Thoughts about my GRE score

brentwinslow93

Hello everyone!

I recently took my GREs for the first time and scored a Verbal: 164; Quantitative: 159; Writing: 5.5

I am hoping to get into some of the top programs for Political Science and Political Theory and want to know if I should take the time to retake my GREs. I've been looking at Chicago and Berkeley, but would also want to apply to Harvard, Princeton, etc. just to give it a shot. 

I also have a GPA of 3.99 and am a double major in Political Science and Philosophy with a minor in Classics, if that information helps.

Thank you very much in advance!

Have you been able to find averages for the programs youre interested in? My guess is that your scores are right around the averages for the top programs which is great palce to be. Once you pass a certain point, the GRE really doesnt seem to matter much and research experience and fit are the deciding factors. I think you have hit that point and should move your focus to perfecting your SOP and other application materials.

Disclaimer: I'm outside your field.

I do think those are good scores, not necessarily top top, but good and good is pretty much all you need for the GRE. Your high GPA makes me inclined to believe you'll have a good shot.