DAAD

Horb

I'm thinking of applying for the Summer Intensive Grant (Deadline Dec. 15th). I'm a little concerned. I'm doing a PhD in English, but in my undergrad I did a double major in English and German and studied abroad. My study abroad time was rough (lots of issues getting placed in the correct language level course) and I want to go back to hit advanced for my PhD requirements. I also plan to use my German for research for my dissertation -- I focus on violence theory and Romantic/Victorian periods, so German is very useful.

Anyone have any idea what the likelihood of receiving the grant is? Or just want to chat about the experience? Full year DAAD applicants are welcome to join too!

Hey! I have heard lots of different estimates about the acceptance rate of the grant and I think the most consistent was around 20-30%. I got it last summer but I know some of my peers who applied and didn't receive it. It seemed kinda random though because I don't know my grades to be any better than those who I applied against. 

I did a month-long German course in Berlin after receiving the grant and it was awesome! It paid for my course, accommodations, and travel expenses! And because I was already in Europe doing my exchange I just got to pocket the travel expense money (in the sake of honesty, I told them about the situation but apparently since the money was already allocated to me I just got to keep it). What are your concerns? 

Well my main concern right now is that I just started my grad program, so I don't have grades from it yet for this app. I have a 3.9 GPA for undergrad (higher in my English major) and have already emailed the DAAD contact about getting two letters of rec, one from my grad program and one from my old adviser who knows me very well. I'm worried starting a new program might be a concern, but I know that the intensive language program would greatly help my studies and future career goals (I kinda hope, after getting a PhD, to go to Germany and teach English there). If you have any insight on the 500 word grant statement (tips and whatnot), please let me know!

And I would hope to do the Berlin or Bonn options. 

I'm also concerned that, since my German is very rusty in terms of speaking, that my lang. evaluation will be low and they won't see potential or something. 

So I am currently in undergrad so I don't know if our applications are different but in my statement of purpose I didn't write anything too crazy - just talked about how German would be a good opportunity for me and how it would tie into my current studies. If you would like I can send you mine but be forewarned - I sound pretty annoying in it haha (as I think most people do in SOPs). 

My language evaluation was only written but definitely try to do a small review before this - I had been in France for the 5 months previous and really struggled to switch languages in my brain and kept wanting to write in French! I wrote a note on mine stating this concern so I think that helped me get into a higher level.

Something I think should be noted - I chose one "popular" option (Berlin) and one "less popular" option (Aachen) and I think that is a good strategy - I don't know if the choices had anything to do with whether or not you get the grant but I assume they do and if you at least have a less in demand option you may be more likely to get at least that one. 

I didn't realize you got to choose location (haven't actually opened the app because I'm afraid of accidentally submitting it. I'd love to so a smaller town so that I have more immersion. 

• 2 weeks later...

For the school, I'd say German style (my friend just won the award for this year, but as I am applying only for the summer, I don't know for summer programs). I think for the scholarship she had it in English versions.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm applying for the full-year study scholarship for 2015-16... or rather, I've already applied, since the campus deadline to compete for my university's priority nomination was Oct 1. Now I'm just anxiously watching my email all the time to see if I win the priority spot, ha.

On that note, do any current or past DAAD scholarship applicants know anything about this "priority" system? From some googling around, it seems like partner universities get to select one or two priority applicants that go into a different/smaller pool, but I can't find more than that. Apparently it's still no guarantee. Anyone know what the odds are like if you make it into the priority pool?

Edited by zadigblue

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

zadigblue, I wish I could say I knew something about it.  I'm my school's priority applicant, but I'm not really clear how that works.  My advisor suggests that priority applicants have about a 70% (or better) chance of getting it, but it's never a sure thing.  I guess we'll find out in a couple of months!

Ah. I did the intensive language grant, though my friend applied for a study grant and another a research and her back in March/April. I'm hoping I hear back sooner as mine starts in June!

umamam, I'm a research applicant as well!  Best of luck to both of us!  We're not supposed to hear anything until late-ish March, though I know the committee is meeting in New York this week...

Horb, I did an intensive language grant through DAAD a couple years ago and they let me know fairly early on in the process.  I got an unofficial email in mid-February, then the official notification in March.  Still a ways to go yet, but you might hear something soon...especially if your program would start in June.  Best of luck!

umamam, I'm a research applicant as well!  Best of luck to both of us!  We're not supposed to hear anything until late-ish March, though I know the committee is meeting in New York this week...

Horb, I did an intensive language grant through DAAD a couple years ago and they let me know fairly early on in the process.  I got an unofficial email in mid-February, then the official notification in March.  Still a ways to go yet, but you might hear something soon...especially if your program would start in June.  Best of luck!

Interesting and good to know, thanks! I do indeed start in June so hopefully they will take pity on us...

Best of luck to you and congrats; sounds like you have pretty good chance at this point! 

Viggos: did you do it for grad or undergrad? I'm doing it for grad and I'm a little worried about costs, as they mention it might not cover all the expenses of the program. It is good to know I could later apply for a year long if I needed to/want to later in my ma/phd program.

Horb, I did it for grad and found the stipend covered almost everything.  It certainly covered food and local entertainment (of course, I was in provincial Schwaebisch Hall versus a more expensive city like Berlin).  Pretty much the only thing I had to shell out for was travel around Southern Germany on the weekends...and even a fair amount of that was covered.  A very sweet deal!

Are you applying for the Goethe Institut or another program?  Any ideas of which locale?