NRSA Question

sevensixfivefour

Hi all,

As a first year graduate student, my adviser suggested that it would be a good idea to apply for an NRSA.

I have a couple of interesting ideas to write about for an NRSA, but I am wondering one thing. How much should this NRSA differ from the existing grants in the lab? I'm afraid that I will write out an NRSA proposal and not get it approved because it was too similar to existing grants my lab currently has. 

Any advice here would be appreciated.

I'm assuming your adviser means you should apply for an F31.  Which is true.  Even if the grant is not awarded, it is good experience to write it. 

Usually, you have to pass your qualifying/comprehensive exams before you are awarded the grant, but that does not mean you can't write and submit before you take the exam (like I did). 

The grant application will differ quite a lot from the grants you already have in the lab simply because the F31 is to YOU and not to the science. Sure, you need a good scientific plan, but the large bulk of the application is about your training potential and environment.  The actual proposal doesn't have to be groundbreaking, but it should be feasible, elegantly written, and you should demonstrate that the research plan will give you appropriate training.  

Definitely write one. And good luck!  Just a heads up that all of the information that you need to digest to submit this grant is overwhelming.  I would suggest asking your office of grant management for help in the logistics!

Here is the information packet, and here is the funding opportunity announcement. It really pays (haha, see what I did there?) to read it all.  Grab some coffee.