Fall 2015 Applicants!

I'm having so much trouble getting reference letters. I have two and I need one more. One person I asked said he as at capacity(which I hope is the truth and not just an excuse to say no) and I'm considering asking my French professor from undergrad- is it ok to have a professor who isn't SPHR? Right now I have an audiology and an SPHR professor and I'm considering asking the professor from the lab I work at. 

@rainsonata : I was under the impression that each recommender would write one letter and send the same one to all the schools ? Or is that incorrect?

Hey, no each grad school requires different types of LR's. Some want the professor to electronically submit them, others want them in a sealed envelope with the professors signatures across the seal. From my experience all schools have different formats for the letters of rec. you can see them once you start the application process, also, it is said you should waive your rights to viewing what your professors wrote about you!

I'm having so much trouble getting reference letters. I have two and I need one more. One person I asked said he as at capacity(which I hope is the truth and not just an excuse to say no) and I'm considering asking my French professor from undergrad- is it ok to have a professor who isn't SPHR? Right now I have an audiology and an SPHR professor and I'm considering asking the professor from the lab I work at. 

I didn't have a single reference letter from an SPHR professor--I had three from professors from  undergrad (two from English, one from Poli Sci) and one from a former supervisor....and I got into grad schools without a problem. The advice I was given was to choose the professors who know you the best and who you can count on to speak the most highly of you using concrete details of your accomplishments and personal characteristics.

I hope this helps!

PS. Are you at Portland State? I did my post-bac year there last year :)

Edited by NWGirl24

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This is really a question for anyone, I just figured I would put it in this thread since I am applying for summer/fall programs. I have started submitting applications because a lot of schools say to submit applications so they can start your file and then supplemental materials after. I received an email from one of the schools I am applying to on Monday congratulating me on my acceptance. I was so confused by this email since the deadline isn't until February 1st and I haven't submitted anything but the application. Can schools take back acceptances? I don't really even know if it's an acceptance either lol. Is it normal to get accepted into a school and then into the speech program later?

are you sure you were not just accepted to the university? not the actual program? Because I know when you apply through CSU mentor you get accepted to the university which just means that you met all the qualifications to apply, and then you have to actually get accepted to the program. 

Hi Everyone!

Need some help with the previous schools attended section. I received some credits while in high school and although I am aware that I need to send those transcripts in, I'm having trouble figuring out what I should put in for "dates attended" since I didn't actually attend. Should I put the start and end of that high school semester? Or should that info be on the transcript somewhere?

Thanks!

does anyone know if you can submit applications such as Grand Valley State without submitting the supplemental information (resume and personal statement) and mailing those maybe a month or so later?

Hey, yes you can! As long as you mail in the supplemental before the deadline, you're good.

Just got back from my GREs! I wish I could have done better, but I think I did ok overall. I got (unofficially) a 161V and 150Q, so I hope that's good enough to get me into somewhere. Wish I had spent more time preparing, but oh well. I definitely don't think I have a) the time or b)the money to take it again. 

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to read my personal statement or even just a rough draft of it and give points if it sounds like something the speech departments would be interested in reading? This is my second time applying and I have been trying to come up with different ways to approach it. I think my problem last year was that I focused too much on restating what my resume was instead of explaining my personal opinion and reasons why I think the field of SLP would work for me.

Lakegirl92- I would suggest you make a new thread because lot of people won't come on this as the title is different on this.

Make a title like, Help reading my LOI/Statement? You will get lots of help.

Good Luck!!!

Hi Everyone! I just found out about this website! I am sooo excited/nervous about the application process! I have gotten my recommenders, GRE is done and now I am working on my filling up all those applications and trying to REVISE REVISE and REVISE my statement of purpose! I just want to say I hope we ALL get in!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully one day we will look back and laugh at how stressed out we are and by then we'll be in grad school! :)

Anways.....I'm nervous to start the CSDAS application! It looks complicated! anyone else?

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to read my personal statement or even just a rough draft of it and give points if it sounds like something the speech departments would be interested in reading? This is my second time applying and I have been trying to come up with different ways to approach it. I think my problem last year was that I focused too much on restating what my resume was instead of explaining my personal opinion and reasons why I think the field of SLP would work for me.

@lakegirl92 I'd be happy to give you some feedback on your statement!  I'm finishing up my first semester in SLP grad school, and was also a two-time applicant.  I know how frustrating it can be, but you'll get there!  shoot me a private message.

• 2 weeks later...

So I JUST signed up! Thank you for starting this page! I need some advice and reassurance! 

1. I am in my prerequisite program for SLP. I graduated from my undergrad with a 3.7 overall, 3.7 (last 60 as well) in Early Childhood Education

2. Played two collegiate sports

3. Gained over 300+ hours of working with students between preschool and third grade

4. Full-time employee of a VPK (pre-school)

5. Director of a developmental youth soccer program

6. Pioneered a research program in my undergraduate involving hearing impaired individuals and their social, educational, personal hurdles they face and overcome which opened up a new gate for fellow ECE undergrads at my previous institution

7. Assisted in a fine/gross motor developmental program at a gym for toddlers

MY BIG ISSUE THAT KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT... My GRE. V:149, Q:149, AW 4.5 

**Will these scores keep me out of FSU? FSU has been my dream for YEARS. Now, my future hubby works there in athletics and my sister attends in the Honors program. Does that have any bearing on admissions? 

Thank you for hearing my rant! Best of luck to ALL. 

Stats: Undergrad: Malone University, Canton, OH, Current GPA: 3.83 Pre-req program through FSU, GRE: 149v, 149q, 4.5AW

Applying: FSU (FL), UF (FL), SHU (NJ), JU (FL), UCF (FL)

Accepted: (n/a)

Denied: (n/a)

Waitlist: (n/a)

when writing the letter of intent/personal statement what are peoples thoughts about mentioning professors at the University and how you are interested in their research?

That sounds like a very good idea! Schools LOVE to know that you've taken an interest, and you're not JUST applying because it's a good school. Where are you applying?

bummer! how long ago did they get sent? CSDCAS was pretty responsive to e-mail when I had questions, and I'm sure you could call them tomorrow!

I sent them last week. The ones from my current college went out last Thursday, and the ones from my community college on Monday.

If I call CSDCAS, can they do anything? I'm considering applying to MGH, which has a verified deadline of 1/1. Since GRE is in (and I can get essays), would they put the app on the verifying list even though transcripts aren't in just yet?