Searchable Database of Newspapers

ARealDowner

I've hit a snag in a research project I'm working on, and was wondering if anyone here might be able to assist me. I'm working on a project involving a content analysis of newspaper editorials from the 2009-2010 period, but I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive database of newspapers (and fear one suitable for my purposes might not exist). Ideally, I need something that has full access to at least one major newspaper for each of the fifty states (or some large number of them) during that time period, and that can be searched digitally. The closest I've been able to find is ProQuest's National Newspaper Premiere; however, it's only gotten me through 11 states. Lexis-Nexis doesn't appear to have many more states either.

I'd prefer not to have to resort to going to individual newspapers' online archives for reasons of cost and varying quality, so I thought I'd ask here on the off chance someone's done something similar to me and has some useful advice. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Have you visited your university's library and spoken with a librarian?  I used to work in a college library, and trust me when I say that even at a small institution there is likely a librarian on staff who can help you and would be thrilled to do so.  If you go to a larger institution there may even be a librarian who specializes particularly in newspapers.

It is really their job to help you with stuff exactly like this!