Publishing Work

KenBesonders

I have successfully acquired research related employment that I plan to last me for some years until I apply for a Masters Degree in International Affairs. In the mean time I have theorized ways to help further bolster my application.

Overall, I am interested in Arms Control and Counter-Terrorism/Narcotics. I was thinking about trying to do research for publication purposes. I have already identified some possible journals that could fit the need for my interests. My main question pertains to those with knowledge about application processes.

How much impact does having published work have on your application? Potential "game-changer" for some admissions committees?" If you had free-time with your job and wanted to build a solid graduate school resume, would you find this fairly viable or would another solution be more attractive?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are interested in PhD's, and mention it in your SOP it will definitely help. If not, it won't hurt but you would have to make a good connection with it in your SOP. As someone with a BA, I think you will have a hard time creating sophisticated research that is publishable without the guidance of a prof. You might spend a lot of time and effort spinning your wheels. What kind of coursework did you take in undergrad that you think prepares you for this kind of project?

If you are interested in PhD's, and mention it in your SOP it will definitely help. If not, it won't hurt but you would have to make a good connection with it in your SOP. As someone with a BA, I think you will have a hard time creating sophisticated research that is publishable without the guidance of a prof. You might spend a lot of time and effort spinning your wheels. What kind of coursework did you take in undergrad that you think prepares you for this kind of project?

Well I have taken some interim classes at my university that require intensive research, structuring and analysis. Usually spent about 7-8 hours of class for a three week period for four years. Many grads from our program says the course is very akin to what you would fine to graduate school and helps provide comprehensive knowledge for large research projects. But that aside, I have spent time researching with a think tank in Europe and a law professor to which I was actively assisting in researching and analyzing works and also helping in polishing them off for publication.

I know of a few journals that actively do look at some students with a BA, granted a lot of them also have extra experience to have the knowledge and merit to publish it. I am currently working as a staff writer for a non-profit so I thought perhaps maybe spend some free time to look into it. If the benefits are not as greatly associated when applying for a MA (which I want to do for sure) than I would consider looking into to other ways to spend time that can better my application.

I would strongly recommend finding a phd in your field to supervise your work if you decide to undertake this project. Also go into it knowing that you face long odds of publication. Then again I would never dissuade anyone from researching.

What are your research interests? How are you with quantitative methods?