what's difference between Personal Statement and SOP?

Hi, I am a undergraduate in china, and I'm planning to further my education in USA.

I had found some schools require a PS, but in this forum, only sops are discussed here. Can I get any information about personal statement ?

^_^  I really spent a hard time to write a PS in English. It's really hard for Chinese.  

Do I need write my PS like a English speaker?

Hi AllenWang, 

Generally speaking a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Personal Statement are considered to be the same thing. Usually you outline your previous work/why you are applying for the program, then talk about your research goals and fit within the department (i.e., who you want to work with). 

However, most programs in the USA will require that you take all of your courses in English, and most require that International Students prove their proficiency in English in some way or other. If you are applying to a program where work in done in English, they will expect your SOP to be in English, since they expect you to be fluent. You should really ask yourself if you will be able to write and read extensively in English, as will likely be required of you in a US program. Depending on the sorts of programs you are looking at, you might have to write a thesis or dissertation that will be very lengthy and require fluency or near fluency in English. 

Hope that helps! 

Hi AllenWang, 

Generally speaking a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Personal Statement are considered to be the same thing. Usually you outline your previous work/why you are applying for the program, then talk about your research goals and fit within the department (i.e., who you want to work with). 

However, most programs in the USA will require that you take all of your courses in English, and most require that International Students prove their proficiency in English in some way or other. If you are applying to a program where work in done in English, they will expect your SOP to be in English, since they expect you to be fluent. You should really ask yourself if you will be able to write and read extensively in English, as will likely be required of you in a US program. Depending on the sorts of programs you are looking at, you might have to write a thesis or dissertation that will be very lengthy and require fluency or near fluency in English. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks your reply, it's very helpful. 

Hi AllenWang, 

Hope that helps! 

I am wondering if I can send my first draft to you, i hope you can give me some tips and comments. I really hope a Native-English speaker can help me with it