SLP D

One of my professors got his CScD at Pittsburgh and he loved the program. He said his pay scale was at a higher level at his hospital due to his doctorate. (Just above six figures).

Do you know if Pittsburgh has any specialized track or what their clinic specializes in? 

Do you know if Pittsburgh has any specialized track or what their clinic specializes in? 

I'm not sure - I just know it's a clinical doctorate so it is less research intensive (if you were to compare to a PhD).  I just started my junior year at CSUN, and so I am just starting out myself...  He made a joking comment that just because you have a PhD, it does not necessarily make you a good clinician.  I do know that it is the only program of its kind in the US.

Pitt's is slightly more medically focused since there's many hospitals in the area. I wouldn't say it's less research focused though. I believe you have to do some presentations or teach a class or something at one point. The SLPD and CsCD are still very brand new to the field so some places aren't sure what to do with them (at least if you want to go the professor/ academia route)... The SLPD is more education-setting focused while the CsCD is medically focused I believe. The professors are known, some are ASHA fellows and they know their stuff. The ones who have graduated from the CsCD do have more leadership roles in their work places now I believe, since you gain many leadership skills int eh program. I think you also do mini rotations following different types of physicians to gain more knowledge about their fields (neurology, etc). If you go to the page and download the manual it'll give you lots of info on classes, extra things and outcomes of past students I believe.

Edited by lookwhoslp

Pitt's is slightly more medically focused since there's many hospitals in the area. I wouldn't say it's less research focused though. I believe you have to do some presentations or teach a class or something at one point. The SLPD and CsCD are still very brand new to the field so some places aren't sure what to do with them (at least if you want to go the professor/ academia route)... The SLPD is more education-setting focused while the CsCD is medically focused I believe. The professors are known, some are ASHA fellows and they know their stuff. The ones who have graduated from the CsCD do have more leadership roles in their work places now I believe, since you gain many leadership skills int eh program. I think you also do mini rotations following different types of physicians to gain more knowledge about their fields (neurology, etc). If you go to the page and download the manual it'll give you lots of info on classes, extra things and outcomes of past students I believe.

I would like a medically focused slpd rather than a research one. And the other reason I was looking into it is I assume it would be a pay bump

Oh, all the SLPD and CsCD are 'clinically' focused, whereas a regular PhD is research focused. But then the SLPDs are more for those in the school therapy setting (ie. elementary, middle, early intervention) whereas the CsCD is I think the only medical setting focused one. That's what I meant by that :) Although, in all of these clinically focused ones you might have to do some small research or like a independent study... but don't count me on that. I'd look at their handbooks to make sure, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to at least read some research in classes or do a independent study... but nothing like in a PhD format where thats the whole degree.

They can't guarantee a pay bump since all these degrees are relatively new, but many of the people who do them do go on to get raises or get a higher position (ie. director of rehab, etc). I know the CsCD has info on what some recent grads have done and I'm sure you can find that info in the handbooks or by asking the programs. 

Are you mostly doing it for further learning and a pay bump? If you're doing it to try to teach it might not be worth it since most schools still require the PhD and not the clinical doctorate... unless they are looking for clinic directors who might teach a general class

Are you mostly doing it for further learning and a pay bump? If you're doing it to try to teach it might not be worth it since most schools still require the PhD and not the clinical doctorate... unless they are looking for clinic directors who might teach a general class

Yeah pretty much fr pay bump. Bit as far as a read since it's a doctorate it allows for teaching and clinical practice at the same time. As stated on the Pittsburgh website

Or come teach at CSUN! That's where I am - my professor with the CsCD teaches Speech Science - he may have other classes too - not sure. But it sounds as though it is very hard to get enough SLP professors here in California.

You had me at California ;) I'm so there haha