Chancing and additional schools to consider

ar_rf

Applying to PhD programs in the winter and just wanted to get a feel for my position.

I am a little concerned that I have too much of an economics background and not enough stat/math in my resume. This also affects the recommendation letters I have access to, as my best ones are all in economics rather than stat/math. I'm not sure whether/how I should sell that angle.

Asian Male

3.86 GPA, top 10 private university

BA in Economics, Statistics

GRE: 167V, 170Q. Not taking the math GRE.

Classes: Analysis I-III (A, A-, A-), Probability (A), Stochastic Processes (A), Stat Theory I-II (A, B ), Linear Algebra (A), Time Series (A), Applied Stat (graduate, A-) many advanced econ classes (A/A- mostly)

Experience: Significant economics research, including RAing in college and working for a couple years as an RA afterwards. Currently in the submission process as a coauthor on an econ paper that will hopefully be published in a solid journal, though, again, I'm not sure how to sell this.

LoR: Great rec from a relatively unknown economics academic, decent rec from a well-known stats professor, and either an okay rec from a very well known economics professor or a very good rec from a less-known one.

My interests are fairly flexible, but currently I'm most interested in statistical learning and computational statistics. I have the most fun when I get to spend a lot of time coding, so more applied work seems to be a better fit. Not particularly interest in biostat, but I could be convinced.

I'm looking at a lot of top schools, though I'm not sure how much of a chance I have at many of them. Berkely, Washington, UChicago, CMU, UW-Madison, UMich, Columbia. I'm also looking for more schools that might not have top rankings but are good fits if anyone has suggestions.

Edited by ar_rf

I think you have a good chance of getting into several of those. Berkeley seems to be a bit more biased towards those with a huge amount of mathematical preparation (so those with more math classes will be looked at more favorably), but even there, I think your chances there are not bad. I think you have a good shot at a lot of the others. For reference, an assistant professor in statistics at my Masters institution had a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering and not a lot of math/stat classes beyond what you have, but she received her PhD in Stat at UW. It also seems to be more and more common for a lot of students to enter PhD programs in statistics without having taken real analysis too (so real analysis is now part of the PhD curriculum in stat at some schools, including the program I am attending now).

As for recommendation letters, I would go with the lesser-known professor who can write you a *great* LOR. If you have two strong letters and one decent letter I wouldn't be surprised if you get into most of the places on that list.

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

It also seems to be more and more common for a lot of students to enter PhD programs in statistics without having taken real analysis too (so real analysis is now part of the PhD curriculum in stat at some schools, including the program I am attending now).

I agree. Also being passionate about a subject helps a lot. Show your passion for stats.