) is that there is no on-site clinic, so all the placements are in the community and many are medical

CsCD  https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/CScD/   again, there's the handbook. it says Years 3-5 because if she does it straight through from a masters (years 1 &2) then this takes an additional 3 years. They also have it so that you can do the clinical fellowship year (a mandatory externship after grad school to get your licensure) during year 3 while in the CsCD.  

Clinical doctorates are still very new and some companies aren't sure what to do with them. Most end up getting director positions, some/few universities take the clinical doctorates (SLPD and CsCD) for a professor position. 

Edited by lookwhoslp

It also looks as though in the CsCD you can choose a specialty area. She may be able to make her own with cleft palate, but if not they have faculty that specialize in swallowing and motor disorders, which are related to cleft palate issues. 

Northwestern has a fantastic (and rigorous) craniofacial course and one student per quarter can get a cleft palate placement. Doing well in the class is a requirement for getting the placement.

can you send the link to the page? all im getting is the surgery page, which i assume is not for us

Northwestern was on her list, but think she's eliminating due to what we hear about no one getting any substantial funding, and the price ticket too high.  But thanks!

Northwestern was on her list, but think she's eliminating due to what we hear about no one getting any substantial funding, and the price ticket too high.  But thanks!

Yeah, it's a pricey school. Is your daughter a member of NSSLHA (nsslha.org)? If so, she might consider paying an additional $10/year to join SIG 5, the Special Interest Group for speech science and craniofacial disorders. It would give her access to a discussion board as well as newsletters and research articles pertaining to her interests. I've been a member for two years and it's been a great way to stay on top of cleft research and treatment ideas and lurk on discussion boards run by the big names in the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!  She should look at UT-Dallas.  They have a craniofacial course, summer craniofacial camp practicum (Camp Care, which I believe most any gradstudent can get into) and are located close to many craniofacial centers.  I don't know if students can also get additional practicums with craniofacial teams but I bet with some networking, she could.  I am a non-traditional student and my interest in the field comes from my child who was born with a cleft lip/palate.  I won't be pursuing work with a craniofacial team because I want the hours that a public school placement provides, but it is certainly a place she should consider!

Hi!  She should look at UT-Dallas.  They have a craniofacial course, summer craniofacial camp practicum (Camp Care, which I believe most any gradstudent can get into) and are located close to many craniofacial centers.  I don't know if students can also get additional practicums with craniofacial teams but I bet with some networking, she could.  I am a non-traditional student and my interest in the field comes from my child who was born with a cleft lip/palate.  I won't be pursuing work with a craniofacial team because I want the hours that a public school placement provides, but it is certainly a place she should consider!

Thank You!