Fall 2015 Applicants!

Hello! Anyone applying to CSULA? 

Their website is out of date and calling them was not very helpful. If anyone is on the same boat, please message me so we can try to figure this out together! (

Has anyone called programs to make sure your application is complete? I've been checking websites etc but with deadlines coming up fast I'm getting paranoid about my files not being complete.

Many schools have emailed me telling me that they have received my app.

Edited by Chandru1

I'm applying to University of Iowa, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, University of Pittsburgh, University of North Carolina -- Chapel Hill, University of Nebraska--Lincoln, University of North Dakota, and Minot State University. Any info on these?

It is a little embarrassing that a few of the graduate programs I'm applying to know me by name when I call. Generally speaking, the ones that do are the ones that are an organizational disaster. I have already had two transcripts get lost in transit (most likely at the grad offices) and a letter of recommendation that never arrived. 

Here's my long question: 

Has anyone else been having any issues with graduate schools who have your materials in their possession but do not update what they have on the online application? I have one school that literally has not updated a single thing they have received from me (GRE, transcripts, hard copy LOR) and my due date is January 15 for that one so I am starting to freak out. I call them weekly asking about the status of my materials and they have told me not to worry about my application materials not being posted online as "received". I find this concerning because to my understanding, if the stuff isn't complete on the application online by the application due date it wont be forwarded to the Speech Path department for review. UGH. I am going to the grad office tomorrow to drop off a third transcript since they seem to lose every transcript that is sent to them (not making a good impression).

To the person above who posted about University of North Dakota and Minot State, I am also applying there and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has further info about those programs. If anyone knows anything about University of Nebraska Omaha, University of South Dakota, St. Cloud State, or Moorhead State I would be interested in hearing about those as well. 

Thanks!

I had to do the same and personally drop a LOR off because my SOP never made it despite being mailed way before the holidays. The school allowed me to email my SOP which was then attached to my application. I do understand your frustration. You spend a lot of money for the application to be reviewed and it would be a waste of money for your application not to be reviewed on account of their error! I have seen that happen to someone in the Fall 2014 application cycle. 

It is a little embarrassing that a few of the graduate programs I'm applying to know me by name when I call. Generally speaking, the ones that do are the ones that are an organizational disaster. I have already had two transcripts get lost in transit (most likely at the grad offices) and a letter of recommendation that never arrived. 

Here's my long question: 

Has anyone else been having any issues with graduate schools who have your materials in their possession but do not update what they have on the online application? I have one school that literally has not updated a single thing they have received from me (GRE, transcripts, hard copy LOR) and my due date is January 15 for that one so I am starting to freak out. I call them weekly asking about the status of my materials and they have told me not to worry about my application materials not being posted online as "received". I find this concerning because to my understanding, if the stuff isn't complete on the application online by the application due date it wont be forwarded to the Speech Path department for review. UGH. I am going to the grad office tomorrow to drop off a third transcript since they seem to lose every transcript that is sent to them (not making a good impression).

To the person above who posted about University of North Dakota and Minot State, I am also applying there and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has further info about those programs. If anyone knows anything about University of Nebraska Omaha, University of South Dakota, St. Cloud State, or Moorhead State I would be interested in hearing about those as well. 

Thanks!

I had to do the same and personally drop a LOR off because my SOP never made it despite being mailed way before the holidays. The school allowed me to email my SOP which was then attached to my application. I do understand your frustration. You spend a lot of money for the application to be reviewed and it would be a waste of money for your application not to be reviewed on account of their error! I have seen that happen to someone in the Fall 2014 application cycle. 

Yep, this graduate program has had all of my materials in their possession since the end of November and has still failed to update it online. It isn't surprising that this is the same one that loses my transcripts every time too. I sure hope my application wont be thrown out because of their disorganization. I am going to keep on them every day now until the 15th. 

This process sure makes you appreciate the grad offices that are proactive and organized. If it weren't for them I would have lost all of my sanity by now.

Im applying to 8, but I've only submitted 7 so far. I'm waiting to go to Jacksonville's open house so I can adjust my SOP (it's a new program and they don't have a lot of info online).

I'm really nervous. Sometimes I'm really optimistic, but most of the time I'm not  :unsure: . 

@timberlake I feel the same way! This is my second time applying. I applied to 8 schools last year. I think I'm a better candidate this year due to my better GRE scores and better SOP. I'm hoping I did enough research with the schools I am applying to. Last year I applied to schools I probably didn't have a good shot of getting into. Crossing my fingers I'll get in this year!

This is also my second year applying. I'm limited due to financial and job reasons. I have a slightly better GRE score and better SOP. I also obtained another LOR.I hope to get in this year too!

Edited by Arcanelady27

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat; second time around, better GRE score, hopefully better schools that will actually accept me. I'm applying to 10-11 I think. Depends on my sanity the next few weeks because I have so many essays to finish. So ready to just have it all done and then deal with the nerve-wracking wait.

@onedayslp and @lakegirl92....This is my second year applying and I thought this year would be different. Even though I KNOW it's not nearly time to be hearing back from schools, I'm still constantly checking my emails and the forums...my advice is to keep yourself busy for the next couple of months :-)

I'm DONE!

Just finished my last one.

Now I'm going to try not to think about how I spent my whole break on applications, only to get done the Friday before classes start up again.

I'm also going to try to spend a lot less time on this website, although I doubt that'll last. I wonder how long I can go before I start checking my applications and the results page obsessively.

11 out of 14 applications submitted! How many schools are people applying to?

I'm applying to 12. It's my first year applying, so maybe that's overkill, but they're all schools I'm interested in or would go to. Two are pretty big reaches though. I have 8 done, and the rest of the four are almost finished. I hope to have them all submitted by Tuesday. and after that, I will pretend I'm not constantly checking my application portals or lurking on this website. :P A few of my schools historially have started notifying in late Feb/early March, so I'm sure I'll be a lot more anxious then.

Also, I feel like some of the graduate schools are such trolls. I know it's not time to hear back yet, but I've had a few schools email me with an email that starts "Congratulations! You have completed your application for..." Did you really have to start the email about my application being complete that way? XD