Fall 2015 Applicants!

That is great to hear, arthritiskid! I recently noticed that Midwestern's program just started in Fall 2013, and therefore it's not yet accredited. Is this a concern for students who attend? Or is it fairly certain that the program will achieve full accreditation? Also, is there evidence of the "newness" of the program in other respects, in terms of faculty or facilities? 

Hi onedayslp! Those are really good questions and I wondered the same thing before I decided to go to MWU. The program is cleared to be accredited but cannot have accreditation until their first class graduates. Therefore, this spring, they will be able to be accredited. They have passed all of the steps in order to be accredited. So, no worries there! There isn't a ton of evidence when it comes to a "newness," all of the faculty members have worked at other institutions and are really passionate about MWU. The facilities are amazing. We are serving in a brand new multi specialty clinic (dental, Speech therapy, family medicine). The SLP students have their own classroom in which all of the classes besides clinic classes are held in. We are also able to check out therapy materials from our classroom via an electronic check out system. It's really awesome because you can take them home and prepare for sessions and bring them back when you're finished. The faculty view themselves as mentors for the SLP students which is great because of the intense coursework. They're all really great and I'm so thankful that I was accepted to this school! I strongly recommend the program!

I have heard informally that SFSU likes UC students, but that's the only instance I've come across.

Also: I noticed you're interested in CSULA. What interests you about the program?

Proximity mostly. I'm interested in CSUF's post bacc as well. Anything in this area  :)

Hey! So I'm considering to apply to the following schools: California: Redlands, Chapman, Pacific & East Bay. New York: Mercy College. New Jersey: William Patterson.

I'm definitely applying to: New York: Hofstra andTouro. New Jersey: Kean

My question to you all is, is it true that California schools are more likely to pick an applicant within the state? Same goes with Jersey. I know you earlier stated it, but I wanted to know if it was these schools included.

Also, does anyone know anyone's experience with these schools? What the faculty is like? If not, where on this forum could I ask?

I should also mention I'm from New York & I'm recieving my bachelor's at CUNY Brooklyn.

This will be my first time around applying, I hope everyone gets in somewhere. Good luck!

Edited by SundayMatinee

Hey! So I'm considering to apply to the following schools: California: Redlands, Chapman, Pacific & East Bay. New York: Mercy College. New Jersey: William Patterson.

I'm definitely applying to: New York: Hofstra andTouro. New Jersey: Kean

My question to you all is, is it true that California schools are more likely to pick an applicant within the state? Same goes with Jersey. I know you earlier stated it, but I wanted to know if it was these schools included.

Also, does anyone know anyone's experience with these schools? What the faculty is like? If not, where on this forum could I ask?

I should also mention I'm from New York & I'm recieving my bachelor's at CUNY Brooklyn.

This will be my first time around applying, I hope everyone gets in somewhere. Good luck!

It's more like CA is more likely to choose their own undergraduates.  I'm not sure how true this is for CA private schools, but Cal States seem to prefer their own students.  I interested in Kean too!  I also want to know if Kean is biased towards their own students. 

SundayMatinee & rainsonata ....

I applied to Kean University last fall and was accepted. I was not an undergraduate or post-bacc student at Kean and I am not from NJ. I don't know if they are biased but I'm assuming they do consider take "outsiders" since I was accepted.

Feel free to message me with any questions. Good luck!

It took almost the whole day for me to put all the grades for my first degree. I wanted to go back and shake myself as a freshman. Ugh!

I completely agree! If I could just erase everything before Winter 2013 I'd have a 3.5, and sleep a lot easier :/

It took almost the whole day for me to put all the grades for my first degree. I wanted to go back and shake myself as a freshman. Ugh!

I know right! Hopefully these schools understand that people don't know what they're doing freshman year!

Anyone know how they calculate a second bachelor's? What if the second Bachelor's has not been conferred yet? So far, I only have an application into CSUN's distance-learning program. I'm looking at some CSDCAS schools as well, but those deadlines come a little later. I'm trying to stick with schools that will look more at the last sixty units and pre-req classes in CSD.

All of the schools I applied to only look at your last 60 units if that helps!  :)

So I had to postpone the GRE a little bit due to financial reasons and my first app is due Dec. 15th. One is not through CSDCAS and one is through CSDCAS, but it's a blue code (meaning it just has to be e-submitted, not that is has to be verified) and the non-CSDCAS one is for UT-Austin. If I take the GRE on November 6th, is a month enough time for the scores to be sent or should I plan on taking it in the next couple weeks? 

Edited by PorqueMoi

So I had to postpone the GRE a little bit due to financial reasons and my first app is due Dec. 15th. One is not through CSDCAS and one is through CSDCAS, but it's a blue code (meaning it just has to be e-submitted, not that is has to be verified) and the non-CSDCAS one is for UT-Austin. If I take the GRE on November 6th, is a month enough time for the scores to be sent or should I plan on taking it in the next couple weeks? 

I think your test day has good timing. I found this from ETS FAQs.

When will my official scores be reported after testing?

If you take the computer-delivered GRE revised General Test, your official scores will be available in your My GRE account and sent to the institutions you designated approximately 10–15 days after your test date.

You'd have about 3 week leeway after the 15 day designation. I strongly suggest to keep following up with ETS on your AW score. It took a month for mine to show up. I took mine in the summer so I wasn't in a rush but still made me anxious why it was delayed. I called customer support and they put it up immediately saying it was a "glitch." :huh: So be on the look out for it.

Edited by Articklish

Hey everyone,

Anyone still working on their academic resume and getting together LOR's? What rules are there to follow? Can you email a professor or set up an appointment to meet with them? and are your resumes 1 page or more?

Hey everyone,

Anyone still working on their academic resume and getting together LOR's? What rules are there to follow? Can you email a professor or set up an appointment to meet with them? and are your resumes 1 page or more?

I worked on my resume awhile back and I ended up with 2 pages because of reference and other things.  I hope schools don't limit the pages.  I was told that resumes in general should be 1-2 pages long. 

I just started my CSDCAS app today for Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.
Tomorrow I'm going to start asking professors to write LORs and maybe Thursday I'll be able to find time to start my SoP.

I started way too late on this but I have to either decide to take a year off, pick the colleges I'm going to apply to and do their prereqs, or find schools that have prerequisite programs. Edinboro is the only one I want to attend that's on the CDSCAS list that I'm aware of.
If by some miracle I get accepted there I'm going to go there. No question about it.

Has anyone submitted apps already for any of the CSUs? Does it matter when we submit the apps? I know many of the SLP/Post bac programs don't require submission until next year but I already have most of my app and and feel that I could be ready to submit soon. But I also feel like since I have so much time I should wait it out and maybe better my app. 

Thoughts?

Hey! Its usually recommended that your resume should be one page long. A CV is something more elaborate and length isnt frowned upon.

Resumes are used to glance at what you have done. Ive heard its bothersome to have to flip resumes b/c of the high application volume. Short, sweet, and to the point. :) I hope that helps!

Hi guys, does anyone know someone that has been admitted to CSULA's masters program? I'm wondering if I should bother applying. My undergrad GPA is 3.2 but my CSD classes are in progress and my last 60 units are 3.95 GPA. I have taken one year of special ed credential coursework with a 4.0 as well. Anyone know how competitive they are? 

mo~ you should apply anyways, your last 60 hrs gpa is an excellent. Most schools look at last 60 hrs gpa because that's when you take your upper division and majority of speech classes. I will not worry about undergrad gpa that much. How is your GRE and EC that will play the role too? School wants over all good candidate, not just gpa.

good luck!!!

mo~ you should apply anyways, your last 60 hrs gpa is an excellent. Most schools look at last 60 hrs gpa because that's when you take your upper division and majority of speech classes. I will not worry about undergrad gpa that much. How is your GRE and EC that will play the role too? School wants over all good candidate, not just gpa.

good luck!!!

Thank you for replying! My GRE is not great, 4.0, v 154, and q 147. 3 years experience as a Behavior therapist and one summer volunteering at a speech clinic.